Blue Angels F-18A Hornet on E-Bay

Old February 5th 04, 05:55 PM
Mr Smith

Default Blue Angels F-18A Hornet on E-Bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ategory=46 72

What do you guys think ??

Legit or bogus ?

Old February 5th 04, 06:45 PM
Larry

What's the BUNO? It's likely an old A-4 or older?

Not fair to display a pic of an F-18 when it is obviously not the bird up
for auction!

Larry
AECS (AW/SW/MTS)
Disabled Combat Veteran
USN 'Retired'
Can't call it 'retired' when the Feds steal my 'retirement' check through
the Disabled Veterans Tax (how cute- they call it 'offset'. It's really just
theft!)

Old February 5th 04, 08:41 PM
Lynn in StLou

"Mr Smith" wrote in message

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ategory=46 72

What do you guys think ??

Legit or bogus ?

Per bureau number, it is an F-18 and is a former Blue Angel
aircraft.

http://cgibin.rcn.com/jeremy.k/cgi-b...61973&series=3

--
Lynn in StLou
REMOVE anti-spam measure to reply

Old February 5th 04, 08:47 PM
Mike Lechnar

The ad clearly says it's an F-18. I'm predicing that it's a hoax. The
"buy it now" price of $800,000 seems a bit low.

Namsman

Old February 5th 04, 08:47 PM
Bob McKellar

Mr Smith wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ategory=46 72

What do you guys think ??

Legit or bogus ?

This is the entry from Joe Baugher's database:

161973 was Blue Angels aircraft. Offered for public sale by Air Capitol
Warbirds as of Feb 2002

This is the search site ( very handy for issues like this!):
http://users.rcn.com/jeremy.k/serialSearch.html

Bob McKellar

Old February 5th 04, 09:01 PM
Greasy Rider

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 15:47:56 -0500, Bob McKellar
arranged phosphur particles on my screen with the following:

161973 was Blue Angels aircraft. Offered for public sale by Air Capitol
Warbirds as of Feb 2002

This is the search site ( very handy for issues like this!):
http://users.rcn.com/jeremy.k/serialSearch.html

Bob McKellar

Now that the issue has been settled I guess I'll put in my bid. seg

Old February 5th 04, 09:08 PM
Harry Andreas

In article , "Larry"
wrote:

What's the BUNO? It's likely an old A-4 or older?

Not fair to display a pic of an F-18 when it is obviously not the bird up
for auction!

?? The description on the ebay page states it's an F/A-18A; doesn't
say anything about being an A-4. Also gives the serno, although not
buno.
Why do you think it's bogus?

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur
Old February 5th 04, 09:38 PM
John

Bob McKellar wrote:

Mr Smith wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ategory=46 72
What do you guys think ??
Legit or bogus ?

This is the entry from Joe Baugher's database:

161973 was Blue Angels aircraft. Offered for public sale by Air Capitol
Warbirds as of Feb 2002

This is the search site ( very handy for issues like this!):
http://users.rcn.com/jeremy.k/serialSearch.html

Bob McKellar

appears to be what they claim..

http://www.airwarbirds.com/f_a-18_pics.htm

However I doubt that the F-18 could be flyable.
their website sez that the aircraft is complete, but judging from the photos
it appears to be some "damage" may just be photo angle.
but since this company flies military aircraft, and is offering this
bird for such a low price, I'll bet that its not flyable, and would be good
for display or movie work only......

Old February 5th 04, 09:54 PM
Mr Smith

I contacted the seller, he states the aircraft is not
airworthy at this time and he's not the actual owner,
just brokering the sale. It would need to be "gone
over" before it can fly.

He also stated it has not been de-mil'd. Were F-18A's
in the Blue Angel's mission capable (outside their PR
role) ? I can't see how it would be legal to sell an
untouched, strike capable aircraft.

One would presume export control laws would apply if
a buyer in say, Iran, wanted to bid on it.

The Buy-It-Now price does seem rather low.

It might reflect a "I-need-to-get-rid-of-this-because
I-can't-insure-it" dilemma the owner has.

All the Hornet drivers here, if I'm a Citation X pilot
with 4500+ hrs, how difficult is landing a Hornet ?
I imagine the ONLY place one can acquire training on
them is in the Navy (Marines included).

Old February 5th 04, 10:54 PM
Larry

Why do you think it's bogus?
The description is pretty vauge (at least to me) and the price seems pretty
low.

Besides, how many F-18's are available for sale anywhere else? I'm thinking
zero.

My 2 cents.

Larry
AECS (AW/SW/MTS)
Disabled Combat Veteran
USN 'Retired'
Can't call it 'retired' when the Feds steal my 'retirement' check through
the Disabled Veterans Tax (how cute- they call it 'offset'. It's really just
theft!)