Motorglider, medical?

Old August 21st 05, 09:03 PM
Juan Jimenez

Default Motorglider, medical?

I know that a medical is not needed to fly a glider. Does the same apply to
motorgliders?

Juan

Old August 21st 05, 09:31 PM
BTIZ

IN THE USA
a Motor Glider is a Glider.. Glider rules apply.
You need a "Glider Rating", not AIRPLANE
and you need a "Self Launch" endorsement to use the motor

Which motor glider are you looking at and where are you?
BT

Old August 22nd 05, 02:24 AM
Robert M. Gary

It would depend on the type certificate for the aircraft. If it says
"Airplane" you need a medical. If it is certified as a "Glider" you are
ok. All the motor gliders I know of are certified as "Gliders" so you'd
be ok. However, you still need to self-certify. If you've been turned
down for an FAA medical you may have problems.

Old August 22nd 05, 04:07 AM
Juan Jimenez

There doesn't seem to be anything in the regs that mentions anything about
having been turned down, in reference to the paragraph that says no medical
is needed for exercising the privs of a glider rating. Says no medical
certificate necessary for gliders, and if motorgliders falls under gliders,
seems pretty clear to me... the ref to not having been turned down only
applies to...

(i) A student pilot certificate while seeking sport pilot privileges in a
light-sport aircraft other than a glider or balloon;
(ii) A sport pilot certificate in a light-sport aircraft other than a glider
or balloon; or

(iii) A flight instructor certificate with a sport pilot rating while acting
as pilot in command or serving as a required flight crewmember of a
light-sport aircraft other than a glider or balloon.

oups.com...

Old August 22nd 05, 04:52 AM
BTIZ

pay attention to 61.53, if you are flying with a known deficiency.. even in
a glider.. you are illegal