They really *are* shooting at the helicopters...

Old September 2nd 05, 09:18 AM
kontiki

Dudley Henriques wrote:

What we are witnessing now in the United States is the classic example of
good vs evil.

What we are witnessing is a result of several generations of breeding a type
of individual that expects government to take care of their every need from
cradle to grave, with no requirement of any level of responsibility on their
part... then when there is an interruption of flow from the nipple they
get angry.

Old September 2nd 05, 09:22 AM
kontiki

Dan Luke wrote:
Idiot species attempts to re-engineer nature.

Insert:

Idiot species elects incompetent leftists to re-engineer society that will
self-destruct when the going gets tough.

Idiot species over populates planet.

Idiot species pollutes only home it's got.

Idiot species perishes.

Old September 2nd 05, 10:57 AM
Cub Driver

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 21:33:16 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

"Hospitals are trying to evacuate," said Coast Guard Lt. Cmdr. Cheri
Ben-Iesan, spokesman at the city emergency operations center. "At every one
of them, there are reports that as the helicopters come in people are
shooting at them. There are people just taking potshots at police and at
helicopters, telling them, `You better come get my family.'"

What a way to persuade someone to rescue you!

My instinct tells me that this sort of rumor races around every
chaotic situation, and that very few if any holes will actually be
found in the helicopter fleet.

Still, I am a bit embarrassed by the reaction of American victims as
compared to the Thais, Indonesians, etc. at their recent catastrophe.
Perhaps it's only because the TV coverage is more intense, and the
language is English? I can't get out of my mind the image of the woman
who glares at the camera and says flatly: "I need my insulin." I might
be wrong, and I'm sorry for anyone who has to put up with diabetes,
but it seems to me that she has spent her life having her needs
delivered to her by government servants at taxpayer expense.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old September 2nd 05, 01:29 PM
Dan Thompson

Unfortunately you left out the first step:

Idiot spawns little idiots..

Helicopter flies near ...

"Mike W." wrote in message
I'm a strong believer in Darwinism.

Helicopter flies near.

Idiot shoots at helicopter.

Helicopter flies away.

Idiot drowns.

If only the process were that swift.

Old September 2nd 05, 04:49 PM
Allen

"kontiki" wrote in message
Dudley Henriques wrote:

What we are witnessing now in the United States is the classic example of
good vs evil.

What we are witnessing is a result of several generations of breeding a
type
of individual that expects government to take care of their every need
from
cradle to grave, with no requirement of any level of responsibility on
their
part... then when there is an interruption of flow from the nipple they
get angry.

Agreed, my wife and I couldn't believe as we watched the news on the day
they were lined up to get into the Superdome one woman, who was being
interviewed had nothing but her purse with her. She was asked where her
belongings were, she said she didn't need any, the Red Cross would take care
of her.

Old September 3rd 05, 12:28 AM
Peter Duniho

"Cub Driver" wrote in message
[...]
Still, I am a bit embarrassed by the reaction of American victims as
compared to the Thais, Indonesians, etc. at their recent catastrophe.

I'm not sure what you mean here. There was significant reporting of similar
opportunism with respect to the tsunami aftermath and relief efforts. If
anything, it's interesting how such supposedly widely different cultures
revert to the same basic human flaws when stressed in similar ways.

If anything, there were even worse violations of basic human rights during
the tsunami crisis, most likely just because of the more wide-spread
disruption.

Pete

Old September 3rd 05, 04:00 AM
Dan Luke

"Peter Duniho" wrote:

If anything, there were even worse violations of basic human rights
during the tsunami crisis, most likely just because of the more
wide-spread disruption.

It's interesting how shocked America is at the looting in N. O., as if
no one could have expected such a thing, or that modern morality has
sunk to a new low.

In the aftermath of the 1900 Galveston storm, looting was widespread.
Many corpses had fingers cut off by robbers to steal their rings.
Commercial boat owners formed a trust and charged extortionate prices to
ferry desperate refugees to the mainland.

It would have been truly surprising if any kind of civil order had
survived this current disaster in N. O.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old September 3rd 05, 11:16 AM
Cub Driver

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 15:49:26 GMT, "Allen"
wrote:

had nothing but her purse with her. She was asked where her
belongings were, she said she didn't need any, the Red Cross would take care
of her.

I suppose she needed the purse because of the photo ID?

Or Medicaid card.

I suppose what we're doing here is a classic example of blaming the
victim. I do not ordinarily watch TV except during invasions and
natural calamities, but I have to say that when my wife asks if this
is to be dinner with Smiling Charlie Gibson or out on the porch, I now
opt for the porch. I can't bear to watch the New Orleans coverage, and
not because of the damage. It's the people!

Reminds me of an Englishman I knew in Frankfurt years ago. A friend of
his had been at Dunkirk during the great evacuation in May 1940.

What was it like?

"My dear chap," answered the friend. "The noise. The smell. The
PEOPLE."

Old September 3rd 05, 06:32 PM

Jay Honeck wrote:
A National Guard military policeman was shot in the leg as the two scuffled
for the MP's rifle, police Capt. Ernie Demmo said. The man was arrested.

Unbelievable.

Just a few months ago, my son returned from a 16 month tour of night
time raids and searching for IEDs in Iraq. His upcoming leave was
cancelled; right now he and a bunch of his friends (along with their
field equipment and weapons) are deploying into the disaster area.

One way or another, I think that the looting and stealing and raping
will be coming to an immediate stop. We can only hope that meaningful
recovery can begin soon.....

-Dave Russell

Old September 3rd 05, 09:18 PM
Matt Barrow

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

In the aftermath of the 1900 Galveston storm, looting was widespread.

Commercial boat owners formed a trust and charged extortionate prices to
ferry desperate refugees to the mainland.

Do you have a cite for this last one? I've heard just the opposite.

--
Matt