Los Angeles to Chico

Old July 15th 03, 10:37 PM
Marty Ross

Default Los Angeles to Chico

I'm looking to gain information about preferred routes, interesting/cheap
refueling stops or siteseeing opportunities, or any other pertinent
information (weather/notams/etc.) for my round-trip flight at the end of
this month (July 2003) from the Los Angeles area to Chico (northern
California). I'll be staying in Chico about 4-5 days.

Looking at the WAC, it looks like it could be a pretty monotonous flight
(e.g., lost in the gigantic central valley). The only stop I'm currently
thinking of is at Columbia (O22) because I've heard it's a cute spot to
stretch one's legs (in the old mining town nearby).

Again, any other ideas or suggestions for this flight (and the return
several days later) will be appreciated!

-- Marty

Old July 15th 03, 11:34 PM
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 21:37:32 GMT, "Marty Ross"
wrote in Message-Id: :

The only stop I'm currently thinking of is at Columbia (O22)

If you've got the time, you can camp there too.

Keep your eyes open for deer wandering onto the runway. It's located
adjacent to the forest.

Old July 15th 03, 11:44 PM
Steve House

Harris Ranch has the best steaks I've ever tasted - 100% organic beef, local
veggies for side dishes, the whole deal. A "must stop" on my many drives on
the interstate between LA and San Francisco during the 70's and 80's. I'm
pretty sure they're still there. They have/had an airstrip right next to the
restaurant.

Old July 15th 03, 11:55 PM
Marty Ross

Interesting... I checked it out, and it might be good for the return trip
(later afternoon).

However, check out that 30' wide runway!!! I don't know if I'm comfortable
with that!

Anyone landed at Harris Ranch (3O8) lately? What's the runway like?

Old July 16th 03, 12:03 AM
Bob Gardner

When the Compuserve Aviation Special Interest Group (AVSIG) holds its annual
get-together at Santa Maria, a mass flight to Harris Ranch is part of the
deal. Never heard of anyone having a problem.

Bob Gardner

Old July 16th 03, 12:08 AM
Jim Weir

-
-However, check out that 30' wide runway!!! I don't know if I'm comfortable
-with that!
-
-Anyone landed at Harris Ranch (3O8) lately? What's the runway like?

Black.

Seriously, best food in this part of the world, but hotter than HELL right now.
What are you worried about a 30' runway for...your wheels are on a 10' spacing
{;-)

Jim
http://www.rst-engr.com
Old July 16th 03, 12:58 AM
Cecil E. Chapman

"Marty Ross" wrote in message
Interesting... I checked it out, and it might be good for the return trip
(later afternoon).

However, check out that 30' wide runway!!! I don't know if I'm

comfortable
with that!

Anyone landed at Harris Ranch (3O8) lately? What's the runway like?

Yep... did it in a C-172. When you do it, you'll find your mind has made it
a much bigger challenge than it really is. You'll do fine!

Good Flights!

Cecil E. Chapman, Jr.
PP-ASEL

"We who fly do so for the love of flying.
We are alive in the air with this miracle
that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"

- Cecil Day Lewis-

My personal adventures as a student pilot
and after my PPL: www.bayareapilot.com

Old July 16th 03, 12:59 AM
JerryK

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 22:55:08 +0000, Marty Ross wrote:

Interesting... I checked it out, and it might be good for the return trip
(later afternoon).

However, check out that 30' wide runway!!! I don't know if I'm comfortable
with that!

Anyone landed at Harris Ranch (3O8) lately? What's the runway like?

The runway is fine. Condition is good.

Old July 16th 03, 02:11 AM
Larry Dighera

.. .
wrote in Message-Id: :

The only stop I'm currently thinking of is at Columbia (O22)

If you've got the time, you can camp there too.

Keep your eyes open for deer wandering onto the runway. It's located
adjacent to the forest.

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 22:38:55 GMT, "Marty Ross"
wrote in Message-Id: :

Thanks!

You're welcome.

Is it (O22) pretty well attended days (e.g., 1-4pm)?

http://www.airnav.com/airport/O22
Attendance: 0800-1700

Good place for gas?

Chevron 100LL $2.55
80/87 $2.50
Jet A $2.60
Updated 06-Jul-2003

Is town really just a couple of blocks by foot?

Check it out for yourself:
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=10...72&s=25&size=m
http://mapper.acme.com/?lat=38.03041...41456&scale=11
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...BRDhVwkMQ3W1QD
Old July 16th 03, 02:14 AM
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 22:55:08 GMT, "Marty Ross"
wrote in Message-Id: :

Interesting... I checked it out, and it might be good for the return trip
(later afternoon).

However, check out that 30' wide runway!!! I don't know if I'm comfortable
with that!

Anyone landed at Harris Ranch (3O8) lately? What's the runway like?

Make sure the feed lot is downwind from the restaurant when you plan
to drop in. :-)