A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

sunlight readable iphone

Old September 22nd 17, 05:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

Default sunlight readable iphone

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 6:47:54 PM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 1:06:53 PM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:
[snip]
Even though years old now, Winpilot is still way ahead of SYM.

Wow you do comedy as well. I'll respond in person when we are both holding beers. :-)

There really isn't anything wrong with SYM that a complete and total re-write of the UI wouldn't fix. :-) But if I have to deal with it as it is, you buy the beer.
Old September 22nd 17, 07:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw
external usenet poster

perjantai 22. syyskuuta 2017 7.42.43 UTC+3 jfitch kirjoitti:
[snip]

Wow you do comedy as well. I'll respond in person when we are both holding beers. :-)

There really isn't anything wrong with SYM that a complete and total re-write of the UI wouldn't fix. :-) But if I have to deal with it as it is, you buy the beer.

What is the problem with SYM UI? It is far more easier to use, and configurable, than XCSoar. Not to mention glide computers which have no touchscreens at all. The UI is designed to be used in cockpit enviroment, with gloves on. In that enviroment some fancy Android or IPhone gestures would make me throw it out of the window in 15 seconds. You cannot even grab a modern phone without accidentally starting some app or pressing buttons on the edge

Old September 22nd 17, 09:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark
external usenet poster

"While the locations of the nav boxes are the same between pages, you can
configure the nav boxes to display different data on each page. You can
also configure XCSoar to automatically switch between climb, cruise, and
final glide pages. "

Yes. I prefer to have the same info in the same place on each page. So I want a normal map with less info, and another with additional info. Possible in SYM, not in XCS. I don't want it changing the position of info automatically and have that switched off in XCS. My brain must work differently from the XCS devs. But from teaching other club members how to use these things which I do often I know I am much better at coping with them than most.
Old September 22nd 17, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 11:59:07 PM UTC-7, krasw wrote:
[snip]

What is the problem with SYM UI? It is far more easier to use, and configurable, than XCSoar. Not to mention glide computers which have no touchscreens at all. The UI is designed to be used in cockpit enviroment, with gloves on. In that enviroment some fancy Android or IPhone gestures would make me throw it out of the window in 15 seconds. You cannot even grab a modern phone without accidentally starting some app or pressing buttons on the edge

If you liked the Windows 3.1 UI, you'll probably love SYM. UI is in some ways like art, judged by the beholder. But most of the world has moved on from tiny little buttons illogically arranged, very modal behavior, etc., typical of PDA apps from 20 years past. SYM is supplied with a 113 page manual. That pretty much says it all right there. I'm not saying XCSoar is a lot better, it grows from the same roots. The XCSoar manual is 180 pages. But with XCSoar at least I didn't pay for the pain (yearly, for SYM, now). In contrast anyone familiar with modern smartphone apps could pick up iGlide on an iPhone and within 3 or 4 minutes access 90% of its functionality without a manual at all. There are something like a billion smartphones sold each year, Apple alone sold 210 million last year. Most people have learned to operate them.
Old September 22nd 17, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WinPilot
external usenet poster

If you port the WinCE climb maximizer (still the best in the business) to iOS, will it be able to use Butterfly data via the wifi connection?

Yes, the WiFi connection between Butterfly and WP iOS should already be working now, and should also be able to power the Climb Maximizer when its done.
Bluetooth is more difficult on the iPhone, but people are starting to figure it out as well, like LxNav in their S100 vario which connects to WP/iOS ok.
We would be happy to work with you on implementing more stuff.
J.
Old September 22nd 17, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

On Friday, September 22, 2017 at 9:03:58 AM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:
[snip]

If you liked the Windows 3.1 UI, you'll probably love SYM. UI is in some ways like art, judged by the beholder. But most of the world has moved on from tiny little buttons illogically arranged, very modal behavior, etc., typical of PDA apps from 20 years past. SYM is supplied with a 113 page manual. That pretty much says it all right there. I'm not saying XCSoar is a lot better, it grows from the same roots. The XCSoar manual is 180 pages. But with XCSoar at least I didn't pay for the pain (yearly, for SYM, now). In contrast anyone familiar with modern smartphone apps could pick up iGlide on an iPhone and within 3 or 4 minutes access 90% of its functionality without a manual at all. There are something like a billion smartphones sold each year, Apple alone sold 210 million last year. Most people have learned to operate them.

Oh pluezze. Yes OK some of the UI digs are deserved but the documentation one is not. Much of this software needs better and more documentation not less.

Your pretty iPhone app intended for complex use, like a flight computer, should come with extensive good documentation. Snd yes while good does not mean long, there is so much to cover in these apps that I don't see any how you don't end up with hundreds of pages of documentation.

Foreflight as an example, runs on iOS, has a pretty UI and has a really well written 300+ pages of documentation.

Old September 23rd 17, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

On Friday, September 22, 2017 at 2:11:22 PM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Friday, September 22, 2017 at 9:03:58 AM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:
[snip]

Oh pluezze. Yes OK some of the UI digs are deserved but the documentation one is not. Much of this software needs better and more documentation not less.

Your pretty iPhone app intended for complex use, like a flight computer, should come with extensive good documentation. Snd yes while good does not mean long, there is so much to cover in these apps that I don't see any how you don't end up with hundreds of pages of documentation.

Foreflight as an example, runs on iOS, has a pretty UI and has a really well written 300+ pages of documentation.

"Better documentation not less" is the problem. More is not necessarily better. Most phone apps (even very complex ones) are considered self documenting. SYM and XCSoar are actually not all that complex, but made to be, due to the interface. The iGlide manual is 17 pages including the title page.
Old September 23rd 17, 12:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark
external usenet poster

Is there anything online which shows the strengths of iGlide? Perhaps YT video showing task entry for different types of tasks with different rules?
Old September 23rd 17, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

On Saturday, September 23, 2017 at 4:26:56 AM UTC-7, waremark wrote:
Is there anything online which shows the strengths of iGlide? Perhaps YT video showing task entry for different types of tasks with different rules?

Unfortunately no YT videos of much use. I've threatened to make some, perhaps I will this winter. The real solution is for them to publish a free demo version, like everyone else does.
Old September 23rd 17, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 2:47:23 PM UTC-7, WinPilot wrote:
We are not aware of any crashing bugs for WinPilot for iOS in the past couple of releases.
We started writing support for the LxNav’s S100 flight computer using a wireless Bluetooth connection, and the current WinPilot build on the AppStore already has flight log download and McCready setting transfer built in. It looks like the S100 transmits vario data pretty fast, so we will try to port our Widows CE ClimbMaximizer to the iOS as well.
We aren’t aware of Butterfly vario problem. Users of older flight computers (like CAI 302) can use Butterfly’s WiFi stick to connect to WP.
Winpilot for iOS is free to download and free to test in GPS mode for 30 days, after that the subscription is $4.95/month. For more info visit our Facebook page.
Hopefully this info is helpful to someone,
Jerry / Winpilot.com

I downloaded and tried Winpilot iOS (now called Winpilot Live!) for a little while. I could not make it crash immediately, which is a good sign. How do I get the 30 day trial in GPS mode? The only options offered in app start the fee based subscription, and the moment you click on GPS mode you are asked to pay. Also, how do I provide feedback and bug reports? I do not (and will not) have a Facebook account.