Archer Cowl needs work - Advice?

Old February 25th 05, 03:40 AM
Roger

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 01:58:48 GMT, George Patterson
wrote:

George Patterson
He who tries to carry a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in
no other way.

So, you've met my cat?

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old February 28th 05, 06:02 PM
Bob Chilcoat

Just to followup on this matter, I found a fiberglass "expert" at a boatyard
who offered to do the job for $250-300. One of my partners in the airplane
thought that was too high, and decided to do it himself. He'd taken a
composites course at Oshkosh a few years ago and was keen to try out his
skills. He did what appears to be a great job, and it's done. We'll see
how well it lasts. These were not structural problems, mostly cosmetic.
The A&P is happy with the results.

Since he's the partner who landed on the runway that was 18" too short and
put the spinner and prop into the chain link fence, (probably causing some
of the problems with the cowl) perhaps it's just karma returning. At any
rate, job done, very low cost, and looks very good.

Old March 3rd 05, 04:24 AM
Roger

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:02:45 -0500, "Bob Chilcoat"
wrote:

Just to followup on this matter, I found a fiberglass "expert" at a boatyard
who offered to do the job for $250-300. One of my partners in the airplane
thought that was too high, and decided to do it himself. He'd taken a
composites course at Oshkosh a few years ago and was keen to try out his
skills. He did what appears to be a great job, and it's done. We'll see
how well it lasts. These were not structural problems, mostly cosmetic.
The A&P is happy with the results.

Since he's the partner who landed on the runway that was 18" too short and
put the spinner and prop into the chain link fence, (probably causing some
of the problems with the cowl) perhaps it's just karma returning. At any
rate, job done, very low cost, and looks very good.

I hope he used the same or compatible resins.

Old March 3rd 05, 10:36 PM
Bob Chilcoat

So do I. He said he used a West epoxy that was recommended for boats.
Sounds like that should work for both epoxy and polyester resins. I guess
we'll see in a few months. Remember that none of this is structural -
purely cosmetic.

news

Old March 4th 05, 02:26 AM
Roger

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 17:36:44 -0500, "Bob Chilcoat"
wrote:

So do I. He said he used a West epoxy that was recommended for boats.
Sounds like that should work for both epoxy and polyester resins. I guess
we'll see in a few months. Remember that none of this is structural -
purely cosmetic.

I don't know anything about Polyester resins, but I don't think I'd
want to mix vinyl ester and epoxy without a lot of testing.