PDA for Moving Map

Old December 16th 09, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian Whatcott

Default PDA for Moving Map

Paul Remde wrote:
Hi Brian,

If the M5 is a Microsoft Windows CE platform (some Garmin iQues were
Palm devices) then you should be set in regard to hardware. /snip/
Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

THAT sounds good! The blurb mentioned Windows Mobile 2003 2nd Edn.
and I THINK that's what they renamed Windows CE.
Your site offering looks good too...
Brian W

WinPilot has a VFR program. I don't know anything about it, but you
can find it (and a demo) at www.craggyaero.com.

Brian W

WinPilot looked good at the fist glance, and priced right too...
Old December 16th 09, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian Whatcott

Richard wrote:
On Dec 16, 4:11 am, brian whatcott wrote:
Dixie Sierra wrote:
On Dec 15, 5:27 pm, brian whatcott wrote:
I know it sounds unlikely for someone seeking to put a yoke mount moving
map in his 150 to be seeking advice from a soaring group, but here I am...
I have a whole lot of sales resistance to the Garmin 626's or whatever
of this world, that go for prices in four places of digits.
And the current run of aviation GPSs all seem high...
But then, I searched on moving map displays and Bingo! plenty of better
priced hits. I was specially interested to read that sailplane
enthusiasts have been using PDAs with aviation apps loaded for a while
now. I read about Anywhere Map, and one or two others.
My interest is the one finger selection of a destination airfield
with distance to go, cross track error, and heading and bearing to steer.
Any useful tips??
Thanks in advance
Brian W
WinPilot has a VFR program. I don't know anything about it, but you
can find it (and a demo) atwww.craggyaero.com.
It's $200. Throw in a PDA and gps card and you would still be under
$500. You might do better finding a used aviation gps on ebay.
If inexpensive is your main interest... you can find free soaring
software that will do the things you mentioned and gps card and pda
would be easily under $300. If you can live with soaring software...
Paul Remde's site is very good.

WinPilot. Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look...
While looking for a straight PDA I landed a GPS equiped version called
iQue from Garmin - an M5. Compatible aviation apps is now the name
of the game....

Brian W- Hide quoted text -

Brian,

I am the WinPilot dealer for the US and provide sales and support.

http://www.craggyaero.com/WinPilot.htm

Yoke Mount options, cradles and power converter also available.

http://www.craggyaero.com/pdam.htm

Give me a call if you want to talk about systems for VFR.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Wow! I'm unused to this level of responsiveness. I got a private note
from Wayne Paul explaining the soaring context - that it is a smaller
cooperative world - but having two MovingMap initiators responding to a
note? That's luxurious!

Then I had a flight of the imagination: 8000 ft, no engine, in the
middle of featureless country?? SOP for sailplanes, I guess.
That would make a Moving Map with
reachability and direction precious (I imagine...)

Thanks again.

Brian W
Old December 17th 09, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Nicholas[_2_]

You may also wish to look at some new softwa “skydemon”, aimed at
power flying. It has just been released, and I think covers USA
airspace and terrain. Not free, but thought by its beta testers to be
very good. In one application, generates weather, NOTAM, and radio
frequencies etc. for a planned flight.

http://www.skydemon.aero

(I have no commercial connection, just looked at the product during
beta testing. It is not very suitable for gliding, however.)

Chris N.

Old December 17th 09, 01:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian Whatcott

Chris Nicholas wrote:
You may also wish to look at some new softwa “skydemon”, aimed at
power flying. It has just been released, and I think covers USA
airspace and terrain. Not free, but thought by its beta testers to be
very good. In one application, generates weather, NOTAM, and radio
frequencies etc. for a planned flight.

http://www.skydemon.aero

(I have no commercial connection, just looked at the product during
beta testing. It is not very suitable for gliding, however.)

Chris N.

Thanks for the tip. Will do!

Brian W
Old December 17th 09, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Flightmaster with Copilot are highly regarded palm airplane programs
and are very affordable. A quick google search should direct you to
the current dealer. You will be impressed.

I have no connection with that company. I had an earlier version of
these that ran on my old palm visor. Amazing capabilities for cheap.

Old December 17th 09, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Wyld[_2_]

Brian, also check out PocketFMS.

Old December 18th 09, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian Whatcott

Peter Wyld wrote:
Brian, also check out PocketFMS.

Will do

Old December 20th 09, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian Whatcott

brian whatcott wrote:
Peter Wyld wrote:
Brian, also check out PocketFMS.

Will do

Needs Windows Mobile 2005 or Windows CE .net 4.2
a 500 MHz cp + 400 MB disk

Pity!

Brian W

Moving to CA Ishrat Zahid Piloting 30 May 20th 04 10:59 PM
Moving Map on IPAQ Bob Simulators 0 March 25th 04 10:30 PM
Moving Time Rogue AI Piloting 11 March 18th 04 10:26 PM
Engine moving day... Gene Z. Ragan Home Built 2 March 16th 04 02:26 AM
IPQA, PS, Moving Map ruediger Soaring 1 December 13th 03 03:50 AM