Hydraulic Jumps?

Old August 25th 17, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default Hydraulic Jumps?

Bernard Eckey was a great article in June/July S&G on hydraulic jump.
I've never had the experience of flying in this - anybody here done so?
All the wave flying I've done has been classic wave (primarily ground
induced, but also lots of thermal wave)...

It seems the conditions for this might occur in Colorado?
Sierra lee is mentioned but I've never seen it flying from Minden.

Interested to hear of any experiences with this!

See ya, Dave
Old August 25th 17, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Interesting, dense air layer usually identified by a roll type cloud.
Old August 25th 17, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Franke

On Thursday, August 24, 2017 at 4:08:26 PM UTC-7, Dave Nadler wrote:
Bernard Eckey was a great article in June/July S&G on hydraulic jump.
I've never had the experience of flying in this - anybody here done so?
All the wave flying I've done has been classic wave (primarily ground
induced, but also lots of thermal wave)...

It seems the conditions for this might occur in Colorado?
Sierra lee is mentioned but I've never seen it flying from Minden.

Interested to hear of any experiences with this!

See ya, Dave

Warner Springs, CA is known for its hydraulic jump.

Sean Franke
Old August 25th 17, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I am sure you are familiar with Bob Whelan's "Exploring the Monster." about the early wave experiments in the Owens Valley in the 1950's. The Owens and Sierra Nevada wave is a classic example of what a hydraulic jump can offer. 49,000 ft. off of a 14,000 foot mountain range is pretty impressive. (Bob Harris 1986, G-102)

Old August 25th 17, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Described very well in the fantastic book "Dancing with the Wind" as well
Old August 25th 17, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

We tend to get both traditional wave and hydraulic jumps in northern Utah. We also get compression wave in areas where two ranges are close enough to cause interference. I would love to see models that predict some of the dynamic flying we see in the fall through spring. I have had 10 knots straight off a ridgeline to 18,000 feet and other unexpected lift areas.
Old August 25th 17, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Thursday, August 24, 2017 at 11:08:40 PM UTC-4, Tony wrote:
Described very well in the fantastic book "Dancing with the Wind" as well

Yes, excerpts are in Bernard's article.
Old August 25th 17, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Thursday, August 24, 2017 at 9:47:19 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I am sure you are familiar with Bob Whelan's "Exploring the Monster."
about the early wave experiments in the Owens Valley in the 1950's.
The Owens and Sierra Nevada wave is a classic example of what a hydraulic jump
can offer. 49,000 ft. off of a 14,000 foot mountain range is pretty impressive.
(Bob Harris 1986, G-102)

Yes, Bob Seyman's classic photo is well known...

But, to my question: Have you ever flown in a hydraulic jump?
Again, all my wave experiences in the Sierra have been classical wave.
Old August 25th 17, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

I got to fly in one in New Zealand, with Gavin in the back. The first sign of the jump was all sorts of excited noise coming from the back seat. Then gradually the picture ahead made sense. Fortunately it was perfectly marked by clouds -- a hill, lenticular cap cloud, gap, then sort of a wall of turbulent cloud. We went to the wall and climbed in smooth wave like conditions in front of it. Really cool.
John Cochrane
Old August 25th 17, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Friday, August 25, 2017 at 11:13:23 AM UTC-4, John Cochrane wrote:
I got to fly in one in New Zealand, with Gavin in the back....
-- a hill, lenticular cap cloud, gap, then sort of a wall of turbulent cloud.

Cool! Did the wall look like the picture in Bernard's article?
What was the discontinuity that provoked the jump?