Ed Byars

Old December 24th 20, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Guy Byars[_5_]

Default Ed Byars

It is with great sadness that the Byars family announces the passing of Ed Byars known to many as simply "Echo Delta". He passed peacefully Thursday morning of natural causes.

Being a private and modest man, I don't believe he would want much posted here, but note the following:
* Co-founder with Bill Holbrook of the Soaring Symposia, a training and information sharing organization in the 1960s through the 1980s.
* Member of the SSA hall of fame
* Former Chairman of the SSA
* Dedicated competition and sport soaring pilot
* Mentor to many, friend to all

I know he would want you to remember him privately in your own way.

Guy Byars

Old December 25th 20, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, December 24, 2020 at 1:25:10 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
On 12/24/20 11:11 AM, Guy Byars wrote:
It is with great sadness that the Byars family announces the passing of Ed Byars known to many as simply "Echo Delta". He passed peacefully Thursday morning of natural causes.

Being a private and modest man, I don't believe he would want much posted here, but note the following:
* Co-founder with Bill Holbrook of the Soaring Symposia, a training and information sharing organization in the 1960s through the 1980s.
* Member of the SSA hall of fame
* Former Chairman of the SSA
* Dedicated competition and sport soaring pilot
* Mentor to many, friend to all

I know he would want you to remember him privately in your own way.

Guy Byars

RIP, ED....
He was a great guy. It was an honor to have known him.
Condolences to the family.
RO
Old December 25th 20, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wallace Berry[_2_]

On Thursday, December 24, 2020 at 12:11:32 PM UTC-6, wrote:
It is with great sadness that the Byars family announces the passing of Ed Byars known to many as simply "Echo Delta". He passed peacefully Thursday morning of natural causes.

Being a private and modest man, I don't believe he would want much posted here, but note the following:
* Co-founder with Bill Holbrook of the Soaring Symposia, a training and information sharing organization in the 1960s through the 1980s.
* Member of the SSA hall of fame
* Former Chairman of the SSA
* Dedicated competition and sport soaring pilot
* Mentor to many, friend to all

I know he would want you to remember him privately in your own way.

Guy Byars

Ed was one of the Greats! "Mentor to many, friend to all", yes he was. No finer gentleman ever strapped on a glider. We will miss him terribly.
Old December 25th 20, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Iacobucci

On Thursday, December 24, 2020 at 8:55:01 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

His book, Cross Country Soaring has been a reliable companion at my night table at bed time for many many many years. One of my "Bibles" of soaring cross country. I never meet Ed Byars, but I know him well through his literature that I have incorporated into my flying mantra. He lives eternally through the works he has passed on to us all. Amen
Old December 25th 20, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jefferson shingleton

On Thursday, December 24, 2020 at 9:35:08 PM UTC-5, John Iacobucci wrote:
On Thursday, December 24, 2020 at 8:55:01 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thursday, December 24, 2020 at 12:11:32 PM UTC-6, wrote:
It is with great sadness that the Byars family announces the passing of Ed Byars known to many as simply "Echo Delta". He passed peacefully Thursday morning of natural causes.

Many also know that Ed Byars taught at the West Virginia University College of Engineering in the 1970’s when I was a student there. He authored classic textbooks on mechanics, dynamics and statics, textbooks that were used in both the Civil and Mechanical programs.

I was amazed, when I happened to meet Dr. Byars again in appx 2008, visiting BRSS at New Castle, VA, and to discover that he was also a glider pilot!
Old December 25th 20, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Thursday, December 24, 2020 at 1:11:32 PM UTC-5, wrote:
It is with great sadness that the Byars family announces the passing of Ed Byars known to many as simply "Echo Delta". He passed peacefully Thursday morning of natural causes.

Being a private and modest man, I don't believe he would want much posted here, but note the following:
* Co-founder with Bill Holbrook of the Soaring Symposia, a training and information sharing organization in the 1960s through the 1980s.
* Member of the SSA hall of fame
* Former Chairman of the SSA
* Dedicated competition and sport soaring pilot
* Mentor to many, friend to all

I know he would want you to remember him privately in your own way.

Guy Byars

Sorry for the news, but sounds he was with family.
I have met the family at BRSS and other places over the years.
Condolences to family and friends....
Old December 25th 20, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hank Nixon

On Thursday, December 24, 2020 at 1:11:32 PM UTC-5, wrote:
It is with great sadness that the Byars family announces the passing of Ed Byars known to many as simply "Echo Delta". He passed peacefully Thursday morning of natural causes.

Being a private and modest man, I don't believe he would want much posted here, but note the following:
* Co-founder with Bill Holbrook of the Soaring Symposia, a training and information sharing organization in the 1960s through the 1980s.
* Member of the SSA hall of fame
* Former Chairman of the SSA
* Dedicated competition and sport soaring pilot
* Mentor to many, friend to all

I know he would want you to remember him privately in your own way.

Guy Byars

Ed was one of the finest people I have ever known.
Always kind and wise
Dry sense of humor
Giving of experience, wisdom, and knowledge.
My favorite saying of Ed's- "What is the most important aircraft in your life? The next one"
He is one of a kind and will be missed greatly.
UH
Old December 26th 20, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Good

A notable figure in our sport, and a true gentleman. I'm glad to have known and flown with him.
Old December 30th 20, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

I'm so sorry to hear this news. Like others, I cut my teeth on soaring symposia. Ed was truly gracious, thoughtful person. He befriended me, a whippersnapper, and corresponded on many non-soaring matters.

John Cochrane