A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Improved live tracking for the SSA membership?

Old April 5th 17, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith
external usenet poster

Default Improved live tracking for the SSA membership?

The SSA involvement in marketing the sport is abysmal. Fleet tracking systems are a mature product where the hardware and monitoring is 150.00 for Battery power unit, 25.00 a month for single user. That was the first place I talked to.

They could also be integrated to display on http://glideport.aero.

If each of the people who actually cared about this did a group buy through the SSA, the cost per unit would drop significantly, and the usage fee would as well.

To click on the SSA website and see an Active moving map of where all the flying is happening in real time would be a huge benefit.

Just my thoughts,

John
Old April 5th 17, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

If you want mandatory ADSB for sailplanes you are the enemy of soaring. If you want to figure out how to make soaring a TV sport learn from the masters. This is an X-Alps year. Quit your job, move to Austria. Beg Redbull media until they give you a job(or volunteer) working on the X-Alps. They won't put you in charge, it won't be glamorous, but Redbull has figured out how to do what you want. Observe them while fetching their coffee, return home apply the lessons to sailplanes. Easier than building new ASW-19s. Fame and fortune await.
On Wednesday, April 5, 2017 at 10:30:20 AM UTC-4, Sean Fidler wrote:
Gregg,

I dislike the idea of allowing the SSA to continue with the same stone age thinking that has created such a "thriving sport" for us here in the USA, at all levels. We are part of stagnant organization that suffers from almost no innovation. We are boring. Should we just continue on that path? Keep doing what the SSA good old boys tell us we should and shut up? Fortunately, this is definitely not a 1:9,999 issue...

As I have previously stated, Australia's "SSA" (the GFA) has a different attitude and has proven value for its members with a tracking investment. Europe, on the other hand, (again previously stated) developed a network of Flarm radar (2k per Flarm but I believe Flarm is mandatory in Europe). Would you prefer mandatory Flarm? The FAA wanted to enforce a mandatory ADSB requirement on gliders, something I strongly supported and continue to support. That was 3-4K but far more powerful as a safety solution.

What does the SSA really provide us? If you think the SSA protects us from the "evil FAA" trying to create a modern safety environment, good luck. The SSA should be in the business of marketing the sport of Soaring (not just to 60 year olds who have been part of it for their entire lives) and in the business of innovation. Improved tracking is one obvious opportunity for for later.

But yes, I'll be shocked if anything happens and fully expect it won't.

Old April 5th 17, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Why do you say SSA does not have a live tracking map?

You can click on a map on the SSA homepage and see where all the flying gliders are located worldwide. The only caveat is that the pilot flying the glider must use a tracking device or download the FREE phone app. To think that someone one will not use a free app will suddenly pay $150 plus subscription is crazy talk.

Sean had the opportunity to use 3 second tracking for free at his latest SGP but said he couldn't figure the app out. The other pilots got theirs working.

As a volunteer that has poured my heart and soul into providing a constant push for better tracking and free technical help to our members, it is pretty discouraging to be beat up on this way. I provided tech support for the SGP as did Pedja. Pedja developed our platform free of charge and provides free server time to us

All the member is required to do is download the app to their phone.

Sean advocates a system that uses dedicated boxes in each plane. Such a system excludes club fliers and those which choose not to compete in sanctioned contests. I advocate a system that is available to all glider pilots worldwide 24 hours a day.

Again, being told that SSA doesn't provide Tracking or that our Tracking is crap is pretty discouraging and makes me want to walk away. I don't see why every time Sean has an idea he has to tear down someone else. I can say that in person Sean is a fine gentleman and an asset to the sport. So someone must be stealing his RAS credentials.

Lane
Old April 5th 17, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith
external usenet poster

Lane,

Not trying to start a war, I apologize if I've offended you or your teams work. I see the potential for the tracking and I'd love to direct more people to the site to stream the live feeds. Each time I've gone on the SSA web site the tracking doesn't seem to work. I can click on a section of the map that is displaying a number in a upside down tear drop, and it pulls up that person, and nothing else happens. It loads a map that doesn't move, gauges that don't move and just a list of turn points. shrug. That's as recent as a few minutes ago. I have not found the Tracking Cell Phone App and I just checked Google Play. Which is why I looked up vehicle tracking.

I'll allow for me being a moron unable to use modern technology.

If I upload a IGC file to the AERO website, I can replay the file, which is awesome while I learn the sport.

John

Old April 5th 17, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

You can go directly to "GlidePort.Aero" and become a registered user. This will allow an "info" tab which explains most of the features. To see animation you must click the "play" button in the bottom right of the map screen. You can animate in real time or speed the action up as much as 15x I believe. Of course you'll have to slide the time cursor back to playback at a faster speed as the fast forward doesn't make the actual glider fly 1500 knots!

