New prop, one less AD, and some great customer service from Hartzell

Old October 21st 07, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jack Allison

Default New prop, one less AD, and some great customer service from Hartzell

This past December, I was lamenting our options in dealing with AD
2006-18-15, the repetitive eddy current inspections on our Hartzell prop
hub. Our prop had been through three overhauls and it likely would not
have made it through one more (prop shop did some measurements while on
the plane and it was a matter of how thick the paint was as to whether
or not it could go through another overhaul).

We considered repetitive inspections as well as priced out our options
for 2-blade replacement props. We'd ruled out 3-blade options mostly
due to the increased cost.

After posting about it here in r.a.o (see:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...6c816188d4d93),
I received an e-mail from Kevin Ryan at Hartzell telling me about
their 40% discount on a replacement prop and hub. As it turns out, this
was about 1.2 AMUs less than what a local prop shop had quoted me for a
2-blade McCauley prop & hub. My partners and I pondered the options and
decided to go with the Hartzell option.

This past week we had the prop installed and it looks and works just
fine. Yea, for us, AD 2006-18-15 has been terminated.

One thing I wanted to mention is the great customer service response
from Hartzell. I'd been a little soured on them due to a pretty lame
response to my questions of their guy at their booth during the 2006
AOPA expo. My experience in dealing with Hartzell for the replacement
prop, however, dramatically turned my opinion around. Kevin provided
all of the information for ordering the prop as well as answering a
bunch of questions about returning the old prop. It was a very positive
interaction and in the end, we received exactly what we were looking for
at a substantial discount.

If anyone wants Kevin's e-mail address, drop me an e-mail. Unless, of
course, you're reading this Kevin and feel like increasing your spam
intake by posting your e-mail address. :-) It could be a test of
Hartzell's spam filters, eh?

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane

"To become a Jedi knight, you must master a single force. To become
a private pilot you must strive to master four of them"
- Rod Machado

Old October 22nd 07, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

After posting about it here in r.a.o (see:http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...hread/thre...),
I received an e-mail from Kevin Ryan at Hartzell telling me about
their 40% discount on a replacement prop and hub. As it turns out, this
was about 1.2 AMUs less than what a local prop shop had quoted me for a
2-blade McCauley prop & hub. My partners and I pondered the options and
decided to go with the Hartzell option.

I think the discount ended at the end of September. I considered it as
well but ended up doing the ECI. My blades are also near limits.
However, I've heard a lot of good things about the new 2 blade
composite available from Lake Aero. The price is only a bit more than
the Hartzell discount so I decided to continue doing the ECI and if I
knick a blade I'll pay the extra 1.5 AMU for the new composite prop.
People are claiming 3-5 knots extra on the new prop but the
interesting thing about the new prop is that it (in theory) has an
unlimited life span. During overhaul the blades do not get smaller as
metal blades do so you can overhaul it as many times as necessary.
I just had my ECI done at Stockton. $350 plus an AM off work but it
only took an hour. The shop has a deal that they use Top Gun's hanger
so they can do it on the field.

-Robert

Old October 22nd 07, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

People are claiming 3-5 knots extra on the new prop but the
interesting thing about the new prop is that it (in theory) has an
unlimited life span. During overhaul the blades do not get smaller as
metal blades do so you can overhaul it as many times as necessary.

What's involved with overhauling a composite prop?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 22nd 07, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Burns[_2_]

My understanding as explained by a friend/A&P/IA/Part137 guy who is working
with MT to apply one of their models to PT6 driven AirTractors is that the
interior hub and bearing work is fairly normal however after the blades are
ground they are built back up and finished to original factory specs.
Jim

oups.com...

Old October 22nd 07, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Oct 22, 12:24 pm, Jay Honeck wrote:
People are claiming 3-5 knots extra on the new prop but the
interesting thing about the new prop is that it (in theory) has an
unlimited life span. During overhaul the blades do not get smaller as
metal blades do so you can overhaul it as many times as necessary.

What's involved with overhauling a composite prop?

I believe after they are ground they are built-up again.

-Robert

Old October 22nd 07, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter Clark

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 20:25:15 -0000, "Robert M. Gary"
wrote:

On Oct 22, 12:24 pm, Jay Honeck wrote:
People are claiming 3-5 knots extra on the new prop but the
interesting thing about the new prop is that it (in theory) has an
unlimited life span. During overhaul the blades do not get smaller as
metal blades do so you can overhaul it as many times as necessary.

What's involved with overhauling a composite prop?

I believe after they are ground they are built-up again.

Some also have (titanium?) erosion strip on the leading edge so that
you can replace the strip if you somehow manage to dent it.
Old October 23rd 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Oct 20, 7:44 pm, Jack Allison
wrote:
[...]

Congrats to Hartzell and Kevin for stepping up to the plane and
accepting some responsibility for a marginal design of the hub. A
very nobel act in this day and age..

Ben

Old October 23rd 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Oct 22, 7:42 pm, " wrote:
On Oct 20, 7:44 pm, Jack Allison
wrote:

[...]

A "marginal design" that has worked without problems since the 70's.
Certainly much more reliable than anything Lycoming, Cont., Cessna,
King, etc have ever made.

-Robert

Old October 24th 07, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

: Congrats to Hartzell and Kevin for stepping up to the plane and
: accepting some responsibility for a marginal design of the hub. A
: very nobel act in this day and age..

: A "marginal design" that has worked without problems since the 70's.
: Certainly much more reliable than anything Lycoming, Cont., Cessna,
: King, etc have ever made.

: -Robert

Engineering (*especially in aviation*) is about making something as strong as necessary, but no stronger.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA *
* Electrical Engineering *

Old October 24th 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Oct 23, 6:27 pm, wrote:
: Congrats to Hartzell and Kevin for stepping up to the plane and
: accepting some responsibility for a marginal design of the hub. A
: very nobel act in this day and age..

: A "marginal design" that has worked without problems since the 70's.
: Certainly much more reliable than anything Lycoming, Cont., Cessna,
: King, etc have ever made.

: -Robert

Engineering (*especially in aviation*) is about making something as strong as necessary, but no stronger.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA *
* Electrical Engineering *

If there has not been "any problems" with it why is there a repetitive
eddy current inspection on Hartzell prop hubs. ????

Inquiring minds and all....

Ben