Jon Johanson stranded in Antartica....

Old December 15th 03, 04:29 AM
Cy Galley

Boy, You are in luck as we never charge and fix most everything that no one
plans for. But we only work for pleasant people, people who become our
"plane" friends.
--
Cy Galley, TC - Chair, Emergency Aircraft Repair, Oshkosh for 32 years
Editor, EAA Safety Programs

Always looking for articles for the Experimenter

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message
ervers.com...
In article l83Db.539930$HS4.4109702@attbi_s01,
Cy Galley wrote:
WHY DIDN'T HE MAKE ADVANCE ARRANGEMENTS to ship _his_own_ fuel there?

Using that rational, everyone should ship repair parts and tools to

possible
landing places like The Oshkosh convention just in case they have a

problem.
--
Cy Galley, TC - Chair, Emergency Aircraft Repair, Oshkosh

*IF*AND*WHEN* Oshkosh has a _published_policy_ of =not= providing

services,
and there's nobody "in the neighborhood" who will, for hire, deliver

services
on site, then "yes", it'd be a *damn* good idea.

The point is, you *CHECK*FIRST*. _IF_ services *are* available on-site,

no
problem. *IF*NOT*, you damn well better make 'alternate arrangements',

"just
in case". It's known as "insurance".

There are only a couple of possible scenarios:
1) He *DID*NOT* plan for 'what to do' in the case of problems with the
flight. Problems then developed, and he 'got lucky' and survived.
2) He _did_ consider 'what to do' in the case of problems, and McMurdo
was a *planned* emergency alternative. If so, Johnson either didn't
check on services availability, didn't care that it was published

that
services wee *not* available, or assumed the published rules "didn't
apply" to him.

In either scenario, I have a very difficult time seeing how is is

_possible_
to consider the fault to lay anywhere _other_ than with Johnson. Looks to

me
like the issue is 100% of _his_own_making_.

*DUE*TO*BAD*AND/OR*INSUFFICIENT*
*PLANNING* for contingency situations.

_Anyone_ who travels to/through/across "uninhabited" territory,

by -whatever-
means, better have plans for what to do 'if things go wrong'. It doesn't
matter if it's flying across Antarctica, sailing across the Pacific,

driving
across the desert, or going for a hike in the mountains, the principle is

the
same. If those contingency plans involve "somebody else" bailing you out

of
a jam, it is STUPID _not_ to verify that they are 'ready, willing, and

able'
to do so, *before* setting out.

Johnson appears to have failed badly at this basic element of project

planning.

Old December 15th 03, 04:41 AM
Rich S.

"Roger Halstead" wrote in message

Actually he was over the Oscoda Air Base here in Michigan which is why
he was so low on fuel.

ROFLMAO!

Rich S.

Old December 15th 03, 05:11 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Forrest" wrote:

What if all of those persons who are sympathetic to Jon Johanson's plight
were to put their money where their mouth is, start a fund, hire a whatever,
send a hero, make us all cry tears of joy, and save Jon. I do not write
this with animosity. Prove to me that there is a legitimate fund in place
and I'll send five bucks. And I've never even heard of the guy before I
started reading these strings.

A better idea is to contact our Congressmen and send NSF a message! They
are WAY out of line here and need to be reigned in, just like a lot of
other governmental organizations.
Old December 15th 03, 05:28 AM
Forrest

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Forrest" wrote:

What if all of those persons who are sympathetic to Jon Johanson's

plight
were to put their money where their mouth is, start a fund, hire a

whatever,
send a hero, make us all cry tears of joy, and save Jon. I do not write
this with animosity. Prove to me that there is a legitimate fund in

place
and I'll send five bucks. And I've never even heard of the guy before I
started reading these strings.

A better idea is to contact our Congressmen and send NSF a message! They
are WAY out of line here and need to be reigned in, just like a lot of
other governmental organizations.

Like I said. Five bucks.

Forrest

Old December 15th 03, 05:35 AM
Forrest

"Forrest" wrote:

What if all of those persons who are sympathetic to Jon Johanson's

plight
were to put their money where their mouth is, start a fund, hire a

whatever,
send a hero, make us all cry tears of joy, and save Jon. I do not

write
this with animosity. Prove to me that there is a legitimate fund in

place
and I'll send five bucks. And I've never even heard of the guy before

started reading these strings.

A better idea is to contact our Congressmen and send NSF a message! They
are WAY out of line here and need to be reigned in, just like a lot of
other governmental organizations.

Like I said. Five bucks.

Forrest

Write congress and leave the guy out there freezing his ass off while we
wait?! PROVE that there is a LEGITIMATE fund in place and, hell, I'll make
it TEN bucks. Any takers or movers and shakers out there?

Forrest

Old December 15th 03, 01:22 PM
Jimmy Galvin

Like I said SELF PROMOTION. Only this time he screwed up. He would make a
profit out of his flight and had no intentions of sharing that profit with
the ground crew. Now he wants them to support his flight by bailing his
sorry ass out of a jamb. As far as I'm concerned both he and you can stick
it.
"Jerry Springer" wrote in message
news
You don't know much about EAA and homebuilt aircraft it sounds like. Find

a book
he wrote telling about his experiences flying around the world a couple of

times
in his experimental RV-4. The book is called "Aiming High"

Jerry

Forrest wrote:
What if all of those persons who are sympathetic to Jon Johanson's

plight
were to put their money where their mouth is, start a fund, hire a

whatever,
send a hero, make us all cry tears of joy, and save Jon. I do not write
this with animosity. Prove to me that there is a legitimate fund in

place
and I'll send five bucks. And I've never even heard of the guy before I
started reading these strings.

Forrest

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message
ervers.com...

In article ,
ET wrote:

"Jimmy Galvin" wrote in
:

You can offer all apologies all you want but only for yourself. Don't
talk for me. I feel that he took a chance for glory, self promotion,
stupidity, or whatever and ended up with his tit caught in the
wringer. It is not up to me and my tax dollars to bail his sorry ass
out of the jamb he inflected on himself. This goes for all those fools
that climb mountains, trek through caves, or go exploring in the woods
relying on a GPS with 1/2 dead batteries to guide them along. They
should all just be left to their own devices and hopefully receive a
Darwin Award for their efforts.

Yeah, but to not even sell the guy fuel is bad form......

*WHY* ??

I'd suggest it is far _worse_ form for the PIC *not* to have "made sure

of"

the necessary resources =in=advance=/

If a pilot makes an "emergency" (or otherwise) landing in a farmer's

field,

is that farmer obligated in any way to sell him fuel from his farm

holding
tank, so he can fly the plane back out?

What, if *anything*, is different about the two scenarios?

Presumably, Jon *knew* he was going to need fuel when he got there.

WHY DIDN'T HE MAKE ADVANCE ARRANGEMENTS to ship _his_own_ fuel there?

What 'flight services' were listed as available at that location?
Betcha it's "no services".

Old December 15th 03, 01:45 PM
Eric Miller

"Jimmy Galvin" wrote in message
Excellent idea. Like Congress has nothing better to do.

Yeah, they got a full schedule of pork barrel and creating new holidays.

Eric

Old December 15th 03, 01:55 PM
Forrest

Yeah. Right. You really got me that time. Twenty bucks.

"Jerry Springer" wrote in message
ink.net...
Ah Forrest he is already on his way, by this time is probably already at

his
next destination.

Forrest wrote:
"Forrest" wrote in message