Air Force Working to Combat Stressors

Old September 18th 04, 03:54 AM
Otis Willie

Default Air Force Working to Combat Stressors

Air Force Working to Combat Stressors

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Sep2...004091709.html.

{EXCERPT} By Jim Garamone American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, Sept. 17, 2004 -- The global war on terrorism is placing
many stresses on the U.S. Air Force, but the servicemembers are
responding well to those stresses and the leadership is working to
alleviate them.

Chief Master Sgt. of the Air Force Gerald R. Murray -- the service's
highest- ranking enlisted person -- said there are more than 29,000
airmen deployed around the world today.

Air Force productivity rates are the highest they have ever been, the
chief said in a Pentagon Channel and American Forces Press Service
interview for the Air Force's 57th birthday on Sept. 18.

Yet, stress happens. The Air Force is a critical member of the joint
military team, Murray said. In addition to the normal stresses of
maintaining aircraft and all the other operations entailed in arming
them, manning them and putting them in the air, the United States is
at war. Aircrews are facing the enemy in Southwest Asia. Other
aircrews are hauling critical supplies to the war fronts. Still other
aircrews are maintaining vigilance in the homeland.

The Air Force is also working as a member of the joint military team
in many non-traditional ways, Murray said. More than 2,000 airmen, for
example, are working in Army taskings in Southwest Asia. Air Force
truck drivers and military police are convoying supplies into Iraq.
Air Force engineers are working hand-in-glove with their Army and Navy
compatriots. And air operations around the world are not only
completely joint, but are also flown with allies.

These missions not only place stresses on the airmen involved, but
also the families at home. Air Force leaders are working to stay ahead
of any problems the stressors might create.

Other changes that also cause stress are more mundane. The Air Force
is fielding a new uniform. The service is changing its
physical-training requirements. And the Air Force is shaping itself as
it faces the new challenges of the 21st century. "As we change our
culture, that creates some stress in our force today," Murray said.

The Air Force is trimming down and reshaping the force. Some airmen
have to retrain into other Air Force specialties in order to stay in
the service. "There's some unpredictability out there," Murray said.
"Those all contribute to the stress today that has given us some
indicators, like an increased suicide rate, that has us alarmed."

The Air Force is confronting these stressors head on. Murray said that
"face- to-face leadership" by young sergeants is key to helping
airmen. "This operations tempo is not going to subside any time soon,"
he said. "It must be that we continue to look for ways to cope with
it, because that's what's given to us on our watch.

"We take that, try to understand it, we take and make sure we
communicate with our people and get to the point where we do not fail
to care for each and every airmen we have."

The chief said the service is looking at the basics. The service was a
groundbreaker in efforts to prevent suicide and plans to re-examine
its suicide-prevention program to see that it still meets the needs of
the Air Force. If it does not, the service will change it so it does,
Murray said.

The same is true of efforts to bolster military family members,
daycare offerings and quality-of-life initiatives for single airmen
and those deployed overseas.

"We're looking back to basics in training," he said "Next month we'll
have our 20th basic training review. We ask ourselves, 'What is
required of today's force? Does our basic military training meet those
needs?' (and) take that through technical training and the operations
as we move our airmen into the force."

The chief said the service wants to ensure support programs are
well-grounded. "It's not creating new programs," he said. "We are so
good at what we do. Our airmen are incredible in the way that they
focus themselves on the mission and capabilities that they have. We do
look after our people well, but at the same time, we can't rest on
that. We must continue to look for ways to be better."

Murray said the Air Force today is the best he has seen since he
joined the service in 1977. "What drives a young man or woman from
America to come and volunteer and serve today in a time of war?" he
asked. "I see a commitment out of our airmen … today that is just
incredible. Some are saying this is the new 'greatest generation.'
History will decide that. I'll tell you I see a commitment out of our
airmen today that is unlike it was when I came into the service, and
it's great to see."

Biography: Chief Master Sgt. of the Air Force Gerald R. Murray [

http://www.af.mil/bios/bio.asp?bioID=6561 spacer type=vertical size=5

Related Site: U.S. Air Force [

http://www.af.mil/ spacer type=vertical size=5

Related Articles: Chairman's Birthday Message to the U.S. Air Force
[/news/Sep2004/n09172004_2004091708.html Leadership, Compelling
Mission Keep Air Force Strength High
[/news/Sep2004/n09172004_2004091702.html War on Terror Testing,
Reinforcing Air Force Concepts
[/news/Sep2004/n09162004_2004091612.html Air Force Chief Sounds Off as
Service Birthday Approaches [/news/Sep2004/n09162004_2004091608.html
Iraq Jamming Incident Underscores Lessons about Space
[/news/Sep2004/n09152004_2004091510.html spacer type=vertical size=5

NOTE: View the original version of this web page on DefenseLINK, the
official website of the U.S. Department of Defense, at

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Sep2...004091709.html.

Otis Willie
Associate Librarian
The American War Library