Fighting the high cost of flying

Old June 5th 08, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Default Fighting the high cost of flying

GA is dying. In fact, it's already dead at many (perhaps most?) airports
across America. The high price of gas, insurance, aircraft, hangars, fees,
training, plus the unreliability and hassle factors have kept all but the
fanatical (a group in which I proudly include myself) away from airports.

Our flying has suffered as well. Even with three pilots in the family, it's
hard to justify flying a plane like Atlas (our Cherokee 235 Pathfinder) that
burns a whopping 25 gph at take-off. There is no way my son could afford to
rent that plane from us, and even renting a Cessna 150 once or twice a month
is almost beyond his financial capability.

So, a group of us started looking for solutions. We wanted to partner on :

- A small, affordable aircraft
- Preferably Light Sport
- Something that burns car gas

Then we started discussing the problem for the kids. A group of us already
have aircraft of our own, and also have children who are pilots (or who want
to be) that simply can't afford to pay the FBO's rental rates.

We also wanted to do something to enhance the social aspects (or lack
thereof) of our airport. All of us are members of FOICA (Friends of Iowa
City Airport) -- a support group that we started several years ago that has
become the social center of the airport -- but we wanted to do something
that would help expand aviation to kids as well as adults, while
simultaneously expanding the social opportunities at the airport.

Thus, the "Family Flying Club" was born. Iowa City Flying Club has
incorporated as a non-profit, with the (somewhat unique) arrangement that
permits two classes of membership:

- Full membership -- this gives you ownership rights and privileges
- Associate membership -- open only to the immediate family members of the
full members, this level allows you full use of the club plane(s) by paying
an hourly rate.

This makes membership far more affordable and attainable for kids, and
encourages family members to take flight lessons.

We have purchased a 1948 Ercoupe -- a cute little 2-seat aircraft that sips
mogas at just 5 gallons per hour. According to my calculations, we can
rent the plane for just $14/hour dry -- a price our kids can easily afford.
We got a good deal on a plane that was in a taxiing accident (one of our
partner/members is my A&P/IA) and will therefore have a minimal amount of
money invested ($20K), split three ways. And, of course, we can always add
more members, which will reduce that commitment even more.

Here are some pics of our new bird:
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/2008_-_ercoupe_n94856.htm Cute, no?

It's not LSA certified, unfortunately -- but we discovered that LSA-Ercoupes
are essentially one-person planes. So, we had to look for a model with
greater useful load, which disqualify them for LSA status.

In the end, I think we will have made flying more affordable, in a fun
little plane that we can park in the antique/classic section at OSH. Our
kids can afford to fly it, and (assuming more families join the club) we
should be able to expand our pilot base, while creating an opportunity for
more social interaction at the airport.

Win-win-win!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 5th 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
piynuB eht eitreB[_5_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

GA is dying.

No it isn't you fjukktard. The only thing dying are your brain cells.

Bertie

Old June 5th 08, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Rod

Jay Honeck wrote:

In the end, I think we will have made flying more affordable, in a fun
little plane that we can park in the antique/classic section at OSH.
Our kids can afford to fly it, and (assuming more families join the
club) we should be able to expand our pilot base, while creating an
opportunity for more social interaction at the airport.

Win-win-win!

:-)

Excellent move, Jay. Looks like a real clean airplane. I think lots of
folks will be making a move in a similar direction. What's the plan for
Atlas.

Rod

Old June 5th 08, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Excellent move, Jay. Looks like a real clean airplane. I think lots of
folks will be making a move in a similar direction. What's the plan for
Atlas.

Well, for now we're planning to keep Atlas. With a 1460 pound useful load,
and 140 knot speeds, it allows us to be in Florida in just 5 hours,
Wisconsin in 90 minutes, Kansas City in two hours, etc.

The Ercoupe will be a fun little 95 mph plane, but a cross-country family
hauler it is not... Of course, once the kids are grown and out of the
house, will we still need a minivan/airplane? Probably not.

It really depends on what happens with 100LL and the cost of fuel in
general.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
"Rod" wrote in message
.. .

Old June 6th 08, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

Excellent move, Jay. Looks like a real clean airplane. I think lots
of folks will be making a move in a similar direction. What's the
plan for Atlas.

Well, for now we're planning to keep Atlas. With a 1460 pound useful
load, and 140 knot speeds, it allows us to be in Florida in just 5
hours, Wisconsin in 90 minutes, Kansas City in two hours, etc.

The Ercoupe will be a fun little 95 mph plane, but a cross-country
family hauler it is not... Of course, once the kids are grown and
out of the house, will we still need a minivan/airplane? Probably
not.

It really depends on what happens with 100LL and the cost of fuel in
general.

I'm sure florida Wisconsin and Kansas city are waiting your decision with
bated breath.

Bertie
Old June 7th 08, 06:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

On Jun 5, 6:54 pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
[...]

Just having returned from a 400NM trip, I have to say there are other
reasons besides fuel cost that is against GA. Today's automobiles have
come a long way in comfort, speed and convenience. The same level of
comfort only exists in airplanes that cost several million bucks.

The 95F heat this afternoon made the 10 minute taxi and run-up feel
like an eternity. Even with the cabin fan at full blast we were
suffocating by the time we took off. Then there was the 30 knots
headwind all the way, which increased the trip time by a full hour.
Even with ANR, the noise was physically draining. Now combine this
with a 2-year old in the back seat. I find it is impossible to justify
to your family that this is better way of traveling.

I could not see my family suffer through this ordeal, so I stopped at
an airport and rented a brand new Toyota Prius and told them to drive
it home, one of the best decision I have made in a long time. It was
definitely longer than flying, but it was way more comfy and cost far
less than flying. Next time I have decided to drive for family trips.

Old June 7th 08, 07:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon Woellhaf

Denver to Salt Lake and back. Cessna 182Q. Six hours. $300 for fuel. No
traffic, no road construction, no rough roads, no speed limit, can wander a
quarter mile left or right.

Denver to Salt Lake and back. Jeep Grand Cherokee. Eighteen hours. $200 for
fuel. None of the above.

I'd still rather fly when I can.

Jon

Old June 7th 08, 07:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jack Mehoff[_2_]

Jon Woellhaf wrote:
Denver to Salt Lake and back. Cessna 182Q. Six hours. $300 for fuel. No
traffic, no road construction, no rough roads, no speed limit, can wander a
quarter mile left or right.

Denver to Salt Lake and back. Jeep Grand Cherokee. Eighteen hours. $200 for
fuel. None of the above.

I'd still rather fly when I can.

Jon

Limber up those calf muscles boy

Between two oilmen in the White House and
the impending ass busting Iran is going to
get we will all be on bicycles soon

Old June 7th 08, 11:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message

[...]

Noise, vibration and temperature.

In the past 40 years, the improvement in the automobile has been remarkable,
in the comparable aircraft, almost no change at all.