Luftwaffe fighter defence organisation

Old February 17th 04, 08:52 PM
Jakob Whitfield

Default Luftwaffe fighter defence organisation

Greetings all,

As the term paper for my Systems Engineering option, I want to do a
systems comparison between Fighter Command, the Jagdwaffe, and the
Nachtjagd C^3 systems. I've been able to find a loads on Fighter
Command, but precious little on the German side that gives command
structure and organisational data. Most of the references I've got
concentrate on the aircraft used, rather than C^3. Could anyone make
any useful suggestions for books, papers, journal articles etc. that I
could use to research this?

Cheers,

Jakob
Old February 17th 04, 11:41 PM
Krztalizer

Williamson Murray, "Strategy for defeat" - answers all of the questions you'd
have concerning LW command structures. Kammhuber's system for coordination of
night defensive assets is a marvelous case study in stress management. Your
boss, insane, your work force dies at a horrible rate, other people in your own
force structure want to see you hang AND you get to face thousands of allied
fighters and bombers. Gee, sign me up. :\ not...

v/r
Gordon
====(A+C====
USN SAR

Donate your memories - write a note on the back and send your old photos to a
reputable museum, don't take them with you when you're gone.

Old February 18th 04, 11:45 AM
Cub Driver

Could anyone make
any useful suggestions for books, papers, journal articles etc. that I
could use to research this?

The only one I know of in English is The Luftwaffe War Diaries (in
translation) by Cajus Bekker.

www.warbirdforum.com/bekker.htm

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old February 18th 04, 12:11 PM
The Enlightenment

"Jakob Whitfield" wrote in message
om...
Greetings all,

As the term paper for my Systems Engineering option, I want to do a
systems comparison between Fighter Command, the Jagdwaffe, and the
Nachtjagd C^3 systems. I've been able to find a loads on Fighter
Command, but precious little on the German side that gives command
structure and organisational data. Most of the references I've got
concentrate on the aircraft used, rather than C^3. Could anyone make
any useful suggestions for books, papers, journal articles etc. that

could use to research this?

Cheers,

Jakob

History of the German Night Fighter Force 1917-1945 by Gebhard Aders.
(Crecy Books) also published by Janes.

First Published in German in 1978 by Mortorbuch-Verlag, Stuttgart as
"Geschichte der Deutschen Nachtjag, 1917-1945"

The book covers technology, systems, tactics, history. A good effort
but I would like to have seen more detail.

There does appear to have been allied documentation of German radar
techniques and these histories are still around.

Old February 19th 04, 04:05 AM
Geoffrey Sinclair

Jakob Whitfield wrote in message . ..

As the term paper for my Systems Engineering option, I want to do a
systems comparison between Fighter Command, the Jagdwaffe, and the
Nachtjagd C^3 systems. I've been able to find a loads on Fighter
Command, but precious little on the German side that gives command
structure and organisational data. Most of the references I've got
concentrate on the aircraft used, rather than C^3. Could anyone make
any useful suggestions for books, papers, journal articles etc. that I
could use to research this?

Apart from the other books mentioned,

Day and Night Aerial Warfare over the Reich 1943-44 by
Generalleutenant Josef Schmid, he was in command at the time,
published in 1954.

Title: Fighting the bombers : the Luftwaffe's struggle against the Allied
bomber offensive / by Josef Kammhuber ... [et al.] ; edited by David
C. Isby. Publisher: London : Greenhill, 2003.

Title: Germany and the Second World War / edited by the Militärgeschichtliches
Forschungsamt (Research Institute for Military History).
Publisher/Date: Oxford : Clarendon Press ; New York : Oxford University Press,

The various articles on the air defences.

There would also be the post war interrogations.

Geoffrey Sinclair
Remove the nb for email.

Old February 19th 04, 04:06 AM
Joe Osman

Jakob Whitfield wrote:
Greetings all,

As the term paper for my Systems Engineering option, I want to do a
systems comparison between Fighter Command, the Jagdwaffe, and the
Nachtjagd C^3 systems. I've been able to find a loads on Fighter
Command, but precious little on the German side that gives command
structure and organisational data. Most of the references I've got
concentrate on the aircraft used, rather than C^3. Could anyone make
any useful suggestions for books, papers, journal articles etc. that I
could use to research this?

Cheers,

Jakob

Try "Air Defense of the Reich" by Major Thomas A. Benes, USMC availible
on-line through the Marine Corps University archives at
http://www.mcu.usmc.mil/MCRCweb/Arch...ch/Default.htm. Click on
"Research Papers" at the bottom of the page. On the next page click on
IRP CSC 87 on the right and enter "Reich" under "Enter the ISYS Plain
English query", then press search.

Joe

Old February 19th 04, 05:27 PM
Jakob Whitfield

Cheers all for the helpful suggestions; some I can easily find, for
others I think I may have to make a trip to St. Pancras...

Having looked at some of the suggestions, I'm still searching for a
diagram/description of the information flow in the defences.

E.g. Battle of Britain

Chain Home station - filter room - group control room - sector
airfield - friendlies vectored onto enemy a/c

(This is probably wrong, but the principle remains)

I know that originally Luftwaffe night fighters were tied to one
particular radar station: what, for instance was the chain of
information and command from the radar to the plane?

Thanks again,

Jakob
Old February 20th 04, 08:00 AM
Eunometic

(Jakob Whitfield) wrote in message . com...
Cheers all for the helpful suggestions; some I can easily find, for
others I think I may have to make a trip to St. Pancras...

Having looked at some of the suggestions, I'm still searching for a
diagram/description of the information flow in the defences.

E.g. Battle of Britain

Chain Home station - filter room - group control room - sector
airfield - friendlies vectored onto enemy a/c

(This is probably wrong, but the principle remains)

I know that originally Luftwaffe night fighters were tied to one
particular radar station: what, for instance was the chain of
information and command from the radar to the plane?

Thanks again,

Jakob

Early on the organisation didn't exist and Luftwaffe the Navy and Army
all controlled their own areas that did not integrate very well.

Kammhuber eventualy came up with a system (which he was never allowed
to build except for experiments) in which the whole of Germany was
integrated by TV run over cables.

In most cases fighter were directed by controllers siting in a cinema
like arrangment of chairs in front of a large vertical glass screen on
which markers were moved or points of light were moved manually to
represnt various types of contact or infomation form the various
sensors: Freya, Wurzburg, Jagdschloss, contact aircraft (primitve
AWACS type aircraft) and visual and accoiustic sightings.

Becuase of interference by British jamming of Audio the
Bernhard/Berhardine system tranmited a ticker tape style telemetary
over a jam resistan link. Bernhard/Bernhardine also provided highly
jam resistant naviagtional and position data to the nightfighters.
It came in quite late in the war.

Despite jaming the German anti-jaming methodus such as Wurzlaus (a
doppler style system) and other measures usually retained enough
performance to allow some interceptions albeit at such reduced range
the number of target for which their was enogh warning to intercept
was much reduced. The biggest problem was often not jamed radar but
an inability to communicate to the aircraft due to jamed voice;
someting which Bernhard/Bernhardine telemetary system solved. Also
becuase of the slow speed of the German aircraft they often couldn't
catch the bombers after being distracted by diversionary raids before
running out of fuel.

Bernhard/Bernhardine becuase of its navigational and telemetary
methods might have evolved towards a fully automatic controlled
interception if its telemetarty could be interfaced to a the
nighfighters autopilot and weapons firing computer.