Bad omens...

Old October 31st 03, 09:48 PM
Ben Jackson

Default Bad omens...

While I was on the phone with my CFII discussing whether we wanted
to try to fly in this weather (typical metar from the past 2 days:
KHIO 311953Z 08012G20KT 10SM CLR 06/M10 A3024 RMK AO2 PK WND 10027/1902)
I heard a loud thump from one of my dining room windows. My wife
spotted the dead bird neatly arranged on a paving stone behind the
house.

Must not be a good day to fly...

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old November 1st 03, 03:32 AM
BTIZ

you spend to much time washing windows.. and not flying.. the window was to
clean.. reflected some tree the bird was thinking it could fly to.. and got
surprised by the glass..

either that or it was a drunk bird.. I had a bird do the same thing.. but I
had a Russian olive tree that was next to the house.. and they were very
ripe.. he flew into the reflected tree and not the real one..

he laid dizzy on the deck for about 30minutes before he even attempted to
walk.. let alone fly..

BT

Old November 1st 03, 04:19 AM
Brian Burger

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, Ben Jackson wrote:

While I was on the phone with my CFII discussing whether we wanted
to try to fly in this weather (typical metar from the past 2 days:
KHIO 311953Z 08012G20KT 10SM CLR 06/M10 A3024 RMK AO2 PK WND 10027/1902)
I heard a loud thump from one of my dining room windows. My wife
spotted the dead bird neatly arranged on a paving stone behind the
house.

Must not be a good day to fly...

Another CFIT accident to blame on the weather... :

Brian.
Old November 1st 03, 08:29 AM
C J Campbell

"Ben Jackson" wrote in message
| While I was on the phone with my CFII discussing whether we wanted
| to try to fly in this weather (typical metar from the past 2 days:
| KHIO 311953Z 08012G20KT 10SM CLR 06/M10 A3024 RMK AO2 PK WND 10027/1902)
| I heard a loud thump from one of my dining room windows. My wife
| spotted the dead bird neatly arranged on a paving stone behind the
| house.
|
| Must not be a good day to fly...

A flight instructor down in Reno that I knew used to feed pigeons and doves
on the patio outside his sliding glass door. A big hawk sat on a nearby
telephone wire for a day watching the whole thing.

Next day the hawk came back and all the other birds fled. The hawk just sat
quietly on the wire and after awhile the birds came back. Then the hawk
glided quietly down. Just before reaching the birds he let out a
blood-curdling shriek, causing all the pigeons and doves to fly up and smash
into the glass door. The hawk picked a couple of them up and carried them
off. He came back every day until my friend stopped feeding the birds there.

Old November 1st 03, 05:03 PM
BTIZ

and who said birds are stupid...

Old November 1st 03, 07:34 PM
G.R. Patterson III

BTIZ wrote:

and who said birds are stupid...

Well, the ones being eaten didn't display a high degree of intelligence.

George Patterson
You can dress a hog in a tuxedo, but he still wants to roll in the mud.
Old November 1st 03, 07:36 PM
G.R. Patterson III

C J Campbell wrote:

He came back every day until my friend stopped feeding the birds there.

I live near one of the hawk migration routes. I call the feeders that I have
to fill up my "bird food feeders". Usually the bird food manages to escape from
the hawks, though.