Place to post pix of our steeds...?

Old July 24th 03, 03:12 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Place to post pix of our steeds...?

Hey folks,

I've been sitting here thinking about our upcoming get together in OSH, and
I realized that not only don't we know what each other looks like, but --
worse! -- we don't know what each other's planes look like!

This seems to be a major failing of this newsgroup, if you ask me. I mean,
who among us doesn't like to show off our airplanes? It seems to me we
should have a central page for this purpose, no?

Whatdya think of the idea of having a page of pix (Maybe on our website? Or
someone else's? I don't care who does it.) of our birds?

Would you guys submit a photo of your plane for such an endeavor?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 24th 03, 03:47 PM
Robert A. Barker

Jay Honeck wrote in message 9PRTa.136898$H17.46405@sccrnsc02...
Hey folks,

I've been sitting here thinking about our upcoming get together in OSH, and
I realized that not only don't we know what each other looks like, but --
worse! -- we don't know what each other's planes look like!

This seems to be a major failing of this newsgroup, if you ask me. I mean,
who among us doesn't like to show off our airplanes? It seems to me we
should have a central page for this purpose, no?

Whatdya think of the idea of having a page of pix (Maybe on our website?

Or
someone else's? I don't care who does it.) of our birds?

Would you guys submit a photo of your plane for such an endeavor?
--

I would.Sounds like a neat idea.

Bob Barker N8749S

Old July 24th 03, 04:17 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Jay Honeck" said:
Whatdya think of the idea of having a page of pix (Maybe on our website? Or
someone else's? I don't care who does it.) of our birds?

I did that for the members of the Piper mailing list. You can see the
results at http://xcski.com/gallery/piper/ Anybody on that mailing list
is given the userid and password so that they can post their own pictures,
or make a sub-album. It seems to be pretty popular.

I don't know if I've got enough bandwidth to do hundreds of pictures, but
I could give it a try on the condition that I might have to shut it down.

--
Paul Tomblin , not speaking for anybody
Every program has two purposes -- one for which it was written and
Old July 24th 03, 04:50 PM
Jay Honeck

we already had this discussion here with something like a database for
the users here ...

Yeah, someone (Casey?) actually started down this road, with little
biographies and everything.

Unfortunately it was probably too grand a scheme to succeed. Even I didn't
want to spend THAT much time with it.

However, just a quick photo of your plane with a caption should be easy
enough to do. If I weren't such a doofus with webpages, I'd volunteer to do
it. (And, if I EVER get time to learn Dreamweaver, I still might.)

So, Paul, you want to try this? (I like your page for Cherokees!)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 24th 03, 06:12 PM
Aaron Coolidge

Jay Honeck wrote:
: Hey folks,

: I've been sitting here thinking about our upcoming get together in OSH, and
: I realized that not only don't we know what each other looks like, but --
: worse! -- we don't know what each other's planes look like!

Googling my tail number (N9376J) will show numerous pics of my plane,
courtesey of the previous owner.

My plane is also immortalized on gaservingamerica.com, as is my picture.

Plane is in the 360 degree view of the parking area, I'm in the 360 degree
view of the FBO interior - yellow shirt.

--
Aaron Coolidge (N9376J)

Old July 24th 03, 06:29 PM
Dave Butler

Aaron Coolidge wrote:

Googling my tail number (N9376J) will show numerous pics of my plane,
courtesey of the previous owner.

Heh. You made me curious. I googled for my tail number N1701D, but all I got was
a bunch of Star-Trek stuff.

Well, if you're looking for me at OSH, you can remember my tail number, it's the
same as the Enterprise. Look for the ugliest Mooney you've ever seen, tan and
brown with chipping paint. Next year at OSH, you can look for the *prettiest*
Mooney.

Dave

Old July 24th 03, 08:18 PM
Ron Natalie

"Dave Butler" wrote in message ...
Aaron Coolidge wrote:

Googling my tail number (N9376J) will show numerous pics of my plane,
courtesey of the previous owner.

Heh. You made me curious. I googled for my tail number N1701D, but all I got was
a bunch of Star-Trek stuff.

All I got was a 1971 NTSB report for my aircraft.

Old July 25th 03, 02:49 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Jay Honeck" said:
Whatdya think of the idea of having a page of pix (Maybe on our website? Or
someone else's? I don't care who does it.) of our birds?

Ok, I've created a gallery at http://xcski.com/gallery/recaviation/

Since this is just an experiment, I'd like to keep the number of people
using it down, so email me off-line for the userid and password so you can
add your pictures.

--
Paul Tomblin , not speaking for anybody
"American 999, Heathrow Approach. Descend and maintain 4,000 feet, QNH 1011."
Old July 25th 03, 03:29 AM
clyde woempner

Hi Jay, I have often wondered about the same thing. I look at other
newsgroups, tallships, motorcycles, aviation pictures, etc. just for the
photo's. But who ever set up this newsgroup decided no attachments. As you
know many people have there own website where they post pictures. I do that
myself, I post pictures I have taken of a family event, and then let all the
family members know, this way they can go to the site and pick out the
photo's they want. This also works good for my son-in-law who is in the
Navy overseas. He can get on line and go to the site for updated pictures
of the kids and family. This way I'm not spending all my time trying to
e-mail pictures to everyone in the family. My .02 cents worth
Clyde

Old July 25th 03, 07:37 AM
Javier Henderson

"Jay Honeck" writes:

Yep. I'll host the sucker, too. Jay, you volunteering to organize
this thing?

Dammit, Jav, I'm still bedeviled by my Frontpage glitch -- and I haven't had
time to learn Dreamweaver! I'd love to add this "rec.aviation" photos page
to the inn's webpage, but I'm still having troubles with links. (Which, by
the way, I've traced to a corruption in Windows Explorer. But that's
another thread...)

I'll be glad to "organize" it, but it sounds like Paul is perhaps taking
some baby-steps in that general direction?

Hey Paul, it sounds like Jav might have more bandwidth available -- which of
you guys want to host this little endeavor?

Bandwidth here is not a problem, so if it is for Paul, I will graciously
host the images (or the whole thing, either way).

-jav