NOVEMBER ISSUE - Gliding International

Old October 24th 16, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Branko Stojkovic

Default NOVEMBER ISSUE - Gliding International

This is news to me too. So far I have been downloading the pdf files without problems.
Old October 24th 16, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, October 24, 2016 at 3:14:27 PM UTC+1, Branko Stojkovic wrote:
This is news to me too. So far I have been downloading the pdf files without problems.

I wouldn't carry on subscribing if they were to make impossible to download as a pdf
Old October 25th 16, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Janice from GI replied...

Apparently there's a mismatch between implementation of their digital subscriptions with their web host that is allowing downloads of a PDF and their subscription policy which does not allow it. Personally, I won't subscribe to digital unless I can save issues. I disagree with the policy. Sorry I blew up this capability..

Here's their reply:

"If the position is as you described, it is totally contrary to the
agreement we have with our web page hosts.

The situation is being addressed and corrected. Downloads was never agreed
to nor planned.

JANICE"

Walt Rogers WX
Old October 25th 16, 01:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Why you all ..... highlighted this situation ?

Sort of self harm ?

Old October 25th 16, 02:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

It is now. I was going to purchase a subscription but if you can't download it I am not interested.

Old October 25th 16, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Tuesday, October 25, 2016 at 8:54:38 AM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
It is now. I was going to purchase a subscription but if you can't download it I am not interested.

Agree completely. Digital is supposed to eliminate their printing and mailing costs, but still let you have the magazine available to you any time you want it. Glad I have stuck with my paper subscription. They can't take that back once they mail it to me!

Suggest you re-consider this, Mr Roake. You may have just cost yourself a bunch of subscribers.

Old October 25th 16, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Branko Stojkovic

GI may be worrying that the subscribers may share the digital copies with their friends, or even worse, post them on the Internet.

I for one promise not to do any of that!

Branko

Old October 25th 16, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"GI may be worrying that the subscribers may share the digital copies with their friends"

As opposed to just handing the printed copy to your friends?

Old October 26th 16, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Tuesday, October 25, 2016 at 10:47:25 AM UTC-4, wrote:
"GI may be worrying that the subscribers may share the digital copies with their friends"

There are digital publishing platforms that give subscribers a private offline copy of the magazine that is not sharable.
https://magazine.readz.com/digital-p...latforms-tools
Old October 26th 16, 03:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Sorry to inform Gliding International that their host web service was allowing pdf downloads when they didn't intend this to happen.

DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER!

I was simply trying to find out from them what the policy was... when other here on r.a.s. informed me that pdf's could be downloaded... oops

At some point Roake and subscription would have discovered the implementation error. Now they know...

I think it's going to hurt their digital subscription business tremendously.. After all, why would you only want the current magazine to read on-line? .... never able to go back to previous issues.

Unless I hear differently, I'm ordering the paper magazine until they get this sorted out.

Walt Rogers Wx