Myself and Pedja have written how to articles in Soaring but I don't know the months off hand. For the app, iPhone uses Glide Track. Im afraid to state the droid app off the Top of my head but I'm sure you can google Sailplane tracking in the App Store.

I agree we all want effort free Tracking live and in technicolor. I have people call sometimes asking why thier glider isn't showing up. It turns out they fly a 1-26 with a ball vario and no tracking device what so ever.
Come on guys. You have to put a little effort in to get some results! NBC is not going to climb in our gliders and provide live TV coverage of whatever flight you might be interested in at the moment. We have come a long way in four years and have a ways to go. But I can guarantee you that if you want to have Tracking you yourself will have to invest an hour or so learning the system. My parents call me terribly upset that their email icon has disappeared. It's usually a few inches away from the usual spot. Those type of frustrations I can not solve.

Lane
Old April 5th 17, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Droid app is IGCdroid.

There is a small one time fee for this app but you can try it for free.

Lane
Old April 5th 17, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, April 5, 2017 at 12:31:05 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Droid app is IGCdroid.

Lane

Am I the only one to suspect that our "multiple personalities man" Sean has split again? In addition to recruiting "Wilbur" to promote his position it's now "John Smith" who has been hired on an as-needed basis. This is all a bit too obvious and does not help your cause, my friend(s). Please grow up and spare us all the charade. And no, life tracking is not a priority for me to want the SSA to spend money on.
Herb
Old April 5th 17, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

The insanity of it all! If I've taken time to respond to three people who are actually one with three screen names I'm going to bury my head in my hands. None of us have time for such. Once again I'm deleting my RAS link. It just drives me crazy!!!

Those of us who are in this sport for relaxing fun just meet each other at the pub and dream of JS3's and such.

Lane
Old April 5th 17, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler
external usenet poster

Lane, please don't get me wrong, I think Glideport.aero is AWESOME! That said it probably needs some improvement. I think the SSA should be funding that and providing more value to its customers. Sadly, it's just not being used and this is due to the hardware.

Our issue is that the smartphone apps have reliability challenges and that the mobile network carrier limitations leave us significant holes in coverage, especially out west and/or higher altitude. The position of the phone in the glider is an issue as are quarks with various devices, etc. Even Florida last week, over the swamp, getting the mobile trackers to work well was a challenge. Yes, my Glidetrack app (iOS) still won't work and I have no idea why. I was able to help others, but mine was kaput.

I believe that the SSA has a golden opportunity (and responsibility) to do more for its members (see Gliding Federation Australia & other countries) in terms of tracking than they are doing now. So far, the SSA tracking story has been mainly Pedja and Lane's effort. It's been one of the best values of my SSA membership to be honest. But the SSA itself has not really put any real skin in the game (I don't believe Pedja or Lane are compensated). Perhaps I am mistaken. The SSA tends to follow the path of least resistance and zero cost when it comes to vision. See SSA website. Whatever the answer, the SSA needs to continue to invest in improving tracking.

To provide its members real value, the SSA should be making serious efforts to negotiate a service deal with Garmin/InReach. Better yet, the SSA could contract Pedja and Lane to build 500 Glideport.aero mobile tracker units, custom designed for our specific needs.. In either case, I fully believe Glideport.aero is a great display framework and works extremely well. But it all needs regular care and feeding, enhancement and real investment (skin). Nothing is free.

So, my concern is not Glideport.aero. My concern is that no existing tracker product which currently feeds Glideport.aero (Spot, InReach, mobile app, Flarm, others) 'tics all the boxes' and some come with moderately high ($40 per month) service/data costs. I'm also concerned about adoption. Most SSA contest managers don't even bother to load their daily tasks into Glideport.aero.

My goal (sadly, this should be the SSAs goal) is to find a consistent, reliable, simple to use, and affordable tracker for the entire SSA membership which is high fidelity enough to be enjoyable to follow on Glideport.aero. Contests, clubs, cross country flyers, etc.

Thanks Lane and Pedja for all you do and have done for Glideport.aero. I'm advocating for much more support, attention and investment in your great platform and ending the neglect that I feel your great platform is currently receiving.
Old April 5th 17, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, April 5, 2017 at 11:50:58 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On Wednesday, April 5, 2017 at 12:31:05 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Droid app is IGCdroid.

Lane

Am I the only one to suspect that our "multiple personalities man" Sean has split again? In addition to recruiting "Wilbur" to promote his position it's now "John Smith" who has been hired on an as-needed basis. This is all a bit too obvious and does not help your cause, my friend(s). Please grow up and spare us all the charade. And no, life tracking is not a priority for me to want the SSA to spend money on.
Herb

Herb,

No, John Smith is a current SSA member, not a figment nor nom de plume.

Frank Whiteley