A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Kawa.....

Old August 9th 14, 02:45 AM

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Fidler View Post
You are correct! It appears that Sebastian Kawa won the 2012 15 Meter Class World Championship at WGC Uvalde 2012 by ONLY 440 points (not quite 600). I don't understand what you mean by gaining half of those points on the final day. It appears that Kawa gained only 7 points on the last day (13). Not to shabby, regardless.

snip

Kawa is the best competition glider pilot ever, by far and without question.. He has the whole world gunning for him every contest. The only question is how long can he maintain this run!
I would venture that it's not without question. There have been other excellent pilots both in the past and at present that have excellent contest winning pedigree.

There have been some e.g. Sue Kussbach, Ingo Renner, George Lee and Michael Sommer, that I can think off, that have won 3 world titles in a row in the same class. Not an easily achieved feat and one that Kawa has yet to do.

I take nothing away from Sebastian, in fact if there was betting involved my money would be on him (saw him fly the SGP final at Omarama in 2007). He's my pick as winner in whatever contest he flies and he does seem to fly a lot. I actually wonder what his winning percentage is over all the National level and higher comps he's been in.

As a side note and probably worthy of a thread it's own is 'how good is the variety of gliders span wise that are competitive in the open these days?'

:-) Colin

Last edited by Ventus_a : August 9th 14 at 06:04 AM. Reason: for clarity
Old August 9th 14, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Kawa.....

You can add another WC to Kawa's resume today...by over 300 pts. BTW, the new 18M champ is a Pole too.
Old August 9th 14, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Kawa.....

A Diana2, a JS-1, and an EB-29.
A SH shutout at this WC.
Old August 9th 14, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Kawa.....

Correction ASG-29, not JS-1
Old August 11th 14, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler
external usenet poster

Default Kawa.....

On Saturday, August 9, 2014 2:11:08 PM UTC-4, wrote:
You can add another WC to Kawa's resume today...by over 300 pts. BTW, the new 18M champ is a Pole too.

Absolutely amazing. He was close to the top in the poor weather (early in the event) and pulled away once it got better. I don't think many fully appreciate how difficult it is to win this many world level competitions (in various classes, gliders and formats).

Congratulations Sebastian!