Recovery by Spot

Old May 6th 18, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default Recovery by Spot

On Wednesday, May 2, 2018 at 2:12:24 PM UTC-4, Dirk_PW wrote:
Had this pilot been equipped with ADS-B "out" and no SPOT or other alternate means of satellite communication/alerting methodologies, what would have been the sequence of events for finding him? ...

Is ADS-B 'out' a reasonable alternative to SPOT or is it just riddled with too many limitations ...

I don't have the complete answer to your question but https://flightaware.com/adsb/ uses a network of receivers to track ADS-out aircraft. Their coverage exceeds ATC coverage. You can track individual flights.

I think that it is better to have more than one way to be found.

BTW, does anyone know if FlightAware tracks SIL=1 TABS?
Old May 7th 18, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

One can build a lightweight roll-up antenna that's way better than the rubber ducky. I made one out of some "twinlead" (300 ohm flat cable that used to be popular for TV antennas, now seems getting hard to find), plus a piece of thin coax with BNC connector. Consult ham radio sources for "2 meter" designs and multiply all the lengths by 145/123.
Old May 7th 18, 06:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Friday, May 4, 2018 at 7:03:04 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Careful, that's a marine band antenna and you'll get a much higher VSWR
in the aviation band unless you don't extend it to its full length and
use it as a quarter wave antenna, about 22 1/2 inches.

This one will extend to 47.5 inches so it would make a great half wave
antenna (44 inches):
https://www.amazon.com/Anteenna-TW-9...er+antenna+bnc

On 5/3/2018 5:32 PM, 2G wrote:
On Thursday, May 3, 2018 at 4:30:39 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
On Wednesday, May 2, 2018 at 8:27:25 PM UTC-7, bumper wrote:
On Wednesday, May 2, 2018 at 12:12:31 PM UTC-7, Wojciech Ścigała wrote:
Gents,

You forgot about one more device we all have installed: VHF radio. Tune
in 121.5 MHZ and ask for a message relay. All airliners monitor 121,500
so the "coverage" is very good.

Wojciech
That worked for me when I spotted a "body" lying face down in Nevada's Black Rock Desert a dozen years back. Landed my Husky and found the guy was still alive! Got on 121.5 and had they were scrambling to help! Airliner relayed call for air ambulance to Reno Approach. Another Husky in Oregon heard the traffic as well and asked on another forum who was that Husky who rescued the guy in the desert :c)

I used the aircraft radio, I'm sure a handheld would have worked also, though the rubber ducky antenna receives far better than it transmits, plus you aircraft radio may be putting our over 10 watts and the handheld is probably less than 1. Still worth having if your tail boom is broken.
I checked several popular handhelds, and they are all 1.5 W carrier (they also use peak envelope power, PEP, but the carrier is what gets the job done). Rubber ducky antennas are crap, especially when you are close to the ground. It would be great if there were a telescoping 1/4 wave emergency antenna.

Tom

Well, I just checked, and there IS such a thing!

https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...AjA_EALw _wcB

--
Dan, 5J

Thanks for the tip - the other antenna wasn't available anyway.

Tom

FS: SPOT GEN 3 Tracker; NEXGEN SPOT? Duster[_2_] Soaring 0 August 13th 17 12:24 AM
Spot vs Spot Connect guy Soaring 9 January 25th 12 04:48 PM
Spot deal, today only, buy service get a free Spot Tim Taylor Soaring 3 December 1st 08 11:30 PM
SPOT D.Rizzato Home Built 0 February 5th 08 01:39 AM
He-111 recovery Vicente Vazquez Military Aviation 3 September 15th 04 12:37 AM