Air Show - U-2/TR-1 tail and guard

Old May 31st 08, 04:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation,alt.binaries.pictures.military
PLMerite

Default Air Show - U-2/TR-1 tail and guard

Real gun, real bullets.

I'm still getting the hang of this digital photography thing, but it's
getting better.

Regards, PLMerite

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0642a1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	26206
Old May 31st 08, 05:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation,alt.binaries.pictures.military
muff528

"PLMerite" wrote in message

Real gun, real bullets.

Reminds me of the MacDill AirFest shortly after Desert Storm in the early
90's. They had a F-117 on display for the first time. It was encircled by a
rope barrier. About 10 ft. further out was another rope barrier creating a
"no-man's land" in which 4 or 5 armed guards were patrolling. My friend
squatted down to get a photo of the plane and as he aimed his camera his
elbows were hooked over the outer rope. A guard promptly walked over to my
friend and "gently" tapped one of his elbows with the butt of his rifle.
After my friend got over his initial embarrassment he finally agreed with my
brother and me that it was pretty funny.

TonyP.

Old May 31st 08, 05:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation,alt.binaries.pictures.military
PLMerite

"muff528" wrote in message

"PLMerite" wrote in message

Real gun, real bullets.

Reminds me of the MacDill AirFest shortly after Desert Storm in the early
90's. They had a F-117 on display for the first time. It was encircled by
a rope barrier. About 10 ft. further out was another rope barrier creating
a "no-man's land" in which 4 or 5 armed guards were patrolling. My friend
squatted down to get a photo of the plane and as he aimed his camera his
elbows were hooked over the outer rope. A guard promptly walked over to my
friend and "gently" tapped one of his elbows with the butt of his rifle.
After my friend got over his initial embarrassment he finally agreed with
my brother and me that it was pretty funny.

TonyP.

IIRC, last time I was at this air show in 2004 they had the 117 roped off
like that.

This year they didn't have any 117s at all. They had the F-35 roped off,
but I don't know if it had a chaperone or not. The JSTARS had a guard, too.

Regards, PLMerite

Old May 31st 08, 06:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation,alt.binaries.pictures.military
John Szalay

"PLMerite" wrote in

IIRC, last time I was at this air show in 2004 they had the 117 roped
off like that.

This year they didn't have any 117s at all. They had the F-35 roped
off, but I don't know if it had a chaperone or not. The JSTARS had a
guard, too.

Regards, PLMerite

The only time anyone may see an F-117 from now on, will be in a museum,
they've been retired.. dewinged and being stored in hangers at tonopah.

Old May 31st 08, 09:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation,alt.binaries.pictures.military
PLMerite

"John Szalay" wrote in message
42...
"PLMerite" wrote in

IIRC, last time I was at this air show in 2004 they had the 117 roped
off like that.

This year they didn't have any 117s at all. They had the F-35 roped
off, but I don't know if it had a chaperone or not. The JSTARS had a
guard, too.

Regards, PLMerite

The only time anyone may see an F-117 from now on, will be in a museum,
they've been retired.. dewinged and being stored in hangers at tonopah.

Well, that would explain it then! Now that you mention it, I do remember
them saying it was being retired.

I did get a good shot of them some years ago at the Desert Storm Victory
Celebration in DC. Well composed if not correctly exposed. Photoshop and I
are struggling with this one.

Regards, PLMerite

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F-117_001c1a1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	393.4 KB
ID:	26207
Old June 1st 08, 02:31 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation,alt.binaries.pictures.military
muff528

"John Szalay" wrote in message
42...
"PLMerite" wrote in

The only time anyone may see an F-117 from now on, will be in a museum,
they've been retired.. dewinged and being stored in hangers at tonopah.

Hey! I just realized that I've never seen one fly! Now I guess I never will.
:-(
I missed several opportunities to see fly-bys, etc. but I just assumed they
would always be around.....you know, like B-52's or T-37's.

Tony

Old June 1st 08, 03:32 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation,alt.binaries.pictures.military
John Szalay

"PLMerite" wrote in

Regards, PLMerite

begin 666 F-117_001c1a1.jpg

Attachment decoded: F-117_001c1a1.jpg
`
end

Interesting shot.. Thanks
Old June 6th 08, 06:15 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation,alt.binaries.pictures.military
Proton Fox

"muff528" wrote in

"PLMerite" wrote in message

Real gun, real bullets.

Reminds me of the MacDill AirFest shortly after Desert Storm in the
early 90's. They had a F-117 on display for the first time. It was
encircled by a rope barrier. About 10 ft. further out was another rope
barrier creating a "no-man's land" in which 4 or 5 armed guards were
patrolling. My friend squatted down to get a photo of the plane and as
he aimed his camera his elbows were hooked over the outer rope. A
guard promptly walked over to my friend and "gently" tapped one of his
elbows with the butt of his rifle. After my friend got over his
initial embarrassment he finally agreed with my brother and me that it
was pretty funny.

TonyP.

Reminds *me* of the Blue Angels Homecoming Show at Pensacola in 1997. At
the sparsely-attended Friday show, the static display F-117A was parked
with nary a barrier, restraint or AP in sight in the morning when I
arrived. The next day, there were half-a-dozen APs standing about glaring
menacingly behind a rope barricade with Mossberg 590s.