Owner Change/rotate spark plugs?

Old February 11th 05, 06:13 AM
Victor J. Osborne, Jr.

Default Owner Change/rotate spark plugs?

Can an owner do this?

TIA, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

Old February 11th 05, 07:41 AM
John Godwin

"Victor J. Osborne, Jr." wrote in
:

Can an owner do this?

According to FAR 43, one may.

Old February 11th 05, 10:05 AM
Ben Jackson

On 2005-02-11, Victor J. Osborne, Jr. wrote:
Can an owner do this?

Make sure you have new copper crush gaskets before you start...

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old February 11th 05, 01:45 PM
Denny

I purchase copper gaskets by the 100 pack and I change them out when I
rotate plugs on my airplane, but it is not often that I see a mechanic
actually install new gaskets when working on an engine... Just
something I tend to notice as I hang around airports...
Also, only a minority seem to use a torque wrench when seating the
plugs... Perhaps their hands are better calibrated than this lifetime,
shadetree mechanic... And not many seem to use plug lube...

There is maintenance that the owner can do on his airplane, and often
do closer to engineering specifications than the bored mechanic...
Now, before the licensed mechanics on this list jump on me, I am simply
reporting my observations from a lifetime of being an airport bum...
If you do a better job, then hooray for you...

Denny

Old February 11th 05, 01:53 PM
Jon A.

If you're talented enough! Don't forget your torque wrench, new
gaskets and antiseize compound.

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 00:13:52 -0500, "Victor J. Osborne, Jr."
wrote:

Can an owner do this?

TIA, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

Old February 11th 05, 04:09 PM

Copper gaskets can be annealed by heating red hot and quenching in
cold water. They can be reused three or four times this way until their
diameter gets too large from being squashed. Using used, unannealed
gaskets can result in small leaks, and a leaking plug can carry carbon
into the threads and make it really hard to remove without damaging the
head's thread socket.

Dan

Old February 11th 05, 05:57 PM
Michael

aolme too/aol

Seriously, Denny's observations are spot on.

Old February 11th 05, 07:01 PM
Jon Woellhaf

At the last annual, my mechanic showed me how to anneal the copper spark
plug gaskets before reusing them.

Is this common practice?

Old February 11th 05, 07:09 PM
Rip

No, copper is annealed by quenching rapidly.

Aaron Coolidge wrote:
wrote:
: Copper gaskets can be annealed by heating red hot and quenching in
: cold water.

That's how you harden them.
To anneal them, heat them red hot and let them cool gradually.

Spark plug question: Massive electrode or fine wire? Peter R. Owning 9 February 4th 05 03:03 AM
Which aircraft certification is required for R&D? Netgeek Home Built 5 November 23rd 04 06:59 AM
Bougies blindées BG à vendre/BG spark plugs for sale stef General Aviation 0 May 14th 04 04:57 PM
Color of spark plugs john smith Owning 5 March 2nd 04 04:08 AM
2nd update on Review of Plasma II Ignition System MikeremlaP Home Built 8 July 22nd 03 01:37 AM