Cobra Trailer Wiring Presentation Available for Download

Old August 23rd 17, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Default Cobra Trailer Wiring Presentation Available for Download

I finally purchased a glider that came with a Cobra trailer last year (remember the old adage?).

The trailer came with a cobbled together vehicle connection and the original incandescent lighting. So I set about "correcting" this. I really can't help myself to not try to "improve" everything electrical that I come across.

This presentation covers;

* Euro 7-pin connectors
* US 4-Flat and 7-pin connectors
* Wiring a Cobra trailer to use a US 4-Flat
* Converting 4-flat shared turn/brake into separate turn and brake
* LED conversion
* Miscellaneous information

http://aviation.derosaweb.net/presen..._Made_Easy.pdf

Let me know if you find this useful, wrong, and/or downright dangerous. Also, what trailer electrical changes have you made?

Thanks, John OHM Ω
Old August 23rd 17, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

At 16:32 23 August 2017,
T0hNIOKEpiBodHRwOi8vYXZpYXRpb24uZGVyb3Nhd2ViLm5ldA ==
wrote:
I finally purchased a glider that came with a Cobra trailer last year
(reme=
mber the old adage?). =20

The trailer came with a cobbled together vehicle connection and

the
origina=
l incandescent lighting. So I set about "correcting" this. I really
can't=
help myself to not try to "improve" everything electrical that I

come
acro=
ss.=20

This presentation covers; =20

* Euro 7-pin connectors
* US 4-Flat and 7-pin connectors
* Wiring a Cobra trailer to use a US 4-Flat
* Converting 4-flat shared turn/brake into separate turn and brake
* LED conversion
* Miscellaneous information

http://aviation.derosaweb.net/presen...nts/Trailer_Wi

ring_Made_E=
asy.pdf

Let me know if you find this useful, wrong, and/or downright

dangerous.
Al=
so, what trailer electrical changes have you made?

Thanks, John OHM =E2=84=A6

Nice to have all of the info in one neat package.
Thanks, John...
RO

Old August 23rd 17, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Agreed -- Thanks very much for putting all this information
in one place....

AE

Old August 23rd 17, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Thanks John!

What does that 2-wire to 3-wire converter do when you've
got the brakes plus a turn signal on?

Are you going to sell kits ?? ;-)
Old August 24th 17, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Dave,
Here's a video of my installation: https://youtu.be/MIxLi-8Deic
This one is a slow motion clip to show the amber LEDs brief flicker when the brakes are applied: https://youtu.be/8VDm_nGM_-Q

I started by replacing my incandescent lights with a pair of large round red LED taillights. Then heard about the 4 to 5 wire adapter here on RAS, so bought that and a pair of smaller round amber LEDs to come up with this setup.

All that's missing is a center brake light, but these are bright enough that I should be safe safe.

5Z

Old August 24th 17, 06:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

When I swapped out all the lights for LED on my Cobra in 'O5, I added a tailfin mounted LED brake light. I used a 12 volt relay for the "logic", driving the relay coil with one brake light and the relay NO contact with the other. Both brake lights on at the same time, fin light on also.

There's another inadvertent mode also. If you have a turn signal and brake lights on at the same time, the fin light flashes with the turn signal :c(

I have the aluminum top and had to mount the fin LED with wedge to bring the LED beam angle down enough to be effective for following cars. My center marker lights flash with turn signals, don't remember if it came that way - I may have changed that too.

Old August 24th 17, 01:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, August 24, 2017 at 12:40:21 AM UTC-5, bumper wrote:
When I swapped out all the lights for LED on my Cobra in 'O5, I added a tailfin mounted LED brake light. I used a 12 volt relay for the "logic", driving the relay coil with one brake light and the relay NO contact with the other. Both brake lights on at the same time, fin light on also.

There's another inadvertent mode also. If you have a turn signal and brake lights on at the same time, the fin light flashes with the turn signal :c(

I have the aluminum top and had to mount the fin LED with wedge to bring the LED beam angle down enough to be effective for following cars. My center marker lights flash with turn signals, don't remember if it came that way - I may have changed that too.

Bumper - Having a flashing HEP light might not be a big deal, maybe flashing is even better. I cover this in my file. But if you replace the 12V relay with two diodes you can get ride of this flashing "problem" and is more reliable. Again, see my file.
Old August 24th 17, 01:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, August 23, 2017 at 5:17:04 PM UTC-5, Dave Nadler wrote:
Thanks John!

What does that 2-wire to 3-wire converter do when you've
got the brakes plus a turn signal on?

Are you going to sell kits ?? ;-)

Dave - It works just like in your car. The upper amber lights work as turn signals and, independently, the middle red lights work as brake lights. I don't know what is going on inside the Curt module but I hear clicking so relays (and diodes?) must be involved.

The only "problem" I have seen with this adapter is that when using emergency flashers both the red brake lights flash with a "hyper-flash" of the amber turn signal lights. Not a big deal. This may be caused by the Curt module or from using LED versus incandescent. Again, not a big deal.

But, no, I am not planning on selling kits. I haven't found a cheap US source for the 7-pin Euro connector! Anyone know of one?

- John OHM Ω
Old August 24th 17, 01:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

HEP = "High Eye Point". Any modern vehicle has one these days. I didn't add a wedge thinking that with 21 LEDs in the light I am using it should be bright enough.

- John OHM Ω
Old August 24th 17, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

John- For 7 pin Euro connectors, try:

https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=...pean+connector

Thanks for the instructions. Helpful, like your other presentations.