A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

IGC flight replay question

Old February 3rd 14, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrew Brayer
external usenet poster

Default IGC flight replay question

As a result of the Appalachian ridge seminar, I started playing with IGC flight replay, to learn by watching other pilots' flights. I went to the SSA page to download flight traces from previous contests, and I managed to watch a few flights with it. I have a question though:

When I downloaded the day's traces for a field of pilots from a race, it downloaded the flights in IGC replay format, and i was unable to tell whose file was whose. i did see the contest ID on the file names for CAI users, but for ClearNav files i couldn't figure out which flight belonged to which pilot. anyone know how to determine this?

if you are not familiar with IGC flight replay, i already recommend checking it out, and i've only been messing with it for a few minutes. It gives you a "cockpit" view of the route the pilot used, the speeds, altitudes, and vario readings amongst other things. what's great, especially for ridge soaring, is that it uses google earth, so you can become familiar with what transitions, checkpoints, terrain, and gaps look like, as well as a *general* idea of the number and slope of field in a particular area.

also, it's free. you do need google earth to run the viewer.

it can be found he

http://ywtw.de/igcsimen.html
Old February 3rd 14, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, February 3, 2014 12:16:32 PM UTC-5, Andrew Brayer wrote:
As a result of the Appalachian ridge seminar, I started playing with IGC flight replay, to learn by watching other pilots' flights. I went to the SSA page to download flight traces from previous contests, and I managed to watch a few flights with it. I have a question though:

When I downloaded the day's traces for a field of pilots from a race, it downloaded the flights in IGC replay format, and i was unable to tell whose file was whose. i did see the contest ID on the file names for CAI users, but for ClearNav files i couldn't figure out which flight belonged to which pilot. anyone know how to determine this?

if you are not familiar with IGC flight replay, i already recommend checking it out, and i've only been messing with it for a few minutes. It gives you a "cockpit" view of the route the pilot used, the speeds, altitudes, and vario readings amongst other things. what's great, especially for ridge soaring, is that it uses google earth, so you can become familiar with what transitions, checkpoints, terrain, and gaps look like, as well as a *general* idea of the number and slope of field in a particular area.

it can be found he

Hi Andy,

if you open an IGC file with a text editor (e.g. notepad) the identifying
info is listed at the top of the file, e.g.:

AFLA8NV
HFDTE310713
HFFXA500
HFPLTPilotincharge:Matt McKrell
HPCM2Crew2:
HFGTYGliderType:
HFGIDGliderID:N196H
HFDTM100GPSDatum:WGS84
HFCCLCompetitionClass:
HFCIDCompetitionID:6H
HFRFWFirmwareVersion:3.00
HFRHWHardwareVersion:1.0
HFFTYFRType:PowerFLARM-IGC
HFGPSType:u-blox NEO-6Q
HFPRSPressAltSensor:MEAS MS5607

Once you figure out who goes with which file, write down the 3 character
serial number of the flight recorder encoded in the filename. For the 8.3
short name, that's positions 5-7. For the 21.3 long name version, it's the
5th group in the name (positions 16-18). That will always remain the same for
the pilot in a contest unless they have to rely on a backup recorder.

Matt
Old February 3rd 14, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, February 3, 2014 11:16:32 AM UTC-6, Andrew Brayer wrote:
I have a question though: When I downloaded the day's traces for a field of pilots from a race, it downloaded the flights in IGC replay format, and i was unable to tell whose file was whose. i did see the contest ID on the file names for CAI users, but for ClearNav files i couldn't figure out which flight belonged to which pilot. anyone know how to determine this?

Some contests list the log file name out to the side of the daily results. If not, I took the approach of pick a day, open each file, and make your own "decoder" to list who has what logger. Of course, some of us changed loggers from day to day during a contest.

I have one that I do not like to use on tall days, as it has an ever increasing error with altitude that has caused me a start penalty in the past. Didn't discover this error until long after the contest, and would rather not burden the scorer with a calibration sheet to review my log at and around start times.

Steve Leonard
Old February 3rd 14, 09:53 PM

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Brayer View Post

Andrew,

You can open an IGC file in a text editor and look at the "H" (header) records for names, competition IDs, and etc. If the information is not there, I think it will be pretty difficult (impossible?) to tell whose trace you're looking at.

Brad.
Old February 3rd 14, 10:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Bick (1DB)
external usenet poster

On Monday, February 3, 2014 9:16:32 AM UTC-8, Andrew Brayer wrote:

it can be found he

This is really good. I've been using SeeYou to replay .igc files. This has SY beat for this type viewing, I think. And it edges out using Google Earth by itself, since it shows the flight paths taken by others flying in a given area. OLC has all the info you need to find any glider area and flight files for that area - from high performance flights to low margin flights. Thanks.
Eric Bick -
Old February 5th 14, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
NG[_2_]
external usenet poster

If the data is in the header of the igc file, you can read the pilot name under the 'info' button on the IGCFR control panel, or as previously advised by others, look at the header records in the igc file with a text editor, usually the fourth line....