Question: Display symbology for wind vector in flight software

Old December 17th 09, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Default Question: Display symbology for wind vector in flight software

We all know that winds are depicted with a flag type symbol denoting
where the winds are coming *from*, with hash marks encoding the speed.

My question is wrt what we see on computer displays in the cockpit. My
LX7007 displays an arrow showing where the winds are going *to*,
essentially displaying a "force vector". Is this the common way of
depicting winds in flight software? Is there a standard for this?

~ted/2NO
Old December 17th 09, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Dec 17, 10:25*am, Tuno wrote:
We all know that winds are depicted with a flag type symbol denoting
where the winds are coming *from*, with hash marks encoding the speed.

My question is wrt what we see on computer displays in the cockpit. My
LX7007 displays an arrow showing where the winds are going *to*,
essentially displaying a "force vector". *Is this the common way of
depicting winds in flight software? Is there a standard for this?

~ted/2NO

Windsock... Everyone seems to find it intuitive.
Best Regards, Dave
Old December 17th 09, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Dec 17, 8:25*am, Tuno wrote:
We all know that winds are depicted with a flag type symbol denoting
where the winds are coming *from*, with hash marks encoding the speed.

My question is wrt what we see on computer displays in the cockpit. My
LX7007 displays an arrow showing where the winds are going *to*,
essentially displaying a "force vector". *Is this the common way of
depicting winds in flight software? Is there a standard for this?

~ted/2NO

Ted,

In WinPilot it is an arrow pointing to where the winds are going, i.e.
the point is in the direction of flow. The arrow changes in size
depending on the strength and the numeric values is at the end of the
arrow. To me any arrow should depict the direction of the wind flow.
When I scan the display I like to see where the wind flow is in
relation to my glider and any terrain.

Vector Wind, Relative Wind calculation C 302/303 [email protected] Soaring 2 December 9th 08 07:23 PM
OT-display question William Hung[_2_] Piloting 6 February 3rd 08 03:57 AM
Flight Planning Software Question Flyin'8 Piloting 10 January 30th 05 04:18 AM
display question Blue Simulators 3 December 12th 03 06:25 AM
Safelog software/flight log software question Mark Piloting 2 December 8th 03 02:34 PM