First 2 1/2 hours PPL(H) today!

Old September 14th 05, 03:49 PM
Beav

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 01:14:18 +0100, "Beav"
wrote:

I remember you mentioning the odd prob.

As soon as I get my refund (Which I *STILL* haven't received) I'll be
posting all the gory details....

I wait with bated breath.

That's always a good thing. You can even see the weather from your bed :-)

I have the airport's ATIS on my speed dial. Just press 1# and I'm
connected.

You're beoming an anorak you are :-)

- plus the chief pilot has something like 20,000 hours in
helicopters)

He must've used up all his luck by now

When I got my sign-off to fly their R22s under my ticket, I had to go
do autos with him. He flew the 1st one with his left hand on the
cyclic and his right hand on MY collective and did a full down with a
setdown gentler than my setdowns with power.

*******:-) A friend of mine is an instructor on R22,'s and even with close
to 2000 hours insrucing on them, he still hates doing full down auto's when
he demo's them for students. He's about to convert to Enstroms now though,
and they auto a lot more easily.

The man can fly the hell out of a helicopter (And he's a helluva nice
guy to boot!)

Looks like a damed good combination.

I've heard rumors he autos his MD500 to the trolley he uses to cart
the thing in and out of the hangar with. I'd love to see that...

I have another pal in Sweden who used to do the same thing with both his
Bell 47G and his Enstrom. The cart had two lines painted on it (one for the
left skid, the other for the front cross strut) and was never more than half
an inch off being dead centre when he landed. Very impressive. He had a
(home fitted) gas strut that held the door open on his Enstrom and he
unlatched the door as he was auto-ing, then leaned out and just looked at
the cart. Put the ****s up me when I first experienced it, but he was GOOD,
so I got used to it.

Mind you, he's another guy that doesn't fly heli's anymore. He bought a
float plane (lots of places to land in Sweden in one of those) and now
enjoys much cheaper thrills.

--
Beav

Reply to "beavis dot original at ntlworld dot com" (with the obvious
changes)

Old September 14th 05, 11:31 PM
Simon Robbins

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
OK, Ya lost me there... The only meaning of anorak I'm aware of is
something like a jacket.. I guess you could be inferring I'm
flatulent (i.e a "windbreaker") or I'm taking the wind out of your
sales.. I wish you Brits would speak English... heehhe

Heh-heh... Got to love the subtleties of the English language as spoken by
the English. Reminds me of when I lived in Canada and my friends would
borrow my UK motorcycle magazines: "I don't get it. They rave about how
good this bike is, then say it's the ********... Doesn't ******** mean
bad?" I gave them the whole treatise on the word and found it's got about
six different meanings, most of which are contextual. But in this case,
you're right: Anorak is a type of jacket. But it's the most unfashionaly
uncool style of jacket you could have. The kind of lightweight thin (often
blue) plastic that folds up into it's own pocket allowing you to carry it
around strapped to your belt for that *really* uncool look. The term's used
to describe someone who's obsessive about their subject, (often one that
bores everyone else within range, like train spotting.) It's most commonly
used in jest, to imply someone just knows that little too much. Someone who
spends all day on their computer (and waffles to anyone who'll listen about
Linux, or memorises aircraft specifications, or football statistics could
all be called Anoraks.

Si

Old September 15th 05, 04:15 AM
Shiver

The OTHER Kevin in San Diego wrote:

WTF is train spotting???

Kevin.... I'm shocked

train spotting - standing by train tracks looking at trains

plane spotting - hanging around airports looking at planes

girl spotting - hanging around anywhere looking at chicks

cop spotting - what drug dealers do when they are standing around
Old September 15th 05, 10:20 AM
Quilljar

As I see it, the main problem is similar to 'You say tomahto, and I say
tomayto.'
In the UK we see an enormous amount of US media, films, TV, soaps etc. Our
TV is almost overpowered by it, and we soon get to know American slang, even
if we don't always use it.
On the other hand, the US only screens a very small percentage of UK films
and TV and so our contemporary slang is thus less familiar.

We know what a geek and a dork is, but we call them anoraks. ******** is not
good, but 'The dog's ********' is excellent !

I reckon the Freeflow Bermuda Scenery is the dog's ********!

Cheers,

Quilly

Old September 15th 05, 04:38 PM
Quilljar

Those 2 I know.. But what exactly is a "bollock"?

It's a long time since anyone asked me that!

But it is simply a more colourful word for a testicle.

--
Cheers,

Quilly

Sorry, but an individual reply goes into my spam filter

Old September 15th 05, 05:48 PM
Bill Leaming

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 17:52:50 +0100, Simon Robbins wrote:

I remember from when I was a kid, as my dad was a "railway enthusiast",
"train spotter" being considered a derogatory term if I recall correctly.
Basically you can buy these little books with all the registration numbers
of all the UK based trains. People travel the whole country just to track
down or see by chance any engines they've not seen before. They then
strike-off that reg in the book. (Yeah, I know. It doesn't make any
rational sense...) I think plane spotters kind of do the same. Girl
spotters, well yeah. Again, it only counts if you get their numbers!! :^)

Well, it takes all kinds to make the world interesting. Did you know that
there are actually people who make a hobby out of finding and documenting
navaids? The travel around and track down NDBs, VORs and other such
"interesting" things... g

Bill
Old September 15th 05, 05:52 PM
Simon Robbins

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
train spotting - standing by train tracks looking at trains

Sounds like fun... (uh huh)

Old September 17th 05, 02:08 AM
Beav

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:49:49 +0100, "Beav"
wrote:

As soon as I get my refund (Which I *STILL* haven't received) I'll be
posting all the gory details....

I wait with bated breath.

