Libelle Camelbak stowage

Old May 2nd 21, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Libelle Camelbak stowage

Tell that to these guys...

https://vimeo.com/292235615

Dan
5J

AFAIK, being involved in multiple accident investigations, an 11g deceleration will fail your restraints and liquefy your internal organs. So securing your Camel full of ice and using it as a cooling headrest should be well outside risk considerations...the oxygen rack is even scarier, even though my charged steel bottle only weighs 13#. Without getting into why I offer this, I would defer to anyone that can show their work...

Old May 2nd 21, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Sun, 02 May 2021 14:34:27 -0600, Dan Marotta wrote:

Tell that to these guys...

https://vimeo.com/292235615

Thanks for posting: I've known about Stapp's rocketrides (and their
close connection to MURPHY) but this the first film I've seen of Stapp
riding that sled.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old May 2nd 21, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nicholas Kennedy

That first rocket sled track shot looks like it might be the track up on the mesa, along a line from Parowan Ut to Colorado City Ut.
It looks like the Pine Valley Mts in the backround.
We've flown over it many times.
83 G's Wow
Nothing like the USAF to max those test pilots guys out.
Nick
Old May 2nd 21, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Col. Stapp was a physician and the sled rides were done or the track at
Holloman AFB, New Mexico.

If you happen to be in or around Alamogordo, NM, pay a visit to the
Space Museum there. IIRC they also have exhibits about the rocket sleds.

AND you can try your hand at landing the Space Shuttle simulator.

Dan
5J

Old May 3rd 21, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Sun, 02 May 2021 16:54:52 -0600, Dan Marotta wrote:

AND you can try your hand at landing the Space Shuttle simulator.

I used to have a PC version of that: it started you at 55,000 ft and some
highish subsonic speed. You could fly it with a mouse and function keys
or use various degrees of automation up to letting it land automatically.

Curiosity: Is that the same version they use in the museum?

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old May 3rd 21, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob W.

On 5/2/21 2:39 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Sun, 02 May 2021 14:34:27 -0600, Dan Marotta wrote:

Tell that to these guys...

https://vimeo.com/292235615

Thanks for posting: I've known about Stapp's rocketrides (and their
close connection to MURPHY) but this the first film I've seen of
Stapp riding that sled.

And I hadn't known of Captain Beeding until that video (and associated
commentary) - "Ditto," the thanks for posting bit! I wonder if Captain
Beeding ever thought any/much about being born on an anniversary of the
Wright boys' world-changing achievement...
Old May 3rd 21, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

They had a stick mounted on a table top for control inputs and a basic
visual display. As a glider pilot I had no trouble landing it
repeatedly but completing an aileron roll on final never worked out.
Even with a big pitch up before beginning the roll, the slow roll rate
would allow the nose to drop too far to recover...

Dan
5J