PDA: Which one and what software?

Old May 22nd 06, 01:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Which one and what software?

Newps,

Then you're doing something wrong. On long cross countries I pretty
much sit there, and I don't have an autopilot.

Concur.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old May 22nd 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default PDA: Which one and what software?

"Thomas Borchert" wrote

Actually, for that money, you want a brand-new Lowrance Airmap 600c
with a fast processor, high resolution and 16-channels, not an ancient
295. It's called progress ;-)

As long as you feel comfortable that Lowrance is not going to declare it
obsolete, and stop all support, (making it a paperweight) then that may be
true. I have a long memory, when it comes to things like that.
--
Jim in NC

Old May 22nd 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Paul Tomblin" wrote

Up until Saturday when somebody tried to teach me how to ride a
motorcycle, I used a Palm Treo as my phone and PDA, and it was great to be
able to use it to check weather and see radar pictures and satellite maps
when I wasn't at home. I'm hoping my insurance covers a smashed and
slightly blood covered Treo because I really missed it on the flight home.

Ouch! What was it that tripped you up, riding the motorcycle? To me, it
seems like ridding a bicycle.

I hope you do get some insurance coverage on your Trio. Those things are
not cheap, if I recall correctly!
--
Jim in NC

Old May 22nd 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

My main purpose for the PDA is as a replacement to my hand address book
and also double as a flight planner,check-lists, emergency procedures,
etc. Not too interested in Nav. software, as I have a Garmin 195 with
a up-to-date database and serves my GPS needs.

One requirement though is the ability to plan my route and download it
to my Garmin 195

Old May 23rd 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In a previous article, "Morgans" said:
"Paul Tomblin" wrote
Up until Saturday when somebody tried to teach me how to ride a
motorcycle, I used a Palm Treo as my phone and PDA, and it was great to be
able to use it to check weather and see radar pictures and satellite maps
when I wasn't at home. I'm hoping my insurance covers a smashed and
slightly blood covered Treo because I really missed it on the flight home.

Ouch! What was it that tripped you up, riding the motorcycle? To me, it
seems like ridding a bicycle.

Switching to second, I don't think I released the throttle before I let
out the clutch. So I was going fast enough to hurt when it popped up and
I fell over.

I hope you do get some insurance coverage on your Trio. Those things are
not cheap, if I recall correctly!

It was $500 *with* a two year committment. The insurance company says
they'll replace it, but they're also cancelling my policy. So I think I'm
going to buy an Innopocket Aluminium Hard Case (as seen on
http://www.pdasmart.com/pdaphonetreo.htm).

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
....the default behaviour should be *not* to **** up.
Old May 23rd 06, 08:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Morgans,

I have a long memory, when it comes to things like that.

Then I guess you remember Garmin doing the same thing.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old May 23rd 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Does the treo also function as the GPS, or do you need to add a card to it?

"Jon" wrote in message
. ..
I am using co-pilot for flight planning. Navaid.com to get waypoint

updates.
I am using Flightmaster (www.flight-master.com) for gps software on my

Treo
650. The 2 work together very nicely.Works very nice. Moving map, HSI,

lots
of neat features.

-Jonathan

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, said:
I am in the market for a PDA to help organize my life, dates, phone
numbers, addresses, emails, and also double as a electronic flight
computer and sort of a electronic flight bag type of thing.

My laptop is a Powerbook Mac and my desktop is a PC.

Should I go with a Palm pPilot (OS) or a Pocket PC? And which have
better software for aviation?

I've been using Palm PDAs for a long time. They work well with Mac OS,
Linux, and I'm told they even work with Windows although I'm fortunate
enough to have never tried. I use CoPilot (see my web site
http://xcski.com/~ptomblin/CoPilot for details) as an important part for
my flight planning - I put the flight plan into it so that I can enter

the
winds and have an accurate ETE, as well as being able to do the w&b and
just read the flight plan (in either US, Canadian or ICAO formats) off

the
screen.

Up until Saturday when somebody tried to teach me how to ride a
motorcycle, I used a Palm Treo as my phone and PDA, and it was great to

be
able to use it to check weather and see radar pictures and satellite

maps
when I wasn't at home. I'm hoping my insurance covers a smashed and
slightly blood covered Treo because I really missed it on the flight

home.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
It's not 'I don't do Windows', it's 'I know nothing about Windows,
and it generally explodes when I get near it'.
-- Matt McLeod

Old May 23rd 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In a previous article, "Steve Foley" said:
Does the treo also function as the GPS, or do you need to add a card to it?

The Treo 650 doesn't have a GPS. I have a Garmin 296 for use in the plane -
like I said, I mostly use CoPilot for planning and filing purposes. I'm
tempted to get a bluetooth GPS and FlightMaster as a backup, but I think
the Treo would be more suited for GeoCaching than flying.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Not that I'm annoyed at this particular bit of recto-plasmic sputum which

Old May 23rd 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Thomas Borchert wrote:

Morgans,

I have a long memory, when it comes to things like that.

Then I guess you remember Garmin doing the same thing.

With their GPS 90, everything newer than that is still supported.