Piper Arrow Shoulder Belt Tensioner

Old November 20th 09, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
John T[_8_]

Default Piper Arrow Shoulder Belt Tensioner

My partner and I are having a discussion about how the original pilot's
shoulder belt tensioner is supposed to work in our 1978 Arrow III.
Currently, it always applies tension, which bothers him a bit during
long flights. He thinks it should latch or ratchet so that once it
finds a position, it should stay put without the tension tugging on him.

I have a more cynical view of 1978 airplane technology. I've suggested
a clothes pin be put on the belt just outside the retractor. I'm
thinking he has too many hours flying a Lexus.

Any comments on whether this is a design flaw or a mechanism failure?
Annual is coming due and we're working on the squawk list.

Thanks!

Old November 21st 09, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel[_6_]

In article KnANm.23$C3.9@llnews,
John T wrote:

My partner and I are having a discussion about how the original pilot's
shoulder belt tensioner is supposed to work in our 1978 Arrow III.
Currently, it always applies tension, which bothers him a bit during
long flights. He thinks it should latch or ratchet so that once it
finds a position, it should stay put without the tension tugging on him.

To the best of my knowledge he is correct.
fwiw - the tensioner latches on my 1974 Cherokee 140.
Old November 21st 09, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Noel

John, my 74 Archer shoulder belt provides constant, though to me not very
noticeable, tension. I recently replaced a retractor mechanism and it also
has constant tension.

Best Regards,
Mike.