$640.00 to fill the tanks...

Old August 19th 06, 07:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_1_]

Default POL $640.00 to fill the tanks...

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 18:28:46 GMT, Jose wrote:

I also think privacy is in danger from the likes of Sony and their
rootkits, unencrypted data tapes on UPS trucks, and the who-knows-what
that comes through the DSL line.

add to that that the European (central?) bank is discussing to add RFID
tags on our EURO currency (notes only, not on coins, of course).

#m
--
Did you ever realize how much text fits in eighty columns? If you now consider
that a signature usually consists of up to four lines, this gives you enough
Old August 19th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Beckman

"Jose" wrote in message
t...
He must be; around most Wal-Marts, there's an influx of boutique stores
and ancillary shops such as theaters, restaurants, etc.

Little comfort if you are a hardware store, a lumberyard, or another store
with which WalMart competes.

Jose

Lowes and Home Depot dont' seem to be hurting.

Newest housing area being built SE of Phoenix: A Lowes and a Home Depot
built brand new right across the street from each other...and both parking
lots packed.

Oh, and there is a Wall Mart about two miles to the north ...

Whatever...

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ

Old August 19th 06, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Lowes and Home Depot dont' seem to be hurting.

Newest housing area being built SE of Phoenix: A Lowes and a Home Depot
built brand new right across the street from each other...and both parking
lots packed.

Oh, and there is a Wall Mart about two miles to the north ...

How healthy are all the little shops on Main Street?

It's not that Lowes and Home Depot and WalMart hurt each other, it is
that they impact the small stores that would otherwise sell the same
merchandise (more expensively because they can't get the bulk deals).
And it's not a matter of "protecting the little stores"; that's not at
all what I am advocating. (Actually I'm not advocating anything).
Rather, it is an example of the ability of the customer to influence the
retailer.

The customer can easily influence a Main Street retailer, because one
customer is important to them. There is almost no chance that a single
customer can influence a big box store. It's "take it or leave it, but
it won't change". That is the equality (or lack of it) between retailer
and customer that I am addressing. Unrestrained capitalism is "fair"
when such equality exists. The retailers have the advantage when it
does not.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old August 19th 06, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Jose wrote:
A lumberyard? Have you ever been to a Wal Mart?

Sorry. I was thinking Home Depot. Other examples would apply though.

No they don't. Wal Mart does not put well run, efficient businesses out
of business.
Old August 19th 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Jay Beckman wrote:

A Lowes and a Home Depot
built brand new right across the street from each other

You see that everywhere you go. These two are attracted to each other
like nothing I've ever seen.

Old August 19th 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Don Tuite

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 12:24:43 -0600, Newps wrote:

Jose wrote:
A lumberyard? Have you ever been to a Wal Mart?

Sorry. I was thinking Home Depot. Other examples would apply though.

No they don't. Wal Mart does not put well run, efficient businesses out
of business.

I've heard that they overbuy from small suppliers, squeeze the margins
out of them with promises of large volumes,thereby limiting those
suppliers to a single customer, bankrupt them and take over the
assets. I don't have any first-hand verification, though. Fifty years
ago, the same stories were told about Sears Roebuck.

There is the potential to do that. The little guy wouldn't be able to
compete because he couldn't get the stock.

Don
Old August 20th 06, 06:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 11:48:25 -0500, "Gig 601XL Builder"
wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote:

"Jose" wrote in message
. com...

How is this =really= different from WalMart jumping in and crushing all
the local stores? Think for a moment.

It is plain and simple communism. The people (read government) owns the
means of production.

Communism is an economic system, not a governmental system.
Theoretically In Communism the wealth is shared equally among the
people. However Communism (read commune ism) has only been able to
sorta work under a totalitarian system.

City owned convention centers are certainly nothing new. OTOH when
they start getting into business such as hotels and stores which are
in direct competition with businesses they may be running afoul of
state and federal laws. It's going to take someone with more
knowledge of the laws than I have to figure that one out.

On the other hand, Wal-Mart was a little company that got big because it
provided something the buying public wanted. It did not start out the giant
that it is today.

Which is a prime example of Capitalism. Unfortunately when companies
get too big there are lots of downsides.

They provided what the public wanted and the small stores couldn't.
The public went for cheap and low price, then they complain about the
chains taking over the market.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old August 20th 06, 06:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 13:52:29 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

How is this =really= different from WalMart jumping in and crushing all
the local stores? Think for a moment.

You've got to be kidding.

Don't forget that this is from a guy that thinks his privacy may be in
danger from the radio tags in products being sold today.

I wouldn't be too concerned about that. So the store could be able to
know when you purchased the underware you have on. I have little
concern about that, but I sure am concerned about the RFID tags in
pass ports. To any one with a reader they are like a big sign saying
"I'm from what ever country".

Oh, brother!

Old August 20th 06, 12:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_1_]

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 01:28:03 -0400, Roger wrote:

To any one with a reader they are like a big sign saying
"I'm from what ever country".

If you have nothing to hide .... :-)
and: it is for killer argument national security, protecting the
homeland.

#m
Old August 20th 06, 12:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
Martin Hotze wrote:

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 01:28:03 -0400, Roger wrote:

To any one with a reader they are like a big sign saying
"I'm from what ever country".

If you have nothing to hide .... :-)
and: it is for killer argument national security, protecting the
homeland.

and even better: it's impossible to forge.

no, really, it's got that electronic gizmo magic in it.

honest.

(-{

--
Bob Noel