Shock Mounting Gyros

Old December 26th 05, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Shock Mounting Gyros

I am starting the planning of my panel and wondering how many people have
shock-mounted their gyros. Please also comment if you have NOT done so, and
weather or not you think it actually helped. I am working with limited
panel space (aren't we all) and the shock mounts will take up valuable real
estate. I am considering using the smaller lord mounts but would also like
to hear of other solutions people have found to accomplish the mission using
minimal extra panel space.

Thanks

Old December 28th 05, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Doug Palmer wrote:
I am starting the planning of my panel and wondering how many people have
shock-mounted their gyros. Please also comment if you have NOT done so, and
weather or not you think it actually helped. I am working with limited
panel space (aren't we all) and the shock mounts will take up valuable real
estate. I am considering using the smaller lord mounts but would also like
to hear of other solutions people have found to accomplish the mission using
minimal extra panel space.

Thanks

How about shock mounting the entire instrument panel?

--
J Kimmel

www.metalinnovations.com

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - When you have
their full attention in your grip, their hearts and minds will follow.

Old December 30th 05, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Doug Palmer" wrote in message
ink.net...
I considered this, however as doing the whole panel is a heavier item to
isolate, you end up using more/larger mounts and it becomes something of a
wash

Yes, but......
As the whole panel is heavier, if it is isolated as a whole, the weight is
more, it will be less likely to vibrate, since the resonate frequency will
be lower.

Pros and cons both ways. Another pro is, if the whole panel is isolated,
all of the other instruments will possibly last longer, too.
--
Jim in NC

Old December 30th 05, 06:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Consider a subpanel of the gyro instruments.
Modern gyros are much lighter than the one of the WWII generation!

Cessna use a 3/8" dia with 10-32 double stud. Granger carries a double
stud of 10-32 1/2 diameter
which is rated for about 17 pound in shear.
Numbers off the top of my head, need to actually look in the catalog.

Any type of vibration isolation will benenfit.

Kent Felkins
Tulsa

"JKimmel" wrote in message
et...

Old December 30th 05, 09:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 16:30:07 GMT, "Doug Palmer"
wrote:

I am starting the planning of my panel and wondering how many people have
shock-mounted their gyros. Please also comment if you have NOT done so, and
weather or not you think it actually helped. I am working with limited
panel space (aren't we all) and the shock mounts will take up valuable real
estate. I am considering using the smaller lord mounts but would also like
to hear of other solutions people have found to accomplish the mission using
minimal extra panel space.

Just bolt 'em in.

Old panels used to be isolated, then the gyros. I don't think the
modern panels do at all. Besides a few unusual attitudes without
caging is probably harder on them than the vibration.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Thanks

Old December 30th 05, 09:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

wrote:

I am starting the planning of my panel and wondering how many people have
shock-mounted their gyros. Please also comment if you have NOT done so, and
weather or not you think it actually helped. I am working with limited
panel space (aren't we all) and the shock mounts will take up valuable real
estate. I am considering using the smaller lord mounts but would also like
to hear of other solutions people have found to accomplish the mission using
minimal extra panel space.

Just bolt 'em in.

Old panels used to be isolated, then the gyros. I don't think the
modern panels do at all. Besides a few unusual attitudes without
caging is probably harder on them than the vibration.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Thanks

my panel has no vibration mounts.
instruments are still all serviceable after 20 years and 550hours.
the key to success is to make sure the prop and spinner are balanced
and to rebalance them if any vibration seems to be starting.
oh, that and keeping the exhaust pipes off the frames.

Stealth Pilot
Old December 30th 05, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Hi, I don't understand, are you building a Classic type of plane? If not,
why use 1930 and 1940 technology? I'm not to the point of building my panel
yet, but I'm going glass.
If you are rebuilding a panel, it's not cost effective, but if your going
from scatch.... I priced the GRT's EFIS & full engine monitor for the same
price as a vacumm system. You get a lot more than a Six pack system for the
same price. If you haven't purchased parts of your system, you may want to
check the features.
david
k.net...

Old January 1st 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 12:22:14 -0600, "David Koehler"
wrote:

Hi, I don't understand, are you building a Classic type of plane? If not,
why use 1930 and 1940 technology? I'm not to the point of building my panel
yet, but I'm going glass.

For a *basic* VFR panel you can't beat a few mechanical gages for cost
and return.

OTOH my G-III if I ever get it done will be full, dual, redundant
glass with the required mechanical backups.

If you are rebuilding a panel, it's not cost effective, but if your going
from scatch.... I priced the GRT's EFIS & full engine monitor for the same

Engine monitor?

Even in the Deb I only have one CHT and one EGT probe.
Again on the G-III everything will be monitored complete with trends.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

price as a vacumm system. You get a lot more than a Six pack system for the
same price. If you haven't purchased parts of your system, you may want to
check the features.
david
nk.net...

Old January 4th 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

I used 4 AN-1000-8's (IIRC) on the red parasol.
It worked well, for a small panel (under 10 pounds).

I also found a steel cup washer that fit the AN-1000's and used
a couple of them to "tune" the panel response rate a little higher.

For the Tailwind I woas gonna do the panel in sections using the
same tricks....

Richard