A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Ed Byars

Old December 24th 20, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Guy Byars[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default Ed Byars

It is with great sadness that the Byars family announces the passing of Ed Byars known to many as simply "Echo Delta". He passed peacefully Thursday morning of natural causes.

Being a private and modest man, I don't believe he would want much posted here, but note the following:
* Co-founder with Bill Holbrook of the Soaring Symposia, a training and information sharing organization in the 1960s through the 1980s.
* Member of the SSA hall of fame
* Former Chairman of the SSA
* Dedicated competition and sport soaring pilot
* Mentor to many, friend to all

I know he would want you to remember him privately in your own way.

Guy Byars
Old December 24th 20, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default Ed Byars

On 12/24/20 11:11 AM, Guy Byars wrote:
It is with great sadness that the Byars family announces the passing of Ed Byars known to many as simply "Echo Delta". He passed peacefully Thursday morning of natural causes.

Being a private and modest man, I don't believe he would want much posted here, but note the following:
* Co-founder with Bill Holbrook of the Soaring Symposia, a training and information sharing organization in the 1960s through the 1980s.

Guy Byars

RIP

--
Dan
5J
Old December 25th 20, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Ed Byars

On Thursday, December 24, 2020 at 1:25:10 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
On 12/24/20 11:11 AM, Guy Byars wrote:

Guy Byars

RIP, ED....
He was a great guy. It was an honor to have known him.
Condolences to the family.
RO
Old December 25th 20, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wallace Berry[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Ed Byars

On Thursday, December 24, 2020 at 12:11:32 PM UTC-6, wrote:

Guy Byars

Ed was one of the Greats! "Mentor to many, friend to all", yes he was. No finer gentleman ever strapped on a glider. We will miss him terribly.
Old December 25th 20, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Iacobucci
external usenet poster

Default Ed Byars

On Thursday, December 24, 2020 at 8:55:01 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Guy Byars

Ed was one of the Greats! "Mentor to many, friend to all", yes he was. No finer gentleman ever strapped on a glider. We will miss him terribly.

His book, Cross Country Soaring has been a reliable companion at my night table at bed time for many many many years. One of my "Bibles" of soaring cross country. I never meet Ed Byars, but I know him well through his literature that I have incorporated into my flying mantra. He lives eternally through the works he has passed on to us all. Amen
Old December 25th 20, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jefferson shingleton
external usenet poster

Default Ed Byars

On Thursday, December 24, 2020 at 9:35:08 PM UTC-5, John Iacobucci wrote:
On Thursday, December 24, 2020 at 8:55:01 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Many also know that Ed Byars taught at the West Virginia University College of Engineering in the 1970’s when I was a student there. He authored classic textbooks on mechanics, dynamics and statics, textbooks that were used in both the Civil and Mechanical programs.

I was amazed, when I happened to meet Dr. Byars again in appx 2008, visiting BRSS at New Castle, VA, and to discover that he was also a glider pilot!
Old December 25th 20, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

Default Ed Byars

On Thursday, December 24, 2020 at 1:11:32 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Guy Byars

Sorry for the news, but sounds he was with family.
I have met the family at BRSS and other places over the years.
Condolences to family and friends....
Old December 25th 20, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hank Nixon
external usenet poster

Default Ed Byars

On Thursday, December 24, 2020 at 1:11:32 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Guy Byars

Ed was one of the finest people I have ever known.
Always kind and wise
Dry sense of humor
Giving of experience, wisdom, and knowledge.
My favorite saying of Ed's- "What is the most important aircraft in your life? The next one"
He is one of a kind and will be missed greatly.
UH
Old December 26th 20, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Good
external usenet poster

Default Ed Byars

A notable figure in our sport, and a true gentleman. I'm glad to have known and flown with him.
Old December 30th 20, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Ed Byars

I'm so sorry to hear this news. Like others, I cut my teeth on soaring symposia. Ed was truly gracious, thoughtful person. He befriended me, a whippersnapper, and corresponded on many non-soaring matters.

John Cochrane