Iroquois 73-21763

Old July 8th 03, 02:24 PM
Darryl Gibbs

Default Iroquois 73-21763

Hi everyone.

The Dandenong RSL has acquired an Iroquois from the USA which has now
arrived in Australia and which will soon be mounted on a display pole.

It is 73-21763, construction number 13451.

Can anyone help out with any history of this aircraft or even photographs of
it when in service?

Maybe someone reading the list may have even been a crew member or worked on
it?

Hope some of you can help out.

Catch you later.

Darryl Gibbs.

Old July 8th 03, 07:55 PM
me

Hey Darryl

Dave Follett here with Air Heritage Aircraft Museum in the
states. Ok I'm an old huey guy from Vietnam and now secretary of Air
Heritage. Go to this webpage

http://www.vhpa.org/

then scroll down and click on CONTACTS and send them an e mail. One
of their people has been putting a data base together on all army
copters for years they will forward it to him.

Or go to

http://www.redstone.army.mil/history/

Redstone Arsenal is where all Army aircraft records are kept, see if
you can find an e mail address and drop them a line.

I can tell you this, 73-21763 tail or serial nummber, the
first two digits the 73 is the year that airplanes contract was signed
by the US Gov and Bell. I have seen 60-15430 on hueys. So I can feel
pretty sure that your airplane was made in mid 74.

Good luck hope this helps

David B Follett
Sec Air Heritage Inc
Visit us on the web at http://trfn.clpgh.org/ah

Old July 9th 03, 12:10 PM
The Raven

"Darryl Gibbs" wrote in message
Hi everyone.

The Dandenong RSL has acquired an Iroquois from the USA which has now
arrived in Australia and which will soon be mounted on a display pole.

Would it be possible to put it in a sheltered display? It would be a shame
to expose it to weather and vandals.

It is 73-21763, construction number 13451.

Can anyone help out with any history of this aircraft or even photographs

of
it when in service?

Maybe someone reading the list may have even been a crew member or worked

on
it?

If you want advice on how to protect it there are some very good "warbird"
people at Moorabin airport. Email me privately for details, if they can't
help they'll know people who can.

Hope some of you can help out.

PS. Nowra put it's UH-1 on a very tall pole with spiked "anti-climb
devices". Canopy was painted white to protect it...somewhat.

--
The Raven
http://www.80scartoons.co.uk/batfinkquote.mp3

Old July 9th 03, 12:13 PM
The Raven

"Richard Lamb" wrote in message
Dunno that particular bird, Darryl, but in general, the bird is
referred to as a Huey.

NObody uses the Iroquois moniker.

Not meaning to sound like a smart-a** but the Australian Defence Force tend
to use the proper names for the UH-1, which was Iroquios.

It's kinda like calling in a "copter".

Iroquoist it the correct nomenclature, as in the AH-64 being an Apache.