Our first IFR cross-country trip: NY-MI-IL-MI-NY

Old July 14th 05, 07:28 PM
Peter Duniho

"Longworth" wrote in message
ups.com...
Trip to Michigan and Illinois, June 29 - July 4, 2005 Rick & Hai
Longworth

Thanks for the write-up. Fun to ride along vicariously.

One minor nit...

[...] It was very straightforward - overtop the
Cory NDB and outbound to a procedure turn then almost straight in to
the NDB just short of the runway, MAP = 2400 feet.

and...

[...] Checking the Jamestown ATIS for and altimeter setting, we heard
"ceiling 500"! I glanced back at the NDB approach on my lapboard.
MAP 653 feet!

I believe you meant to write "MDA" rather than "MAP". The "missed approach
point" is a particular point along the approach, and is where you initiate
your missed approach procedure if you are not in a position to land.

The "minimum descent altitude" is the lowest altitude you may descend to
while flying a non-precision approach. You may or may not be at the MDA
when arriving at the MAP, but you'll still be required to initiate your
missed approach procedure even if higher than the MDA. Likewise, you may
wind up descending to the MDA well before arriving at the MAP.

On a precision approach, the MAP is defined as an altitude, but that
altitude is called the "decision height", not the MDA.

Pete

Old July 14th 05, 08:22 PM

Pete,
You are right. It was a typo. Rick meant MDA not MAP.

Hai

Old July 14th 05, 10:10 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Longworth" wrote in message
oups.com...

That was what I thought until the ATC admonished us for turning too soon.

Well, if you were actually cleared direct to WEARD and not via the Dutchess
Four Departure then you didn't turn too soon and ATC was wrong to admonish
you.

Old July 14th 05, 10:22 PM
Mark R.

Great report, Rick, Thanks. As a slightly pre-solo student who intends
to pursue an IFR rating next, this was a great introduction to what I
can expect.

Longworth wrote:
Trip to Michigan and Illinois, June 29 - July 4, 2005 Rick & Hai
Longworth
*snip*

Old July 15th 05, 02:53 PM

Longworth wrote:
Trip to Michigan and Illinois, June 29 - July 4, 2005 Rick & Hai
Longworth

she decided to call them speed bumps. I became a little anxious when
Detroit had not addressed us for 10 minutes or so. I wanted to be sure
we were not forgotten so I requested to be back on track for Muskegon.
The controller, with as much patience as he could muster, replied that
that was what he intended. "Yes sir", I said, realizing I had been
a bit foolish to think he had actually dropped an IFR flight plan on
the floor. I felt like a real novice, to put it mildly!

I've had controllers send me on a vector and then forget I was there.
It never hurts to ask.

Localizer, Hai slowed to 90 knots to give herself plenty of time to
relax and mentally prepare for the approach. Muskegon came back with a
request for "at least 110 knots". Hai quickly added power, and
with the descent angle still in, we shot up to 110 knots, then 130
knots, then 140 knots!

I fly out of a very busy reliver airport full of jet traffic. When
asked I will keep cruise speed up to the FAF, but then all bets are
off. If ceilings are 800' or more then I've got plenty of wiggle room
and I'll keep the speed up, but if it's low, I'll fly the speed that I
want to.

This is also pretty easy to manage in a 172 because you cruise at 100
and fly the ILS at 75 and you can lose 25 knots in under 30 seconds. If
you're in something like a Bo or Mooney then you may be looking to lose
50 knots and doing so will take more planning.

Bottom line is that it's ATC's job to keep the G-V off your tail once
you're inside the approach gate.

Best,
-cwk.

Old July 15th 05, 04:20 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message
oups.com...

I fly out of a very busy reliver airport full of jet traffic. When
asked I will keep cruise speed up to the FAF, but then all bets are
off. If ceilings are 800' or more then I've got plenty of wiggle room
and I'll keep the speed up, but if it's low, I'll fly the speed that I
want to.

This is also pretty easy to manage in a 172 because you cruise at 100
and fly the ILS at 75 and you can lose 25 knots in under 30 seconds. If
you're in something like a Bo or Mooney then you may be looking to lose
50 knots and doing so will take more planning.

Bottom line is that it's ATC's job to keep the G-V off your tail once
you're inside the approach gate.

A sure way to do that is to put you behind the G-V.

Old July 15th 05, 08:12 PM

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

I fly out of a very busy reliver airport full of jet traffic. When
asked I will keep cruise speed up to the FAF, but then all bets are
off. If ceilings are 800' or more then I've got plenty of wiggle room
and I'll keep the speed up, but if it's low, I'll fly the speed that I
want to.

This is also pretty easy to manage in a 172 because you cruise at 100
and fly the ILS at 75 and you can lose 25 knots in under 30 seconds. If
you're in something like a Bo or Mooney then you may be looking to lose
50 knots and doing so will take more planning.

Bottom line is that it's ATC's job to keep the G-V off your tail once
you're inside the approach gate.

A sure way to do that is to put you behind the G-V.

Yup. At my home field there's plenty of times I've gotten vectored
around "while we land a few jets." Cost of doing business.

Cross country to Canada JJS Piloting 40 May 18th 05 02:03 AM
Cross country in the 1-34 mat Redsell Soaring 3 October 22nd 04 04:56 PM
Cross Country the main focus of soaring? mat Redsell Soaring 77 October 18th 04 10:40 PM
US cross country flight S Narayan Instrument Flight Rules 0 January 7th 04 02:58 PM
US cross country flight S Narayan Piloting 0 January 7th 04 02:58 PM