GPS Advise

Old June 20th 05, 12:36 AM
Sam D. Thomas

Default GPS Advise

I just passed my check ride and earned my private ticket last week.
I'm now starting to do some extended cross country work and would like
some input as to GPS units. I have researched (3) units and would like
some "real-world" opinions as to features, usability and support.
Here are the units I'm looking at:

Gramin's GPSMap 296
AvMap's EKP-IV
Lowrance's AirMap 2000C

I believe that the GPSMap 296 has the most features and best support but
the screen is only 3.5".

The EKP-IV has a large 7" screen and has most of the features that
Garmin offers but it's Italian made and operates off of internal power
i.e. the 12V DC cigarette outlet inside the cockpit. Seeing that I still
rent airplanes, I will have to make sure the adapter in the cockpit is
working in order to use this unit. The EKP-IV offers a "Go-Pak" battery
device that gives you up to 2 hours use and has (6) batteries installs
for emergency power.

The AirMap 2000C has a 5" screen and offers most of the same features
the others do but is $500.00 cheaper. Like the EKP-IV, it operates off
the 12V, in-cockpit adapter and has emergency batteries for backup.

All the above units offer several mounting options and software /
hardware capabilities to meet various demands and requirements.

I'm looking for some feedback for owners or past owners that can give me
real world opinions and pro / cons.

Thanking you in advance.
Old June 20th 05, 02:04 AM
Darrel Toepfer

Sam D. Thomas wrote:

The AirMap 2000C has a 5" screen and offers most of the same features
the others do but is $500.00 cheaper. Like the EKP-IV, it operates off
the 12V, in-cockpit adapter and has emergency batteries for backup.

We've owned 2 1000's and the next one will be a 2000c. They work off of
14/28v as it has an internal regulator... Y

ou can find the Lowrance's even cheaper if you shop around a bit...