Jon Johanson stranded in Antartica....

Old December 15th 03, 05:06 PM
Russell Kent

Robert Bonomi wrote:

And he was -not- "self sufficient", for "support services".

Neither is the NSF. Do you not remember the woman diagnosed with breast cancer
last year? The NSF was unable to help her. The US Air Force had to bail her ass
out, first by dropping special meds to her, and later by flying a special air
evac mission. So since the NSF isn't "self sufficient", your argument doesn't
hold up.

The NSF may well believe that denying essential assistance (like use of a phone)
in Jon's case on the belief that it will discourage irrational thrill seekers.
The NSF is wrong. Thrill seekers are irrational, therefore the NSF's passive
dissuasion will not work. All that they have done is stir up a row among the
Aussies and us, and given themselves a blackeye.

Russell Kent

Old December 16th 03, 06:40 AM
Big John

Have a solution to the dumb *******s problem.

NZ is in the Coalition (they have 50 or so engineers rebuilding - not
in combat organizations).

In the joy running around the States and World with capture of SH it
would be an excellent time to pay NZ back for their (unpopular beating
around the world for being a member of the Coalition) support and have
them ask for something in return. Who know? Stranger things have
happened if GVT of NZ gets in the act.

Big John

My personal bottom line sure doesn't hold him out as a RESPONSIBLE
PILOT and he definitely is not a poster boy for GA (or experimental)
flight.

I can see his book now on how he worked the system.

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 02:38:05 GMT, John Ammeter
wrote:

Jon Johanson, known for his round the world flights in his
RV-4 as well as flights to Oshkosh may have some trouble
getting out of Antartica....

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp.../adventurer_dc

Old December 16th 03, 01:26 PM
Jerry Springer

Big John wrote:
Have a solution to the dumb *******s problem.

NZ is in the Coalition (they have 50 or so engineers rebuilding - not
in combat organizations).

In the joy running around the States and World with capture of SH it
would be an excellent time to pay NZ back for their (unpopular beating
around the world for being a member of the Coalition) support and have
them ask for something in return. Who know? Stranger things have
happened if GVT of NZ gets in the act.

Big John

My personal bottom line sure doesn't hold him out as a RESPONSIBLE
PILOT and he definitely is not a poster boy for GA (or experimental)
flight.

I can see his book now on how he worked the system.

Once again you speak about something you do not have a clue about.

Old December 16th 03, 01:48 PM
Larry Smith

"Little Bitty Big John" hurled in message
Have a solution to the dumb *******s problem.
[..] My personal bottom line sure doesn't hold him out as a RESPONSIBLE
PILOT and he definitely is not a poster boy for GA (or experimental)
flight.

I can see his book now on how he worked the system.

Hey, you cantankerous old weasel, call FAA and revoke his ticket.

Old December 16th 03, 10:31 PM
NigelPocock

Why dosnt he contact Britsh Antarctic Survey? I suspect they are likely to be
more sypathetic if only to get rid of him.

Old December 17th 03, 12:14 AM
Blueskies

He's flown out by now

--
Dan D.

..
"Morgans" wrote in message ...

"Jerry Springer" wrote

My personal bottom line sure doesn't hold him out as a RESPONSIBLE
PILOT and he definitely is not a poster boy for GA (or experimental)
flight.

I can see his book now on how he worked the system.

Once again you speak about something you do not have a clue about

########################

Jerry, can't you see that you don't have to have a clue about what was done,
to have an opinion?

John's "opinion" is no less valid than your opinion. What has been done has
been done. What the solution is, is irrelevant. His tit is in the sling,
and he is in their house. That makes them right. If he does not like it he
can leave.

Oh, what's that, you say? He can't leave? Oh yea!!!

Did I say they hold all the cards? They do. That is not opinion. What you
and I think is irrelevant. They call the shots. Period. In the meantime,
insulting others does nothing but make you look foolish.

Have a nice day!
--
Jim in NC

Old December 17th 03, 01:49 AM
Jerry Springer

Morgans wrote:
"Jerry Springer" wrote

[...]

Jim if any of you had a clue you would have known he left a couple days ago.

Old December 17th 03, 03:39 AM
Big John

Been a small flame and here is some fuel for a big flame.

A lot of people posting need to research the Treaties, rules and
regulations for any type operations in Antarctica. Also if one reads
old and current history there are multitudes of stories about the Wx
changes within 10-15 minutes with very high winds coming up and zero
visibility lasting for days. Wx forecasting down there is more of an
art than a science. With any sense you don't fly into that area
without lots of backup and alternate options. Particularly in a GA
bird.

He may well have gotten one of their conditional (warranty good until
you walk out the door) Wx checks and the wind came up and he was in
deep S***. The wind problem down there is well known and not making
options for it is ...............................(Responsible pilots
add your own words)

Not making alternate options I (and many) feel he just plain screwed
up and his notoriety in the Amateur built world (and Talking Heads
on TV) not withstanding, he has a hell of a problem that I doubt 'poor
boying' to the TV audience will work out for him.

So, go read the rules and history and then come back and argue with
the facts.

Why didn't he have the NZ government use there operations and contacts
down there to run interference for him and set up alternate emergency
landing authority and access to a limited amount of fuel? Might have
taken several years but those things are doable and are the
RESPONSIBLE thing to do.

Tough titty kitty (as they say).

Big John

Go ahead and fan the flame, (the 90 gallons are on the fire). I doubt
if I will add any more facts and figures to the thread but sit back
and keep my cold feet and hands warm.

Also:

AU supports us in Iraq. In the joy of SH , and AU in the 'Coalition'
someone may feel helping the poor crying ******* would be another
brownie point for the US??? Who knows. If they were on our side, now
is the time to strike for help.

I would expect a NOTAM to be put out that any fuel provided from their
limited stocks to be billed at $5000 a US gallon cash in advance (like
they do at the Panama Canal (No cash, no transit).

If he is going to write a book then get an advance $100K and have
someone fly a bird in with two drums of fuel and get on his way. He
needs to grab his socks and pull up and quit crying.

Have at it troops.

Big John

Old December 17th 03, 03:52 AM
Big John

OOps

Big John

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 00:40:49 -0600, Big John
wrote: *****************REWRITE TO CORECT ERRORS*****************

Have a solution to the dumb *******s problem.

Wrote this just out of Hospital and full of whatever they pump into
you.

AU has authorized up to 2000 military troops to particapate in the
Coalition) .

In the joy running around the States and World with capture of SH it
would be an excellent time to pay AU back for their (unpopular beating
around the world for being a member of the Coalition) support and have
them ask for something in return. Who know? Stranger things have
happened if GVT of AU gets in the act.