Adventure Air Amphibian accident

Old November 11th 04, 04:32 PM
Ed Baker

Default Adventure Air Amphibian accident

A close friend of mine died in an Adventure Air amphibian crash at
North Central airport in RI. The accident date was Oct 29, 2004.

After spending close to 11 years building it, he perished on his third
flight in just over a week of testing it.

Myself, and many others, in my local EAA chapter 701 believe that it
looks like the engine pylon and nacelle disrupted the airflow over the
tail on his base to final turn. This caused an EXTREME pitch over
event that could not be recovered from at his altitude.

I know the Adventure Air has a spotty accident rate. A famous, in
flight breakup, at Oshkosh as a prime example.

Does anyone know how many Adventure Air planes were completed?
Does anyone know of other accidents concerning this plane?
Old November 11th 04, 06:23 PM
C.D.Damron

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

Were there any witnesses? Is there any other information that contributes
to this theory? Many pilots have met their fate on a turn to final in
perfectly good aircraft.

om...

Old November 11th 04, 09:12 PM
Ron Webb

The Adventurer has an active users group He
http://beta.communities.fr.msn.ca/Ad...entalAmphibian

It has gone a bit silent lately. Everybody's in shock I guess. There are
several aircraft just on the verge of flying.

There was a previous crash, but the cause was unrelated to this one (it fell
apart in flight).
http://ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?id=CHI97FA248&rpt=fa

After this first crash, the users group paid a high profile aronautical
engineer to look at the design. His recommendations have been incorporated
in most of the new ones.

There have been (as far as we know) 8 adventurers completed and flown.
Several more are in taxi testing.

om...

Old November 12th 04, 02:46 PM
Jean-Paul Roy

Hi Ed, very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. How are you making
out with your Odissey building.
Jean-Paul
Angliers, Canada
om...