winglets

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 7th 06, 12:20 AM
bagmaker bagmaker is offline
Senior Member

Location: Melbourne Australia
Default winglets

OK, I can get the theory (OR can I?) with winglets to reduce wingtip vortices.

Surely the best direction for the tip is DOWN!, I understand this may be difficult for actually making, especially with gliders and groundloops, aesthetics, etc, but can someone explain why they are pointing up?

Consider this..
The HIGH pressure area is UNDER the wing, we want to keep this from migrating to the LOW pressure area ABOVE the wing. Our current wingtip style will restrict the LOW pressure from bleeding sideways (and why would it anyway) yet the majority (?) of our lift is generated from the HIGH pressure BELOW the wing.

This high pressure is what we want to retain and utilise, yet it is still allowed to bleed out sideways. Sure the current shape of wingtip will reduce the vortices caused by the two pressures meeting, and thus the drag, but it wont increase the lift available by retaining the HIGH pressure UNDER the wing, where it is most useful.

I also note the return of the "plate" style winglet on latest jetliners, half above, half below the wingtip, instead of a large winglet.

Enlighten me, O knowledgable ones!

Wayne

LS4 Winglets Sleigh Soaring 2 June 8th 05 01:38 AM
Ventus A 16.6 extensions wanted or 15 meter winglets goneill Soaring 0 January 5th 05 06:27 AM
winglets for LS-1 Brad Soaring 4 October 26th 04 06:11 PM
ASW20L extentions with winglets? goneill Soaring 6 September 17th 04 10:28 PM
Discus Winglets Kevin Neave Soaring 2 October 15th 03 11:35 AM