Like you have any other kind??? hehehe

Garlic tonight

That's always a good thing. You can even see the weather from your bed
:-)

I have the airport's ATIS on my speed dial. Just press 1# and I'm
connected.

You're beoming an anorak you are :-)

OK, Ya lost me there... The only meaning of anorak I'm aware of is
something like a jacket..

Precisiely that. And people who wear them are usually some kind of nerdy
pencil collecting, speed dial using train spotters:-))

I guess you could be inferring I'm
flatulent (i.e a "windbreaker") or I'm taking the wind out of your
sales..

I'm selling nowt this week.

I wish you Brits would speak English... heehhe

I wish you Yanks could SPELL in english:-))) (Sails)

*******:-) A friend of mine is an instructor on R22,'s and even with close
to 2000 hours insrucing on them, he still hates doing full down auto's
when
he demo's them for students. He's about to convert to Enstroms now though,
and they auto a lot more easily.

I don't care for autos in the R22 either. Things happen way too quick
in 'em. Now the R44 is another story entirely....

He (my pal) was out in a 44 this week. Not doing the flying, but just
enjoying the ride. He thinks it's a world away from his 22.

The man can fly the hell out of a helicopter (And he's a helluva nice
guy to boot!)

Looks like a damed good combination.

Yep. Gonna get my R44 sign-off this weekend with him. Once that's
done, I've promised my kids a ride for the $1000 lunch.. Looking
forward to flying wit him 'cuz he's such a wealth of knowledge it's
not even funny. I'd love to work for/with him once I get my CFI...

Get your request in now, or some other bugger will get in there before you.

I have another pal in Sweden who used to do the same thing with both his
Bell 47G and his Enstrom. The cart had two lines painted on it (one for
the
left skid, the other for the front cross strut) and was never more than
half
an inch off being dead centre when he landed. Very impressive. He had a
(home fitted) gas strut that held the door open on his Enstrom and he
unlatched the door as he was auto-ing, then leaned out and just looked at
the cart. Put the ****s up me when I first experienced it, but he was
GOOD,
so I got used to it.

That'd be cool to see in either case, much cooler to be IN the thing
when it was done. I wonder if Rocky can do that.

I wouldn't doubt it for a minute. As for it being cool, it is, but only
after you get the idea it's not all going to end in tears.

Mind you, he's another guy that doesn't fly heli's anymore. He bought a
float plane (lots of places to land in Sweden in one of those) and now
enjoys much cheaper thrills.

I can't afford even the cheap thrills... Although I'd love to have a
Lancair..

I can't tell you which model of plank he has, but it'll be getting plenty of
use, I know THAT much at least. Too many aircraft spend too much time sat
sitting, but his never do.

Old September 17th 05, 02:13 AM
Beav

"Simon Robbins" wrote in message
"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
OK, Ya lost me there... The only meaning of anorak I'm aware of is
something like a jacket.. I guess you could be inferring I'm
flatulent (i.e a "windbreaker") or I'm taking the wind out of your
sales.. I wish you Brits would speak English... heehhe

Heh-heh... Got to love the subtleties of the English language as spoken
by
the English. Reminds me of when I lived in Canada and my friends would
borrow my UK motorcycle magazines: "I don't get it. They rave about how
good this bike is, then say it's the ********... Doesn't ******** mean
bad?"

It's "The ********" when it's good. Something that's "********" on it's own
is bad, but something that's "THE ********" or "the dog's ********" is good.
A LOAD of bollcks is te same a "it's bull****".

Here endeth the first English lesson, which was actually the dogs goolies of
a lesson, even if I do say so myself:-)

I gave them the whole treatise on the word and found it's got about
six different meanings, most of which are contextual. But in this case,
you're right: Anorak is a type of jacket. But it's the most unfashionaly
uncool style of jacket you could have. The kind of lightweight thin (often
blue) plastic that folds up into it's own pocket allowing you to carry it
around strapped to your belt for that *really* uncool look.

The "Dwayne Dibbly" look. "Dwayne" is the Duke or Dork and stars in the
occasional episode of "Red Dwarf". His anorack is to DIE for, as are his
teeth. (You need to be a fan of course)

The term's used
to describe someone who's obsessive about their subject, (often one that
bores everyone else within range, like train spotting.) It's most
commonly
used in jest, to imply someone just knows that little too much. Someone
who
spends all day on their computer (and waffles to anyone who'll listen
about
Linux, or memorises aircraft specifications, or football statistics could
all be called Anoraks.

Indeed they could (a-)

Old September 17th 05, 02:20 AM
Beav

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 23:31:15 +0100, "Simon Robbins"
wrote:

[...]

OK, now that begs the question.. (and shows my apparent ignorance)

WTF is train spotting???

Ahhh, well there you go. Train spotting is an art, only to be undertaken
whilst wearing an anorack and carrying a thermos flask and a plastic
Tupperware box full of cheese sandwiches. And a pickled onion.

It requires GREAT skill and fortitude as it entails spending endless hours
standing (real train spotters never SIT) at the side of a well travelled
railway track (or better still, at a train siding (depot to you blokes),
taking note of the locomotive's number as it rumbles, speeds or slitheres
by. This number is then checked against the numbers in the Train Spotter
Reference Book, where once found, the number is actually UNDERLINED in the
book. This can then be used to demonstrate to other train spotters that you
spotted NUMBER 432186. That can be worth at least 2 pints down the boozer. A
good train spoter will have at least 50 books all underlined in neat
script:-)

They are NOT obsessed:-)))

Couldn't Beav have just said "you're a dork" or "you need to get out
more often"?

"Dork" just doesn't cut it Kev. Sory, but anyone using a speed dialer is FAR
FAR beyond the Dork stage:-)