Two Arrested in Drone Incident That Disrupted Hundreds of Flights at Gatwick Aiport

Old December 23rd 18, 04:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Miloch

Default Two Arrested in Drone Incident That Disrupted Hundreds of Flights at Gatwick Aiport

https://gizmodo.com/two-arrested-in-...eds-1831279776

Following a drone incident that grounded planes and disrupted operations at the
UK’s second-largest airport just days ahead of Christmas, officials say they
have made two arrests in connection with the event.

Large drones appeared over London’s Gatwick Airport on Wednesday, resulting in
chaos during one of the busiest travel times of the year. Sussex Police now say
they arrested a 54-year-old woman and 47-year-old man, both of whom were said to
be from neighboring Crawley, just after 10 p.m. local time on Friday. The two
individuals were arrested on “suspicion of disrupting services of civil aviation
aerodrome to endanger or likely to endanger safety of operations or persons.”

“As part of our ongoing investigations into the criminal use of drones which has
severely disrupted flights in and out of Gatwick Airport, Sussex Police made two
arrests,” Superintendent James Collis of the Sussex Police said in a statement
on Saturday. “Our investigations are still on-going, and our activities at the
airport continue to build resilience to detect and mitigate further incursions
from drones, by deploying a range of tactics.”

The drones appeared Wednesday evening and were spotted through Thursday,
resulting in three shutdowns and service disruptions until Friday evening.
According to Reuters at the time, the devices reappeared near the airport each
time authorities attempted to reopen the runway for flights. According to the
New York Times, more than 1,000 flights were affected by the incident.

Motivations behind the incident remain unclear as of Saturday. Prior to the
arrests, police were looking into the possibility that the stunt was some kind
of environmental protest, the Guardian reported Friday. Assistant Chief
Constable Steve Barry of the Sussex Police told the paper that authorities were
considering a “whole spectrum of possibilities, from the really high-end
criminal behaviour all the way down to just individuals trying to be malicious.”

Whatever the motivation, the punishment could be severe. Per the Times, a
maximum sentence could be life imprisonment on conviction.

The incident, which the Guardian said was the “most disruptive incident ever
caused by a drone at a major international airport,” carries serious
implications for airport security on an international level. Chris Woodroofe,
Gatwick’s chief operating officer, called the incident an “unprecedented issue.”

“This isn’t a Gatwick Airport issue,” Woodroofe said. “It’s not even a UK issue.
It’s an international issue.”

*

Old December 23rd 18, 05:42 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Byker

"Miloch" wrote in message news

https://gizmodo.com/two-arrested-in-...eds-1831279776

Following a drone incident that grounded planes and disrupted operations
at the UK’s second-largest airport just days ahead of Christmas, officials
say they have made two arrests in connection with the event.

I was expecting them to be mischievous schoolboys, not middle-aged
eco-kooks...

Old December 23rd 18, 03:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Graham Harrison[_4_]

On Sat, 22 Dec 2018 22:42:11 -0600, "Byker" wrote:

"Miloch" wrote in message news

https://gizmodo.com/two-arrested-in-...eds-1831279776

Following a drone incident that grounded planes and disrupted operations
at the UK’s second-largest airport just days ahead of Christmas, officials
say they have made two arrests in connection with the event.

I was expecting them to be mischievous schoolboys, not middle-aged
eco-kooks...

They've been released without charge. Not even on bail as far as I
can see.

Somehow they didn't look the part to me.
Old December 23rd 18, 04:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Byker

"Graham Harrison" wrote in message

On Sat, 22 Dec 2018 22:42:11 -0600, "Byker" wrote:

I was expecting them to be mischievous schoolboys, not middle-aged
eco-kooks...

They've been released without charge. Not even on bail as far as I can
see.

"The two suspects, who were named and pictured by some news outlets, will
try to return to their normal lives."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...without-charge

Yup, they will TRY. Their lives will never be the same, thanks to the
overzealous, hysteria-prone MSM and a clueless, frustrated police force. In
the meantime, MI5 will wipe the egg off its face and probably double the
reward, and whoever collects it won't remain "anonymous" very long...

Old December 23rd 18, 06:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Miloch

In article , Graham Harrison says...

On Sat, 22 Dec 2018 22:42:11 -0600, "Byker" wrote:

"Miloch" wrote in message news

https://gizmodo.com/two-arrested-in-...eds-1831279776

Following a drone incident that grounded planes and disrupted operations
at the UK’s second-largest airport just days ahead of Christmas, officials
say they have made two arrests in connection with the event.

I was expecting them to be mischievous schoolboys, not middle-aged
eco-kooks...

They've been released without charge. Not even on bail as far as I
can see.

Somehow they didn't look the part to me.

[Updated: They've Been Released]

https://gizmodo.com/two-arrested-in-...eds-1831279776

Updated 12/23/18 9:30 a.m. ET: Sussex Police have released the two suspects
arrested in connection to the drone incident at Gatwick Airport without charge,
Detective Chief Superintendent Jason Tingley said.

“Both people have fully co-operated with our [inquiries] and I am satisfied that
they are no longer suspects in the drone incidents at Gatwick,” Tingley said in
a statement. “Our inquiry continues at a pace to locate those responsible for
the drone incursions, and we continue to actively follow lines of
investigation.”

Earlier: Following a drone incident that grounded planes and disrupted