Barnstormer's "A Year of Soaring"

Old September 23rd 08, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

Default Barnstormer's "A Year of Soaring"

Kinda cool...

http://www.barnstormers.com/eFLYER/2...1-Soaring.html

-Paul
Old September 24th 08, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HoUdino

With the increase in costs of power flying, one would believe a
program focused on power pilots would see some positive results for
soaring. Thanks for the post!

LT
Old September 25th 08, 06:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alan[_6_]

In article HoUdino writes:
With the increase in costs of power flying, one would believe a
program focused on power pilots would see some positive results for
soaring. Thanks for the post!

You must be kidding. Gliding costs *lots* more than power flying --
by at least 3 to 1.

Alan
Old September 25th 08, 06:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Sep 24, 11:04*pm, (Alan) wrote:
In article HoUdino writes:

With the increase in costs of power flying, one would believe a
program focused on power pilots would see some positive results for
soaring. *Thanks for the post!

* You must be kidding. *Gliding costs *lots* more than power flying --
by at least 3 to 1.

* * * * Alan

Not in my experience, ever. The cheapest power flying I ever did was
$19.50/hour wet for a C152 out of the Fort Lewis Flying Club, WA,
circa 1976.

I have fond memories of 50pence ($1US) five hour flights from winch
launches (RAF clubs). In the early 1990's while in the UK, the number
of second launches off the winch I took to commit soaring could be
counted on one hand for the season. Of course 19m and longer wings
help one scratch away on a regular basis.

Frank
Old September 25th 08, 08:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alan[_6_]

In article Frank Whiteley writes:
On Sep 24, 11:04 pm, (Alan) wrote:
In article

.com HoUdino writes:

With the increase in costs of power flying, one would believe a
program focused on power pilots would see some positive results for
soaring. Thanks for the post!

You must be kidding. Gliding costs *lots* more than power flying --
by at least 3 to 1.

Alan

Not in my experience, ever. The cheapest power flying I ever did was
$19.50/hour wet for a C152 out of the Fort Lewis Flying Club, WA,
circa 1976.

Perhaps I should elaborate.

I slightly beat that in 1977, but I was talking about what it costs
now. C-152's rent for $89 at Palo Alto, about 10 miles from home.

About an hour of glider time cost me $378 last weekend, once it
was added up. That didn't count the 70 mile drive each way to get
there.

I have fond memories of 50pence ($1US) five hour flights from winch
launches (RAF clubs). In the early 1990's while in the UK, the number
of second launches off the winch I took to commit soaring could be
counted on one hand for the season. Of course 19m and longer wings
help one scratch away on a regular basis.

Tows cost $26/1000 feet + $7 connection. Lift is apparently a
5000 - 6000 foot tow away, due to the marine layer arriving midday.

No way we get 5 hours for $1.

I have owned a power plane. I have an idea what it must cost to
own/operate/maintain a tow plane. I believe the costs of running
a commercial operation add up. One has to expect to pay to have an
operation that continues to exist.

But, it is not less expensive than power flight. I wish it were
inexpensive; really I do.

Alan
Old September 25th 08, 08:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67

On Sep 25, 1:04*pm, (Alan) wrote:

* You must be kidding. *Gliding costs *lots* more than power flying --
by at least 3 to 1.

* * * * Alan

Alan,

Explain that statement. I don't get it.

Give me a breakdown on a per flight basis on how gliding is 3x more
expensive than power flight.

Start with student pilot to private ticket, then intermediate XC 1-2
hour flights, then Advanced XC flight.

- John
Old September 26th 08, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Alan wrote:
I have owned a power plane. I have an idea what it must cost to
own/operate/maintain a tow plane. I believe the costs of running
a commercial operation add up. One has to expect to pay to have an
operation that continues to exist.

But, it is not less expensive than power flight.

Not the way you do it, but most people manage a far smaller per hour cost.

My cost is about $45/hour, including lost interest on the value of the
glider. It used to be more like $20/hour, but then I bought a really
expensive glider.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* Updated! "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* New Jan '08 - sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org