Cherokee shoulder seat belt replacement

Old September 25th 08, 02:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
texas slacker

Default Cherokee shoulder seat belt replacement

My warrior is fitted with shoulder strap seat belts anchored to the
upper side of the plane, just above the second window. From the looks
of them they were original equipment. Now - I need to remove the
retracting mechanism so I can have new belts attached. After removal
of the plastic cover plate I see the spool, bolted to a bracket which
is attached to the fuselage with three phillips head screws. The bolt
just rotates so I assume it has an unsecured head that I can't get to
so the three screws are the only way to remove the retracting
mechanism. The only problem is that the screws are so close to the
spool that I can't get a proper bite with a screwdriver. A closefit
screwdriver will simply "cam out", I can't get any lateral pressure on
it. I might be able to grab the screw head with a pair of vise grips
but hoped that someone on this group would have a smarter way. If you
did - where did you take the equipment for fixin? Leo

Old September 25th 08, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Morgans[_2_]

"texas slacker" wrote

I might be able to grab the screw head with a pair of vise grips
but hoped that someone on this group would have a smarter way. If you
did - where did you take the equipment for fixin? Leo

Have you considered a screwdriver that is long flexible "cable?"

Lacking that working, the vise grips and or a dremmel to cut the head off,
and use Allen head screws, and a rounded head Allen wrench driver to put it
back together.

I have also drilled and tapped the center of a bolt that wanted to turn, and
used a small screw and jam nut to hold things still while it is being
wrenched out.
--
Jim in NC

Old September 25th 08, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Vaughn Simon

"Morgans" wrote in message
.. a dremel to cut the head off...

Sometimes it is possible to use a little cutoff wheel in a Dremel to cut a
slot right across a Philips screw head and then use a flat screwdriver.

Vaughn

Old September 26th 08, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Morgans[_2_]

"Vaughn Simon" wrote in message

"Morgans" wrote in message
.. a dremel to cut the head off...

Sometimes it is possible to use a little cutoff wheel in a Dremel to cut
a slot right across a Philips screw head and then use a flat screwdriver.

Done that many times with good results.

I didn't mention it, because he said he had problems fitting a screw driver
into the screw, because stuff was in the way. I didn't think that a flat
would work any better than the Phillips.

Really, I have found that a flat will not usually work as well, when the
shaft can not be held in straight alignment with the screw. YMMV.
--
Jim in NC

Old September 26th 08, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Morgans[_2_]

wrote

Kinda makes one wonder how the factory gets the screws in the first
time... G

Ain't that the truth!

I have two possible answers. The assembly was built up in a way that it can
not be taken apart in reverse order, or there was some damn special tool
involved. Perhaps a screwdriver tip made real close onto a universal joint.

In my way of thinking, if it requires a special tool, 99% of the time it was
poor engineering that makes the special tool necessary.
--
Jim in NC

Old September 27th 08, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jon Woellhaf

Can you take a photo of the device and post it to
alt.binaries.pictures.aviation -- or somewhere else, or email it to me?

Old September 27th 08, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
David Lesher

"Jon Woellhaf" writes:

Can you take a photo of the device and post it to
alt.binaries.pictures.aviation -- or somewhere else, or email it to me?

Upload to sendspace.com; then post the URL....

I can't see how 3 tiny screws secure it....

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old September 27th 08, 03:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Morgans[_2_]

"Jon Woellhaf" wrote in message
. ..
Can you take a photo of the device and post it to
alt.binaries.pictures.aviation -- or somewhere else, or email it to me?

That should be asked of Texas Slacker, I believe.
--
Jim in NC

Old September 27th 08, 03:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave[_19_]

Ummmm......

If your install is "stock Piper factory"....

The bolt is removed to remove the mechanisim...

The head is on the OUTSIDE OF THE FUSELAGE , on the roof.

You need someone on the outside holding the head.

(unless you have 6 ft arms...

I sent mine to "Aircraft Belts" for refurb..

Dave

Seat belt clip Fred[_4_] Soaring 2 June 23rd 08 05:10 PM
Seat Belt should be re-webbed or changed Patti Browne Soaring 3 December 13th 06 05:10 AM
Seat belt tags Stephen Stilkey Owning 28 March 15th 04 05:29 PM
Seat Belt Extenders M.E. Borner Owning 4 October 3rd 03 01:55 PM
Seat Belt Age? BD5ER Home Built 2 July 7th 03 12:10 AM