Dittel radio squelch

Old September 21st 16, 06:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Dittel radio squelch

The squelch on my Dittel FSG 50 has got to the point where it lets a lot of noise through. After a search of the Internet, I have found many allusions to the fact that this can be adjusted with one of the internal pots, but cannot find any reference of which one to actually turn. I've attached a link to a picture of the inside of my radio and I'm hoping that one of the many technical minds on r.a.s can tell me which one I should adjust.
Thanks in advance for the help.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B46...w?usp=drivesdk
Old September 21st 16, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

There is a good chance you don't have a problem with squelch at all, but you do have a problem with interference from all the other electrical devices in your panel. Your radio is doing exactly what it is designed to do.........present a weak signal for you to hear! If you turn down the internal squelch, you will also be denying any and all weak signals that everybody else is hearing. What other instruments do you have in your panel and how close are they to your radio? Try turning off the other instruments,one at a time to see if your radio stops breaking squelch.
JJ
Old September 21st 16, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Sounds reasonable, I guess the next questions are...
-any new devices added?
-any wiring recently moved?
-any devices moved?

I would start with the new stuff, work backward from there.
Old September 22nd 16, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston

On Wednesday, September 21, 2016 at 7:46:27 AM UTC-7, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Sounds reasonable, I guess the next questions are...
-any new devices added?
-any wiring recently moved?
-any devices moved?

I would start with the new stuff, work backward from there.

I ran into problems with an inexpensive DC/DC converter (12v to 5v for USB). Lots of the electronics we use generate noise. The cheap converter broke squelch so badly the radio wasn't usable. Solved the issue by getting a different converter unit.

Good luck,
7Q
Old September 22nd 16, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

I also was getting a lot of breaking of the squelch with a cheap 12V USB converter. I later used a Dell adapter like the one that came with the Dell Streak and it was very RF quiet.

MB
Old September 22nd 16, 07:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sig_ZA

Since I installed my Flarm Red Box I also get a lot of interference. I adjusted the squelch pot a bit. You should be able to Google a manual. I tried various ferrite chockes, but they didn't help.
Old September 22nd 16, 11:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 23:51:07 -0700, Sig_ZA wrote:

Since I installed my Flarm Red Box I also get a lot of interference. I
adjusted the squelch pot a bit. You should be able to Google a manual. I
tried various ferrite chockes, but they didn't help.

I've used a very cheap 12v-5v converter (a fleaBay plastic cigar lighter
5v source) to power a variety of PDAs without upsetting either an ATR 500
or my current Dittel KRT2 radio.

However, I did remove the switch-mode electronics from the plastic shell
and installed it in a small metal box with ferrites on all the leads to
and from it. These small switch-mode voltage converters do tend to
generate RF hash, so need to be installed in metal or metallised plastic
enclosures. Besides, doing this and using good connectors is much more
reliable than using a Maplins/Radio Shack (RIP) cigar lighter socket and
either holding the converter in with wing tape or simply hoping it won't
leap out some day.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old September 22nd 16, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
andrew mcquigg

Old September 22nd 16, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
andrew mcquigg

On Wednesday, September 21, 2016 at 1:40:52 AM UTC-4, wrote:
The squelch on my Dittel FSG 50 has got to the point where it lets a lot of noise through. After a search of the Internet, I have found many allusions to the fact that this can be adjusted with one of the internal pots, but cannot find any reference of which one to actually turn. I've attached a link to a picture of the inside of my radio and I'm hoping that one of the many technical minds on r.a.s can tell me which one I should adjust.
Thanks in advance for the help.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B46...w?usp=drivesdk

I have had this problem and there is a pot that will adjust the squelch
issue that you are having.Your picture covers up this pot by those yellow
straps.I believe I can find a diagram that Karl sent to me years ago.If so
I will notify you.