VOR ranges on sectionals

Old April 15th 07, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default VOR ranges on sectionals

I was pretty sure that there was something on sectional charts that allows you
to determine the service range of a given VOR, but looking at the guide to
aeronautical charts I don't see anything that indicates VOR range in the
legend. Am I missing something or am I just not remembering things correctly?

Old April 15th 07, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ZikZak

On Apr 15, 1:18 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
I was pretty sure that there was something on sectional charts that allows you
to determine the service range of a given VOR, but looking at the guide to
aeronautical charts I don't see anything that indicates VOR range in the
legend. Am I missing something or am I just not remembering things correctly?

Service ranges are not indicated on sectionals, but the AFD and IFR
enroute charts will indicate whether the VOR is rated as terminal,
low, or high. The typical range below 14500 is 40 miles in radius.

Old April 15th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

ZikZak writes:

Service ranges are not indicated on sectionals, but the AFD and IFR
enroute charts will indicate whether the VOR is rated as terminal,
low, or high. The typical range below 14500 is 40 miles in radius.

Thanks.

Now if only I could find enroute charts on line (I wish SkyVector had them).

Old April 16th 07, 10:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip

On Apr 15, 11:18 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
I was pretty sure that there was something on sectional charts that allows you
to determine the service range of a given VOR, but looking at the guide to
aeronautical charts I don't see anything that indicates VOR range in the
legend. Am I missing something or am I just not remembering things correctly?

You're an idiot. look it up fjukktard

Bertie

Bertie

Old April 18th 07, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

ZikZak writes:

Service ranges are not indicated on sectionals, but the AFD and IFR
enroute charts will indicate whether the VOR is rated as terminal,
low, or high. The typical range below 14500 is 40 miles in radius.

Thanks.

Now if only I could find enroute charts on line (I wish SkyVector had
them).

what for, You don't fly.

Bertie
Old April 18th 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kev

On Apr 15, 4:51 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
ZikZak writes:
Service ranges are not indicated on sectionals, but the AFD and IFR
enroute charts will indicate whether the VOR is rated as terminal,
low, or high. The typical range below 14500 is 40 miles in radius.

Thanks.

You'll also need an A/FD (Airport/Facility Directory). Among many
other things, it tells you if there are unusable radials for each VOR.

For example, a VOR near me has the following note:

VOR UNUSBL
029-045 BYD 15 NM BLO 5000 FT;
050-060 BYD 10 NM ALL ALTS;
210-230 BYD 20 NM BLO 6500 FT

Naturally, as a student I blindly planned a flight along one of the
unusable portions. Ooops!

Kev

Old April 18th 07, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Kev writes:

You'll also need an A/FD (Airport/Facility Directory). Among many
other things, it tells you if there are unusable radials for each VOR.

For example, a VOR near me has the following note:

VOR UNUSBL
029-045 BYD 15 NM BLO 5000 FT;
050-060 BYD 10 NM ALL ALTS;
210-230 BYD 20 NM BLO 6500 FT

Naturally, as a student I blindly planned a flight along one of the
unusable portions. Ooops!

I do have the A/FD (portions of it). But having to look up each and every
VOR? Why can't things be simple? And is every single pilot doing this, I
wonder?

Old April 18th 07, 03:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Apr 17, 6:56 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:

For example, a VOR near me has the following note:

VOR UNUSBL
029-045 BYD 15 NM BLO 5000 FT;
050-060 BYD 10 NM ALL ALTS;
210-230 BYD 20 NM BLO 6500 FT

Naturally, as a student I blindly planned a flight along one of the
unusable portions. Ooops!

I do have the A/FD (portions of it). But having to look up each and every
VOR? Why can't things be simple? And is every single pilot doing this, I
wonder?

If the VOR is critical/important to the flight, then yes, every pilot
in that situation will look it up.
It is similar to getting the data for any airport you plan to use or
might need to use, before you fly.

I made a flight from Phoenix to Dallas. I spent several WEEKS
planning that puppy. It takes a lot of guessing and stressing out of
the flight. I offhandedly asked my instructor if everyone did this.
He said "I do".

Old April 18th 07, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kev

On Apr 17, 9:56 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Kev writes:
You'll also need an A/FD (Airport/Facility Directory). Among many
other things, it tells you if there are unusable radials for each VOR.

I do have the A/FD (portions of it). But having to look up each and every
VOR? Why can't things be simple? And is every single pilot doing this, I
wonder?

A pilot who's going to use the VOR, should. They might also check
runway lengths, runway lighting, fuel availability, hours of
operation, local noise abatement procedures... sometimes asking other
pilots for local advice (you see that happen in this newsgroup).

Then there's all the NOTAMs. Including, related to VORs, equipment
outages. Again, as a student I once steered using a VOR without
ident'ing it first. If I had, I'd have noticed it was out of
service. Instead, I'm happily flying along, following a dead
instrument. My instructor noticed early on, grinning, but didn't say
anything for a while. Pretty embarassing, but you don't forget to
ident / verify after that ;-)

Just as if you were planning to drive across country, you'd usually
collect as much information as possible about roads, gas, tolls, even
perhaps local speed traps. Some do more research, some do very
little. The difference is that pilots are required by regulation to
collect as much information as possible. It's just about the vaguest
rule possible, and the most important in retrospect if something goes
wrong.

Kev

USS Enterprise acft working Florida Ranges [email protected] Naval Aviation 1 March 13th 07 03:28 PM
sectionals for contests BB Soaring 17 January 23rd 07 07:54 PM
B-17 wreck site - Owen Stanley Ranges PNG Dave Kearton Aviation Photos 10 January 4th 07 05:07 PM
Sectionals Simulators 1 July 21st 06 12:45 AM
roland radar around the Nellis ranges miso Military Aviation 15 September 22nd 03 11:17 PM