Opinions please, preferred pattern joining methods

Old January 30th 05, 09:08 PM

Default Opinions please, preferred pattern joining methods

Consider you're NE of the airfield, non towered airport, runway 18/36,
standard left pattern applies, with runway 36 the active. I'm
interested in hearing what your personal method of joining the pattern
would be, while adhering to the FAR's and AIM.

I've two thoughts:

Fly south, then west, pass overhead the field, and then 2 or 3 miles
later do a descending 225 degree right turn, and join on a 45 degree
to downwind, or

Stay east and then south of the airport, and join a straight in
outside 5 sm.

Opinions?

Stan
Old January 30th 05, 09:56 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message

Consider you're NE of the airfield, non towered airport, runway 18/36,
standard left pattern applies, with runway 36 the active. I'm
interested in hearing what your personal method of joining the pattern
would be, while adhering to the FAR's and AIM.

I've two thoughts:

Fly south, then west, pass overhead the field, and then 2 or 3 miles
later do a descending 225 degree right turn, and join on a 45 degree
to downwind, or

Stay east and then south of the airport, and join a straight in
outside 5 sm.

Opinions?

Head southwest and enter left downwind.

Old January 30th 05, 11:20 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"A Lieberman" wrote in message
.. .

ASSUMING IFR conditions (900 ft ceilings at my airport), I would descend
quick as I can to MDA, I then would cross midfield, turn left for downwind
and circle to land on 36.

To go out 5 miles for a straight in, you run the risk of losing the runway
environment should visibility be lower then VFR minimums.

Why are you concerned about losing the runway environment should visibility
be lower then VFR minimums if you're already assuming IFR conditions? If a
900' ceiling makes it IFR conditions we're talking about a Class E surface
area.

Old January 30th 05, 11:26 PM
Dan Luke

Fly SW and cross midfield at pattern altitude; join the the left
downwind.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old January 30th 05, 11:26 PM
Bob Gardner

I like your first solution better than the second. Having said that, neither
the regs nor the AIM provide much guidance in the situation you describe.
Look at Advisory Circular 90-66A for more relevant information.

Bob Gardner

Old January 30th 05, 11:30 PM

Forgot to say vfr flight. I know, the group is "ifr". Sorry, my
mistake

Stan

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 16:23:04 -0600, A Lieberman
wrote:
Stan,

ASSUMING IFR conditions (900 ft ceilings at my airport), I would descend

Old January 30th 05, 11:46 PM
A Lieberman

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 23:20:54 GMT, Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

Why are you concerned about losing the runway environment should visibility
be lower then VFR minimums if you're already assuming IFR conditions? If a
900' ceiling makes it IFR conditions we're talking about a Class E surface
area.

Hi Steven,

I am very new to this IFR stuff so bear with me....

I was told that on a VOR A type approach or circle to land, that once you
identify the runway environment, you must remain in visual contact.

Once you lose sight of the runway environment, I was told you must execute
a missed approach. Even though I may be in class E space, I must maintain
visual contact with the runway environement to land. Thus my position to
overfly the airport and always to keep it in my sight.

If I was to extend my downwind or an extended final to such where I lose
contact with the runway (as proposed by the original poster, a five mile
final), then missed approach would be appropriate especially if you are
coming into an airport without nav aids such as a localizer or ILS.

I am based in MBO (Madison MS) and runway 17/35 does not have any nav aids
for landing other then the VOR A or B approach.

In my instrument training, I have landed at minimums at MBO with my
instructor, and I sure was glad to experience it with a CFI on board!
Coming in at minimums makes for a VERY TIGHT pattern.

The poster subsequently did post that what should be done under VFR
conditions.

Hope this makes sense.

Allen
Old January 31st 05, 12:04 AM
Daniel L. Lieberman

Bob,

Perhaps I am misunderstanding something but Figure 4-3-2 of the 2005 AIM
Shows only one entry to the pattern.

That is what you suggested. The straight in (his second choice) is probably
more dangerous. I would be concerned about the possibility of (if there is
an Instrument Approach to 36) someone coming in behind or above me.

I will look up the AC you referenced in an attempt to learn more. I know one
of the local DPEs might fail the straight in since he says the PTS
incorporates the AIM.

Daniel

http://www.usenet.com
Old January 31st 05, 12:37 AM
jsmith

Enter upwind crosswind on the 45 north of the field, procede with left
turn to downwind for R36.