Have a student question...

Old August 1st 12, 03:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert Barker

Default Have a student question...

Cessna 172SP. Mfg/Cert after 1998. As you know, there is no MEL for this
aircraft. VFR day flight. Nav/position lights. Say the bulb is out on the
starboard position light.

91.206 says nav/position lights are not mandatory for VFR day flight.

91.213(d) comes into play since there is no official MEL for this aircraft.

Can I fly this aircraft in VFR day flight? Do I need to placard the burned
out bulb?

It's questions like this that kept me out of the better schools... ;-)

Old August 1st 12, 04:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Doe

In article , cowboy_bob99
@hotmail.com, Robert Barker says...

Cessna 172SP. Mfg/Cert after 1998. As you know, there is no MEL for this
aircraft. VFR day flight. Nav/position lights. Say the bulb is out on the
starboard position light.

91.206 says nav/position lights are not mandatory for VFR day flight.

91.213(d) comes into play since there is no official MEL for this aircraft.

Can I fly this aircraft in VFR day flight? Do I need to placard the burned
out bulb?

It's questions like this that kept me out of the better schools... ;-)

I'm sure someone more knowledgable may know for sure, but the MEL
doesn't, AFAIK, cover things like basic nav lights.

To me, yes, you definately need working nav lights - and if you're
flying in a dense traffic area, turn on *all* your lights - landing
lights etc - if you're carring a Christmas tree, turn those lights on
too

--
Duncan.
Old August 1st 12, 05:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert Barker

This is not really a question of what you should do, but more of what the
FAA requires. Yes, I normally fly with it all on, but here in Colorado, it
really doesn't help much as it's so bright most of the time anyway (IFR is
when I take off from KAPA and can't see Long's Peak 65 miles to the north!).
And, yes, the MEL doesn't apply which is why 91.213(d) comes in.

Old August 1st 12, 05:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
Dave Doe wrote:

[...]

Nav lights are not required for day VFR. Some airplanes have no lights
at all.
Old August 13th 12, 09:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
MJ

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 20:11:56 -0600, Robert Barker wrote in
:

Do I need to placard the burned out bulb?

You need to replace it.
Old August 13th 12, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Tuesday, July 31, 2012 9:11:56 PM UTC-5, Robert Barker wrote:
Cessna 172SP. Mfg/Cert after 1998. As you know, there is no MEL for this aircraft. VFR day flight. Nav/position lights. Say the bulb is out on the starboard position light. 91.206 says nav/position lights are not mandatory for VFR day flight. 91.213(d) comes into play since there is no official MEL for this aircraft. Can I fly this aircraft in VFR day flight? Do I need to placard the burned out bulb? It's questions like this that kept me out of the better schools... ;-)

Robert,
Two things must be considered he the FARs, and the aircraft certification. There is no FAR that requires navigation lights for day VFR. As for the aircraft certification, look in the back of the POH. There you will see a list of items/equipment for the aircraft. If the item is marked mandatory/required, then you must have it. Otherwise, it's not required.

csel, cmel, cses, cfi-a, cfi-i, agi, igi