Aviation headsets and NASCAR noise

Old August 10th 05, 04:36 PM
Casey Wilson

Default Aviation headsets and NASCAR noise

I have a couple aviation headsets (not active noise suppression) that I'm
thinking of taking to the NASCAR race in California in September. I can plug
my handheld scanner into the portable intercom, so that appears to make a
good package.

Although I've never been to one I've heard the track noise is deafening so
the question is: Are these headsets adequate, overkill, or just plain not
worth toting along?

Old August 10th 05, 07:20 PM
john smith

Casey Wilson wrote:
Although I've never been to one I've heard the track noise is deafening so
the question is: Are these headsets adequate, overkill, or just plain not
worth toting along?

Unless you are listening to a scanner to the drivers and spotters, you
don't really need them. Foam earplugs work just as well for any noise
that may concern you.
Old August 10th 05, 11:01 PM
JJS

"Casey Wilson" N2310D @ gmail.com wrote in message news:tapKe.9200$0d.3534@trnddc02...

I have a couple aviation headsets (not active noise suppression) that I'm thinking of taking to the NASCAR race in
California in September. I can plug my handheld scanner into the portable intercom, so that appears to make a good
package.

Although I've never been to one I've heard the track noise is deafening so the question is: Are these headsets
adequate, overkill, or just plain not worth toting along?

Casey,
Definitely take the scanner and headsets. I use mine at Texas Motor Speedway a couple of times a year at both
NASCAR and IRL races. (The IRL cars are louder by quite a margin but I still use them for both). I usually scan and
find the motor racing radio channel and listen to that mainly, while having a couple of my favorite driver's
frequencies being programmed in for quick availability as well. To stay on topic... make sure you have aviation
headset adapters that convert to the proper plug size if you don't take the portable intercom. Even with it I
believe you'll need adapters to plug the scanner in. They will be available at the track at the racing scanner sales
trailers but are cheaper at rat shack. I use "Y" adapters so I can run four headsets from two radios without an
intercom. It makes the race much more interesting especially for my wife and kids. I have David Clarks and the
other is Lightspeed QFR solo's. They are not overkill at all. In fact the girls fight over the Lightspeeds (with
noise canceling) which is okay as I prefer the DC's.

Joe Schneider
8437R

Old August 11th 05, 05:04 PM
Trent Moorehead

"Casey Wilson" N2310D @ gmail.com wrote in message

I have a couple aviation headsets (not active noise suppression) that I'm
thinking of taking to the NASCAR race in California in September. I can

plug
my handheld scanner into the portable intercom, so that appears to make a
good package.

Although I've never been to one I've heard the track noise is deafening so
the question is: Are these headsets adequate, overkill, or just plain not
worth toting along?

Definitely take them. A radio broadcaster will be broadcasting the race (MRN
radio?) to affiliates during the day. You will get a program that will list
all of the frequencies of the drivers and the radio broadcasters. Tune to
the radio broadcast and then switch to some of your favorite drivers. What's
cool about the broadcast is that it is raw, without commercials. They take
commercial breaks, mind you, but the mics are hot and you hear the
broadcasters joking around sometimes poking fun at the drivers. They relay
pit strategies and point out things that are happening that you probably
wouldn't see. A track is a BIG place and your cone of vision can only take
in so much.

I think that having a headset and radio is a necessity at a race because
after a while you lose track of who's in front once drivers start getting
lapped. Then, it's just watching a bunch of extremely loud cars go 'round
and 'round. The scanner adds so much to the experience that I would not EVER
go to a race without one. Did I mention it was loud?

Also, if you've never been to a race and aren't a huge fan, I'll relay some
advice my brother gave to me at my first race: Pick a driver and pull for
them. Sounds simple, but it makes a difference.

-Trent
PP-ASEL

Old August 12th 05, 12:29 AM
Margy

Casey Wilson wrote:
I have a couple aviation headsets (not active noise suppression) that I'm
thinking of taking to the NASCAR race in California in September. I can plug
my handheld scanner into the portable intercom, so that appears to make a
good package.

Although I've never been to one I've heard the track noise is deafening so
the question is: Are these headsets adequate, overkill, or just plain not
worth toting along?

Ron dragged me to a race in Richmond and we brought the scanner/intercom
and headsets. Not only does it reduce the noise but makes the race much
more interesting. I'm NOT a race fan myself and I usually only went to
the local track as Ron was working and sitting in the tower wasn't so
bad (I usually got to throw the race safe button as the owner of the
track figured I was bored and couldn't screw that up!). Ron's brother
(a race fan) didn't think much of bringing the headsets until he used
them : -).

Margy
Old August 12th 05, 03:54 AM
Morgans

"Margy" wrote

(I usually got to throw the race safe button as the owner of the
track figured I was bored and couldn't screw that up!).

Race Safe Button? Whazat?
--
Jim in NC
Old September 9th 05, 05:58 AM

They are totally worth taking along. I can recommend the David Clark
10A. It is a hearing protector of aviation quality but really
affordable and more importantly, comfortable. I once attended a race
with only those little yellow ear plugs and my ears buzzed for a week.

Definitely go with the hearing protector and enjoy the race.
TAG
www.tagpilotsupply.com