Don't point RPGs at US soldiers!

Old June 18th 04, 02:47 PM
T3

"Dav1936531" wrote in message
From: Nuk

I'd say he was planning hit a squad of Marines, or a Humvee or APC or
similar, but they saw him first and he found himself staring down the
barrels of a few US Marines...

Nah, you can see the bullets kick up clouds of dust in the street from

both the
chest and head shots. Whomever got him plainly shot him from a roof top,

i.e.,
it was probably a sniper watching over a patrol....not a patroller.

As I mentioned before, I think the Marine snipers are using bolt actions,
however, I have seen some pics of US Army snipers carrying tricked up M-14
sniper variants. I am thinking this guy was had by an Army sniper because

of
the quick follow-up shot. Consequently, I also doubt this video is from

the
Fallujah action, since it was the Marines laying siege in Fallujah.

I'm still trying to figure out why he was in the middle of a street,
no cover, no camo... stupid, stupid, stupid...

It's a "jihad" for Allah. Rationality plays little part.

One wonders just exactly what the insurgents even think they are trying to
accomplish. What will surely result if they gain supremacy is chaos, civil

war,
and the weakening of Iraq making it a tempting invasion target for the

likes of
Iran. So, if they think they are fighting for the good of Iraq, they are

merely
deluding themselves.
Dave

I'm not so sure, it sounded and awful lot like a SAW. Counted nine or ten
shots fired, looks like the first couple severed his spine. The rest, chest
and head, Great shooting!!

T3

Old June 18th 04, 02:55 PM
T3

"Drewe Manton" wrote in message
. 4...
I'm not even convinced it was a sniper shot. . .looked like automatic
weapons fire to me. . repeated shooting and I picked out 2, maybe 3 tracer
rounds. Do we even know where it was taken (I don't speak the language of
the news reporter!).. might it have been Israel rather than Iraq?

--
Regards
Drewe

No doubt about it, pretty sure it was a SAW. I've shot and heard enough of
'em to recognize it.

T3

btw-It was in Iraq

Old June 18th 04, 03:41 PM
Kevin Brooks

From: Nuk

I'd say he was planning hit a squad of Marines, or a Humvee or APC or
similar, but they saw him first and he found himself staring down the
barrels of a few US Marines...

Nah, you can see the bullets kick up clouds of dust in the street from

both the
chest and head shots. Whomever got him plainly shot him from a roof top,

i.e.,
it was probably a sniper watching over a patrol....not a patroller.

How many snipers do you know who use tracers? Smart money would instead be
on him being engaged by an overwatching element (when contact is expected,
bounding overwatch being the preferred maneuver scheme).

As I mentioned before, I think the Marine snipers are using bolt actions,
however, I have seen some pics of US Army snipers carrying tricked up M-14
sniper variants. I am thinking this guy was had by an Army sniper because

of
the quick follow-up shot. Consequently, I also doubt this video is from

the
Fallujah action, since it was the Marines laying siege in Fallujah.

Most Army snipers use a Remington bolt action (M-24 IIRC) these days; your
"tricked up" M-14 (actually known as the M-21) has been in the decline (if
it is not completely replaced already) for years now.

Brooks

Old June 18th 04, 03:43 PM
Kevin Brooks

"T3" wrote in message
om...

From: Nuk

[...]

I'd bet you are right about the weapon being used; SAW with standard
intermittent tracer load.

Brooks

T3

Old June 18th 04, 04:30 PM
Nuk

On 18 Jun 2004 12:00:25 GMT, Drewe Manton
wrote:

I'm not even convinced it was a sniper shot. . .looked like automatic
weapons fire to me. . repeated shooting and I picked out 2, maybe 3 tracer
rounds. Do we even know where it was taken (I don't speak the language of
the news reporter!).. might it have been Israel rather than Iraq?

Possibly a M249? with a 1 in 5 tracer round maybe?

I've also seen recently another video (do you think I can find it!) of
an Iraqi firing what looks like a 50 cal from the hip, he squeezes off
a burst, then ducks back out of the way when something nearly nails
him... you can see the impact/ricochet of the incoming round...

Old June 18th 04, 08:36 PM
It's Me Again

"Ragnar" wrote in message

"Dav1936531" wrote in message

Further, the sniper may have been able to lure the dead guy's compatriots

out
into the street had he held off firing the follow up kill shot to the

head.
Just wound the guy on the first shot and wait for his buddies to come out

and
"rescue" him.......and then drill them all too. Make a pile of them in
the
street......however, the insurgent fighters may be "on" to that tactic

already.
Dave

I seriously doubt that the bad guys care enough about such things to even
bother "rescuing" one of their own.

Someone has neglected to tell them the 17 female virgins they receive in
heaven have PMS for all eternity.

Old June 18th 04, 08:40 PM
It's Me Again

snip
Dave

I'm not so sure, it sounded and awful lot like a SAW. Counted nine or ten
shots fired, looks like the first couple severed his spine. The rest,
chest
and head, Great shooting!!

T3

For those of you who are wondering what SAW is (I was), it's Squad Automatic
Weapon.

http://www.ndu.edu/nwc/nwcCLIPART/US...W/army-saw.htm