Oxygen

Old June 13th 21, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Oxygen

Working out details for a trip to NM. Mountain High seems to have a solid reputation but a fairly steep price compared to Aerox.

No joy on W&W or anywhere else. The MH system has some genuinely tantalizing figures of merit, just priced 300 bucks on the high side.

Any opinions? Better yet, anybody with a system to sell that might work?
Old June 14th 21, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

I took an Aerox system to 18,000 being careful to adjust flow rate to altitude. After landing I was so wiped out, I grounded myself for two days.

Promptly switched to MH. Once you get to around 18,000 and above , keep an eye on your pulse oximeter and VNE chart.

The book, Dancing with the Wind, has an excellent chapter on oxygen.
Old June 14th 21, 02:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Mocho

I've been using Mountain High systems since they came out- after using the manually adjusted Nelson system, which was taken over and improved by Patrick McLaughlin (Mountain High). Once Patrick patented and introduced the EDS system, I happily switched over and have been a dealer for MH since the early '90s. It is by far the best for what we do in soaring (or hang gliding, or paragliding). Any manually adjusted system requires constant monitoring to make sure you are receiving sufficient oxygen for the altitude you are experiencing. The easiest method is to just set it for the highest altitude you reach and leave it alone. Sure, you are wasting a bit of O2 when you are low, but you don't have to worry if you set it to (say) 12,000 ft. MSL and forget to adjust it as you climb to 17,000. A few years ago (while bored) I went back through my flight logs for one season and discovered that I got 145 hours of flight, and was above 10,000 ft. MSL for 136 of those hours.. With that much need for supplemental oxygen, it is a relief to not have to devote ANY time or effort to continually readjust the flow. And I don't have to wear a cannula that looks like part of a weird Halloween costume.

I now set my EDS to start delivering O2 at all altitudes (even on the ground). At my age, the extra hit of "brain gas" has helped me during the launch, tow and initial climb. I am undoubtedly safer if I start on O2 prior to the flight, and I have lived at 5,000 ft. MSL for my entire life. If you come from sea level, and rarely hit 10,000 ft. MSL during your flights, you NEED O2, and you MUST be completely comfortable with the proper use of your delivery system. This is NOT a place to go "cheap." It is, after all, your brain.

If you are not familiar with, and confident using supplemental oxygen, my advice is to spend the money on the best system. I guarantee you will be able to sell it for nearly what you paid for it. Flying out of Moriarty in the summer is very demanding, and improper use of an inadequate oxygen system is dangerous. And sometimes annoying to other pilots. I have heard some really bad singing on 123.3 by hypoxic pilots who are just a few minutes away from tunnel vision and unconsciousness.
Old June 14th 21, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 9:04:15 PM UTC-4, Mark Mocho wrote:
[...]

I can only second Mark's comments! I used to fly with an old military 8A8 system, which I had overhauled and 'yellow-tagged'. One had to constantly adjust the flow gauge to match the altitude. I now have the EDS for a two-seater installed and never looked back. Turn it on and it does the rest automatically. It even warns you, if you have not been inhaling through your nose, like when the cannula slips or shifts away from your nose unnoticed.
Spend the money - your life may depend on it.

Uli
'AS'
Old June 14th 21, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matthew Scutter[_2_]

On Monday, 14 June 2021 at 8:37:26 am UTC+10, wrote:
Working out details for a trip to NM. Mountain High seems to have a solid reputation but a fairly steep price compared to Aerox.

No joy on W&W or anywhere else. The MH system has some genuinely tantalizing figures of merit, just priced 300 bucks on the high side.

Any opinions? Better yet, anybody with a system to sell that might work?

The MH system is brilliant and you'll save money in the long run from less oxygen refills due to the higher efficiency. Actually that's not true, it's so easy and reliable that I fly most flights with cloudbase 5000ft with it on and burn through more than I would otherwise. Brain-cells for free.
Old June 14th 21, 04:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 3:37:26 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Working out details for a trip to NM. Mountain High seems to have a solid reputation but a fairly steep price compared to Aerox.

No joy on W&W or anywhere else. The MH system has some genuinely tantalizing figures of merit, just priced 300 bucks on the high side.

Any opinions? Better yet, anybody with a system to sell that might work?

Mountain High is the best.

http://www.craggyaero.com/edssystem1.htm

Richard,
Old June 14th 21, 11:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_7_]

On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 11:51:43 PM UTC-4, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 3:37:26 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Working out details for a trip to NM. Mountain High seems to have a solid reputation but a fairly steep price compared to Aerox.

No joy on W&W or anywhere else. The MH system has some genuinely tantalizing figures of merit, just priced 300 bucks on the high side.

Any opinions? Better yet, anybody with a system to sell that might work?

Mountain High is the best.

http://www.craggyaero.com/edssystem1.htm

Richard,

Mark, I don't understand stand your comment about not having to wear a cannula - you'd rather wear a mask? And EDS doesn't allow cannulas?
Old June 14th 21, 12:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 6:27:06 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 11:51:43 PM UTC-4, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 3:37:26 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Working out details for a trip to NM. Mountain High seems to have a solid reputation but a fairly steep price compared to Aerox.

No joy on W&W or anywhere else. The MH system has some genuinely tantalizing figures of merit, just priced 300 bucks on the high side.

Any opinions? Better yet, anybody with a system to sell that might work?

Mountain High is the best.

http://www.craggyaero.com/edssystem1.htm

Richard,

Mark, I don't understand stand your comment about not having to wear a cannula - you'd rather wear a mask? And EDS doesn't allow cannulas?

I believe he refers to the oxy-saver "moustache" style cannula; I flew with those with an aerox system, and the EDS type is much more comfortable (and possibly stylish). I bought 2 MH older D1a's on ebay for $250, so keep an eye out there (sold one to pay for both). They don't refurbish them anymore, but they work if you watch them with a cheap pulse oximeter (~$20 at walmart). MH has a closeout/refurb section, for newer and occasionally a D1a system. I use mine for a mountain soaring camp annually, and MH products are worth the money (I flew in CO for 5 years with constant flow, and wish I'd upgraded to MH then (saves a lot of oxygen, aural warnings, works great). The second-hand market for MH pulse demand systems is pretty strong when you want to sell.
Old June 14th 21, 12:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Mocho

Mark, I don't understand stand your comment about not having to wear a cannula - you'd rather wear a mask? And EDS doesn't allow cannulas?

Dan is correct- I was referring to the Oximizer "mustache" cannula that looks like a large flesh colored growth on your upper lip. They help conserve O2 with a properly calibrated manual flow valve and a constant flow system, but the more efficient EDS uses a normal cannula. NOTE: Do NOT use the Oximizer cannula with the EDS! It will not reliably trigger the pressure transducers in the EDS and you will not receive sufficient O2.
Old June 14th 21, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Guy Acheson[_2_]

The money you will save on oxygen refills using the EDS will pay for the unit.
Ditto on leaving the unit on automatic and use it from take-off to landing.
It was very impressive to experience how much more alert I felt at the end of a long day of flying when I used the EDS as compared to the old manual systems.
Consider the EDS to be an airbag system for your brain.

Ka-6 Oxygen Peter von Tresckow Soaring 3 January 4th 12 04:42 AM
Oxygen Jim[_18_] Soaring 5 September 28th 11 11:59 PM
SZD-55 and oxygen David Pye[_2_] Soaring 1 February 27th 07 05:56 PM
Do you always have oxygen? Mxsmanic Piloting 32 November 18th 06 11:30 PM
hi alt oxygen Arquebus257WeaMag Military Aviation 62 March 28th 04 04:57 PM