Canadian Licence Question

Old December 31st 04, 05:06 AM

Default Canadian Licence Question

I am planning on doing my Private Pilot Licence but have a quick
question. Is there a minimum timeframe that all of the flights/written
exam/flight test must be completed in. I recall reading somewhere that
you have 24 months after the application for licence to complete
everything, or is this just the flight test. When does one actually
apply for the licence? Also, if I did a Recreational Permit first +
ground school, how long would the ground school + flight
lessons/written exam be valid for in case I wanted to upgrade years
down the road? I just want to understand the process before I visit a
flight school.

Thanks

Old December 31st 04, 07:30 AM
tony roberts

I'm not about to look it up for you, but from memory you can take as
long as you like but once you take the written you have 12 months to
pass the practical - or you take the written again .

You don't need a licence to fly dual with an instructor.
After you have decided that it is for you, you take the medical.
Again from memory, I believe that you have to take PStar before licence
- or maybe that is just before solo - either way you need your PStar.

To obtain a Canadian pilot licence you will have to become skilled at
finding answers friom the CFS, AIP and CAR's.
So you might as well start now.
The answers to all of your questions are in the CAR's.

HTH

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

Old December 31st 04, 11:31 AM
Rob McDonald

wrote in news:1104465961.555931.18690
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

I am planning on doing my Private Pilot Licence but have a quick
question. Is there a minimum timeframe that all of the flights/written
exam/flight test must be completed in.

The flights can take as long as you like, but the longer the time span
the more hours/money it is likely to take. I think that the ideal is to
have all the money and time available to do nothing but fly until you
complete the license. That way you don't waste time re-learning things.

I recall reading somewhere that
you have 24 months after the application for licence to complete
everything, or is this just the flight test.

You have 24 months after the written to complete your license
requirements. I believe you have 12 months after the flight test to
complete the license requirements.

When does one actually
apply for the licence?

When you complete the requirements your instructor signs off your student
permit which is then a temporary license, good for 90 days. If the
paperwork gods smile on you, your license arrive in the mail in less than
90 days.

Also, if I did a Recreational Permit first +
ground school, how long would the ground school + flight
lessons/written exam be valid for in case I wanted to upgrade years
down the road?

I considered doing this. I knew I wanted the private eventually, so I
decided that it would be best to just forge on through. If you want to
get the Rec license first, but plan on getting your private you can do
the PPL written and it will be good for both. If you can do the written
at the end of your Rec training it would be best, because you will have
two years to complete the PPL requirements.

One thing that is not always made clear - you do the flight test when
your instructor recommends you, not when everything else is completed.
You may still have to do the written test, or you may need some hood time
or solo cross country time to complete the requirements.

I just want to understand the process before I visit a
flight school.

Go ask them. They will be right up to date and give you more
authoritative answers than you will get here.

Rob