Beware travelers with bratty kids

Old January 24th 07, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Default Beware travelers with bratty kids

Peter R. wrote:
On 1/24/2007 3:32:58 PM, "Jim Macklin" wrote:

They had a few minutes, airline departures are scheduled,
that delay for a screaming rug-rat brat, was costing more
money than you probably earn in a week, maybe even a month.

LOL. Pay attention kiddies: *This* is an example of how to use
exaggeration to underscore a point.

I don't know that it was that much of an exaggeration. First the total time
that the aircraft would have been delayed had they waited for the parents to
get the kid in the seat is an unknown.

But how many people missed connecting flights and how many more would have
had they waited longer.

The question is how long do you think they should have waited? 30 minutes,
an hour?

Old January 24th 07, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 1/24/2007 5:07:52 PM, John Theune wrote:

and how does this make it right?

It doesn't make it right, it just demonstrates that it happens. After flying
commercial for 10 years, I can attest that it happens all the time. How many
times have airlines held flights for a few passengers who were late
connecting? I have been on a number of flights where this was done, and the
delay was probably on average of 10 to 15 minutes.

--
Peter
Old January 24th 07, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Mxsmanic wrote:
george writes:

Our national carrier won't allow children to be seated anywhere close
to unrelated males....

Why?

Because they assume the male may be someone like you. You know, creepy.

Old January 24th 07, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 1/24/2007 5:16:30 PM, "Gig 601XL Builder" wrote:

But how many people missed connecting flights and how many more would have
had they waited longer.

I am only going on what was posted here. From that information I thought the
airline waited 15 minutes before tossing the parents and child, no? If so, no
connection would have been missed for a 15 minute delay.

In any event, I don't necessarily agree that the aircraft should have been
held any longer than it was, either. However, I am getting a kick out of all
of these macho "I will stuff a dirty diaper in your kid's mouth," "The
airlines loses more money than you make in a month," and "I just don't give a
**** about you" comments. Absolutely hilarious example of the anonymous
keyboard muscle syndrome.

--
Peter
Old January 24th 07, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Cost per hour for a USAir flight is [a guess] $3,000, so
that kid and her parents cost the airline $750, more than
the cost of the ticket they had purchased and they got a
full refund and an offer of another trip.

Total cost of the lost time, unknown.

Old January 24th 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

I use my real name, and just how much do you make in a week?

Old January 24th 07, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Mxsmanic wrote:
Peter R. writes:

I'd say that was a case where two people were allowed to
significantly delay the lives of about 100 others.

If you fire them, they won't be a problem again.

And what would you fire them for? Not having personal access to a wormhole?

Old January 24th 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 1/24/2007 5:41:08 PM, "Jim Macklin" wrote:

Cost per hour for a USAir flight is [a guess] $3,000, so
that kid and her parents cost the airline $750, more than
the cost of the ticket they had purchased and they got a
full refund and an offer of another trip.

Are you claiming that it costs the airline $3,000 per hour (a guess) per
aircraft while that aircraft is sitting at a gate with the engines off and an
APU connected?

--
Peter
Old January 24th 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Gig 601XL Builder writes:

Because they assume the male may be someone like you. You know, creepy.

Why do they make this assumption?

Old January 24th 07, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Peter R. writes:

Are you claiming that it costs the airline $3,000 per hour (a guess) per
aircraft while that aircraft is sitting at a gate with the engines off and an
APU connected?

It can, yes. There are many indirect and substantial costs connected
with an aircraft sitting on the ground. An aircraft at the gate is
costing the airline a lot of money, and it's not generating any
revenue.