Flew an R44 Raven II today...

Old March 19th 05, 05:50 AM
joe

Default Flew an R44 Raven II today...

Have you priced the insurance on the 44? Thats what killed my dreams.

Joe

I'd been kicking around the idea of going in halves with a co-worker
on an R22 but now that I've flown the 44, I don't think I want to go
back to the 22s.. Anyone got $150k I can have???

Old March 20th 05, 02:22 AM
Steve R.

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
Did some transition training in a Raven II today. Man, what a sweet
ship that thing is compared to the 22s...

It is sweet moving up to a more powerful machine, isn't it! I got my fixed
wing license in a wore out 1967 C150 with a climb prop. Max cruise was
about 105 mph! After my check ride, my instructor took my through my high
performance check off in C182. Man, what a difference! :-) At one point,
we did a max performance short field take-off with just the two of us and a
little less than half tanks. Accelerate in a 3 point attitude to Vx, rotate
and climb to clear the 50' obstacle. We hit Vx, I rotated and the aircraft
kept accelerating. I kept pulling the nose up to hold Vx, or rather get
back down to it (!), until my instructor said enough. Push the nose back
over to a normal climb attitude and accelerate away and we're at 400+ feet
and not quite half way down a 5000' runway. Great fun! :-D

My question is, how did you have the Raven loaded? I imagine that the R22's
you trained in were flying close to gross weight most of the time. I know
that we kept that old 150 right up next to gross weight all the time.
Flying a more powerful aircraft and running it as a relative fraction of
it's carrying capacity doesn't hurt the performance figures!

Fly Safe,
Steve R.

Old March 21st 05, 01:10 AM
Steve R.

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
Full fuel and 400 lbs of bodies on board - just about 200 lbs shy of
max gross. Even though my next flight in the beasty is going to be
under the foggles, I can't wait..

I / we can't wait to read about it! :-)

Fly Safe,
Steve R.

Old April 1st 05, 07:30 PM
Darrel Toepfer

The OTHER Kevin in San Diego wrote:

Full fuel and 400 lbs of bodies on board - just about 200 lbs shy of
max gross. Even though my next flight in the beasty is going to be
under the foggles, I can't wait..

Hey, room for the family...
Old April 4th 05, 07:58 PM
Darrel Toepfer

The OTHER Kevin in San Diego wrote:

Hey, room for the family...

Someone's gonna be sittin' in the terminal.. Only 4 seats in the
Raven and 5 souls in the family. Gonna need a Long Ranger or wait for
Frank & Co. to come out with the R66.

200lbs of space allows you to take 1 or 2 along at a time...